So now we have to avoid shower gel?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22754944

You know what....I think I'm just going to carry on as I am! :dohh:

i just saw this on bbc breakfast. apparently the list of possible chemical exposures is pretty long! the gp however said dont change what you are doing as there is no concrete evidence, so...why terrify pregnant women before you know for a fact that they are harmful?

I am surprised the RCOG put this out - could possibly have something to do with the amount of phone calls they were getting from anxious and overly cautious parents-to-be. I haven't read it though, maybe they are just trying to fill the gap of information on these areas. Certainly doesn't seem helpful though.

The basic jist is that the chemicals present in all the things listed in the article: paint, ready meals, shower gel, new furniture, sunscreen etc etc etc could be harmful and that pregnant women should try to avoid them. However, the vast majority of it is completely unproven. Personally, I think they're just trying to cover their own backs so that in 5-50 years time, whenever they prove that cancer is caused by one of them and people try to sue, they can say 'well, we did give this advice and your mother should have followed it'.

Bloody ridiculous if you ask me! Pointless and not worth the paper it's been published on! It's just going to cause panic in the ftm population, and as parents we have enough to worry about.

If you listened to everything we should avoid you would be scared to do anything and go anywhere! X

Best we lock ourselves up during pregnancy. How did other generations manage? :)

i just saw this on bbc breakfast. apparently the list of possible chemical exposures is pretty long! the gp however said dont change what you are doing as there is no concrete evidence, so...why terrify pregnant women before you know for a fact that they are harmful?

I saw it too - I was shouting at the TV I was so angry! Did you hear some of the things that they were saying to avoid - new prams, chairs, cots!

I think this is just scaremongering at its worst. The RCOG should never have released anything if they don't have actual proof.

I've already had a phone call from MIL about it saying not to use shower gel!

Whaaaaaaat? I used a non-stick frying pan last night AND I just used shower gel, gonna bleach my body in case baby has been harmed.

(Bloody ridiculous report!)

Oh dear.....

I use shower gel, non stick frying pans, cleaning products and painted the kitchen a few weeks ago!!!

Its getting ridiculous now how any of us survived when are parents were pregnant is a miracle really! :wacko:

Oh for gods sake!!
Apparently they were just saying on Lorraine that moisuriser is one of the worst culprits?? Seriously if i couldnt use moisuriser my entire body would resemble a cheese grater at the moment :dohh:

I think im going to carry on as i am until theres some actual evidence that these things cause harm!

I saw it too - I was shouting at the TV I was so angry! Did you hear some of the things that they were saying to avoid - new prams, chairs, cots!

I think this is just scaremongering at its worst. The RCOG should never have released anything if they don't have actual proof.

I've already had a phone call from MIL about it saying not to use shower gel!

Sadly I am one of those paranoid pregnant ladies but this is just a farse. that woman from Glasgow had no idea what she was saying, and she was a reproductive scientist.....worrying!

I have a new car, so i guess i should just stop leaving the house altogether! arg i have a midwife app today so will see what she says.

I just cleaned my bathroom with various chemicals followed by touching up some paintwork!! Call social services!! *facepalm* :coffee:

Hubbie saw this earlier today and classified it as the 'least helpful piece of information he has ever read'. We are ignoring it totally.

They are always finding something that pregnant women should or shouldn't do use etc...
Madness

Next time I am pregnant I won't be surprised if I am made to quit work straight away, lock myself in a sterile room for nine months and avoid all contact with humans and animals.

It's getting stupid now the list of do's and dont's

I use natural products anyway, I like to avoid using loads of chemicals on my skin as there's enough crap that were breathing in Etc anyway! But each to their own.

An I knew it! I'd better not clean myself or the house. Much better that we both stink.

Oh for goodness sake! Its constant isn't it?! at this rate we'll all have to go live in a bubble for 9 months :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->