So p*ssed off! People can be so rude!

o0oCharlieo0o

Reaction score
I should learn, iv had 3 kids now and everytime iv told my mum name choices shes been rude about them and picked on them, but i still think maybe one day she will learn a bit of politeness but i guess i was wrong :( i told her today a couple of names we had come up with, when i told her the boys name she burst out laughing then taking the piss out of it! I said its just an idea and we have a long time yet but when my dad walked in she said 'ere guess what charlottes going to call it if its a boy' then told him the name and started laughing again! I never said i WAS calling the baby it and its not an awful name ffs! They both sat there making jokes about the name, i aint going to tell them any more name ideas, i find it so ignorant, i mean fair enough if you want to say something like 'I'm not keen' but to be outright rude and disrespectful is uncalled for, dont know if its just hormones but its really upset me

P.s the name is Parker, is it REALLY that bad?

P.s the name is Parker, is it REALLY that bad?

Parker isn't that bad. I personally wouldn't use it, but I have seen worse names being used. It's actually kinda cute.

My mom was the same way with my sister when she was picking names for her children. She has since sticks with the "I don't like it" and let it go. Which is good I think.

But hormonal or not, it is out right rude and disrespectful to do that. :growlmad:

What?! I know at least 2 Parkers and have never thought anything of their name! It sounds like she's just being mean. This is why I'm hesitant to tell anyone our names until after baby is born and named. My best friend ripped apart our first baby's name when we told her and did it this time around, too. So I'm not telling anyone else lol. Luckily I don't really care what she thinks, but family is a little different. Did you ask her why specifically she thought Parker was such a hilarious option??

if i were you id also be upset and angry. if someone doesnt like my name choice thats fine, give your opinion but if they laughed and made a joke of it id be extremely upset. have you spoken to her about the fact that you find it upsetting and you dont mind her opinion but no need to be rude?

i like the name by the way xx

I hate that. I mean thats an awful way to behave anyway but it really annoys me when people feel the urge to give their opinion where it is not wanted and it has nothing to do with them. If you ask someones opinion, obviously not everyone will like it and you will prepare yourself for negative comments but laughing and taking the mick is bang out of order. :/ I went to a family party when I was pregnant with my twins and everyone asked if I had names yet and then took the mick out of my boys name and critizised. I just felt like saying 'At what point exactly did I ask for your opinion? It is my child not yours, I will say that name every day not you!'

What?! I know at least 2 Parkers and have never thought anything of their name! It sounds like she's just being mean. This is why I'm hesitant to tell anyone our names until after baby is born and named. My best friend ripped apart our first baby's name when we told her and did it this time around, too. So I'm not telling anyone else lol. Luckily I don't really care what she thinks, but family is a little different. Did you ask her why specifically she thought Parker was such a hilarious option??

She made it clear herself why she didnt like it, apparently there is a thunderbird named Parker and my child would look stupid like a thunderbird, and the saying nosey Parker, she just kept laughing and taking the piss and saying she will just call is number 4 instead of Parker, its not even a definate name! Iv never seen thunderbirds so i wouldn't know, but most names have been used for something ffs, i remember when i wanted to name my first child tyler, she told me it sounded like a perverts name (she said it so i never named him it) the only one of my childrens name she didnt moan about was Kairen and thats because i named him after her, her name is Karen so i added in the I to make it a boys name (kai-ren) theres just no need for such rudeness these are my kids and my name choices

Her reasons sound a bit ridiculous. Someone will always know of some character or whatever with the same name, it doesn't immediately make the name a bad choice. And that's very rude of her to say she wouldn't even call the baby by its name, just #4. Wow. If I were you, I would tell her how offended you are and that you aren't going to share anymore name ideas with her if she's going to be like that. And go ahead and name your baby whatever you like!
P.s. - Is your son Kairen pronounced Ky-rin? We have a Kaillem (Ky-lum).

I don't understand why people think they have the right to make fun of a name that someone is thinking of calling their child, unless it's something seriously heinous like that lady that named her daughter Chlamydia. I'm sorry this happened to you. I also learned the lesson to not tell - both OH and I fell in love with the name Donovan, and once my FIL heard it he ripped it apart so bad that I could never even name a dog that now.

A coworker actually gave me some good advice - he advised me to make up fake names and tell people those when they ask. Then you won't care when people rip them apart

Her reasons sound a bit ridiculous. Someone will always know of some character or whatever with the same name, it doesn't immediately make the name a bad choice. And that's very rude of her to say she wouldn't even call the baby by its name, just #4. Wow. If I were you, I would tell her how offended you are and that you aren't going to share anymore name ideas with her if she's going to be like that. And go ahead and name your baby whatever you like!
P.s. - Is your son Kairen pronounced Ky-rin? We have a Kaillem (Ky-lum).

I did tell her i wont be telling her any more names and i wont so she has ruined it for herself now, theres only so much i can say to my mum though because it will end up in an argument :( kairen is pronounced more ky-ren, kaillem is a lovely name :) i love different names

My own mother isn't like that but my DH's grandmother told me that my DD's middle name was too long and that I should only use short names as middle names. When do you ever use middle names anyway? I personally would rather have a shorter first name since you write it more often. My first name is 8 letters and I HATE how long it is! For the next baby, if it is a girl, I'm planning on giving her a longer middle name than her first name too because I like it that way and in a way I'm kind of being spiteful to my DH's grandmother.

Also my dad is a bit like that. He didn't like ANY of the names I picked for my son, I think because he wanted me to use his name in it, but I named him after my DH instead. My dad about blew up on me for that!

But hey... it's my baby. I carried it for 9 months, I raised it. It is a privilege to be able to name it. After all... that's one of the most fun things about having a baby!

I love the name Parker (although I'm biased cos I called DD it lol). I had pretty much the same reaction from my mum, going on about nosey parker and how it reminded her of a parker pen. She's never once said it since she's been born though and the name definitely grew on her and everyone else.

I'd just ignore your mum, it's your child so call them what you like :flower:

Have only just started talking to my sister again after an incident like this I purposely chose not to discuss names knowing ppl wouldn't like them till she got all huffy so I told her and low and behold she had a ten minute rant about how horrible my choices were I'm not gonna go into everything she said but I was seriously offended I was literally shaking good job it was down the phone I just went quiet until she hung up. I'd never be that rude like pp said Id tell them I don't like it and leave it at that

I am thankful people at least tell me they like my name choices so far. But if anyone ever acted displeased towards a name choice, I would start throwing out completely random and awful names if or when those people would ask again.

That's ridiculous. Parker is an awesome name. I love it.

People do this they really think their opinions are so important myselfnand hubby have agreed no to tell anyone out names because last time my friend completely ridiculed me for choosing the name dexter ruined it for me, said the registrar would refuse it because it was cruel! What a twatt she was!

OH's dad died 3 years ago (unexpected) and his mum now has a new partner. They've been together about 8 months or something... When we told them our potential name choices, HE took the mick and laughed about our girls choice (Nancy). He actually laughed out loud and then kept repeating it in this stupid voice, and saying it was terrible. Couldn't believe the cheek of him so I can understand how angry you must be about your own mum doing it!

My own mother isn't like that but my DH's grandmother told me that my DD's middle name was too long and that I should only use short names as middle names. When do you ever use middle names anyway? I personally would rather have a shorter first name since you write it more often. My first name is 8 letters and I HATE how long it is! For the next baby, if it is a girl, I'm planning on giving her a longer middle name than her first name too because I like it that way and in a way I'm kind of being spiteful to my DH's grandmother.

My mum was purely evil if that's the case. My sister's first name is Elizabeth and her middle name is also long with 7 letters. Think she ran out of short names once she named me Amy and 6 letter middle name.

As to OP, its up to you to name your kids what you like. Mine are Ossian and Erika, which are rarely used. Never met another Ossian and only know one other Erica who happened to be born 2 weeks before mine. So I think I'm doing well with the unique names I wanted for my kids.

Parker is a cute name!
And regardless it's your baby and your choice! I really don't know why people think they are even entitled to bash other people's choice. Obviously not all people will like the same names but that's fair enough, but why be mean.

That was exactly the reason me and my oh did not tell 1 single person out ds name until he born. It was a little different so I knew people would give their unwanted opinions but I presumed they wouldn't be rude enough to do so after he was born and named with no chance of changing it. I was wrong, people have still been rude! I don't care though, I adore my son's name and think it's perfect for him.

Parker is a cute name!
And regardless it's your baby and your choice! I really don't know why people think they are even entitled to bash other people's choice. Obviously not all people will like the same names but that's fair enough, but why be mean.

That was exactly the reason me and my oh did not tell 1 single person out ds name until he born. It was a little different so I knew people would give their unwanted opinions but I presumed they wouldn't be rude enough to do so after he was born and named with no chance of changing it. I was wrong, people have still been rude! I don't care though, I adore my son's name and think it's perfect for him.

Thats the problem isnt it, im thinking now im just not going to tell anyone, but then i worry that when baby is born and we say the name people are going to be rude about it then and i will be really angry if they are rude about it when it is their actual name not just a choice of name, but i think im still not going to tell, more to teach my mum a valuable lesson than anything else, she will hate it that im not telling her the names but its her own fault, and your right not everyone likes the same names and people should respect that, im all for people saying they arent keen or dont like the name but to sit laughing for 15 minutes and ridiculing is just uncalled for :( not many people like my daughters name but as long as they arent rude im fine with people not liking it, i think its a beautiful name and so does my fiance :) and that is what matters after all, and as lomg as you love your sons name thats all that matters too, im glad you dont care what others think im going to try be more like that :)

Personally I think it's pretty rude to give ANY negative opinion on names unless an honest opinion is directly asked for, as in "I've been toying with the name [....] but I'm not sure. Ehat do you think?". NOT "We've been thinking about the name [.....] if it's a girl/boy".

Names are a personal thing, what if someone has a personal reason for chosing a certain name?

And btw OP, Parker isn't a bad name. Not a name I would choose but can you imagine if everybody in the world chose from just a handful of names? It would be pretty boring! Names like Parker, Walker and Hunter are all quite American names, less common in the UK but probably mainly because they're know more for being surnames. But no, it is not a bad name, just unusual. You name your name your baby whatever you want to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->