So sick of this crap

Pielette

Mum to little men
Reaction score
I really hope someone can explain to me why the hell this keeps happening because I'm at my wit's end.

Every single night my baby is up 3/4 times a night and one of them he's awake for an hour plus, sometimes two. He'll talk to himself (loudly) until he gets tired and then it's a screamfest. He's disturbing my toddler and DH and I are beyond exhausted.

There is no resettling him when he's awake and 'happy'. It's impossible. And getting him to calm down and go back to sleep once he's upset is really difficult.

If he naps well or badly during the day it makes no difference.

I've had this sleep deprivation for going on 6 months now and I now want to punch things in the middle of the night. I don't mind feeding him overnight. But the random wake ups and two hourly long parties are killing me.

Any way u can just let him be? I know it disturbs toddler but he would need to Be sleep trained because at this point it's just a habit... Can u put on white noise machine so that if he wakes and is noisy it won't disturb the other one?

My lo did this a lot when his first two teeth were coming in, I just hung tight, didn't engage with him at all when he woke up and it eventually stopped after those teeth came through

It was the same with us at about that age. How I hated the mtnp. I screamed into the pillow, gouged my eyes, pulled my hair. Many times I thought if those go on another night, I'm going to sleep train, but I never worked up the will to do it, and it did pass. The bad news: he's still not sleeping through and waking up multiple times, but at least he resettles quickly.

we've had this many many times although we don't also have a toddler.
For us it was either teeth or developmental and there are many things going on with their brains at 6 months, seems you've got a crap sleeper sorry, but hey you're not alone.
Can't offer advice other than ride it out, it's likely to pass so sleep training won't fix the issue.
Maybe get someone to look after toddler for an afternoon so you can rest? sleep deprivation is a killer!

I have no advice and can imagine how hard it would be to have a crap sleep and a toddler! My LO is a terrible sleeper and it drives me up the wall at times. Hope things start to improve for you xx

I can sympathize! My 10 month old lately seems to think bedtime is really naptime and after an hour or so is up again for hours with no signs of tiring!! 0_0 I very much think it's due to teething (she just got 2 teeth through and 2 more are coming), getting over being sick and having her routine a bit messed up and I even read about Wonder Weeks last night and she's a few days shy of #46! When we put her back down she has a party in her crib! And this was a baby who used to love sleep. The past few months were so easy. I knew it was too good to be true and at some point or another this was bound to happen! :S So, I'm not really of much help but just wanted to let you know I'm going through this now too!

My son doesnt have the issue of waking as often as yours but he wakes once at 3.30 most nights. For 2 weeks he didnt sleep after his bottle and I would try everything to resettle him, then I realised he wasnt upset ao I left him. To start with it took over 2 hours for his babbling and laughing to stop then it gradually got better and now its 5 mins. From previous posts I think I remember you cosleep so dont no how easy this would be but I just left him in his cot and didnt go in (sounds so cruel when I write it down) but he wasnt crying he was happy! As others have said ride it out itl likely pass. I really hope it passes quickly for you!!!

Total sympathy from another mama to a non-sleeper. It is excruciating! I can't tell you how many posts I have started on here about her sleep (since she was 3 weeks old as well!) and it has never gotten significantly better, and we DID break down and try some sleep training.

I would love to "leave her" to it and let her learn to go back to sleep but my daughter has no concept of playing or cooing quietly. She goes from deep asleep to sitting up screaming in the bat of an eye. And will happily continue screaming her lungs out for hours on end if not tended to, but the tending can take hours as well so it is a total lose-lose situation.

So I have NO idea what might help fix this, but I did want to say one of the things I am working on is resigning myself to the concept that she was BORN a rubbish sleeper. She has been from day one. She probably will be at age 20 still. It is just who she is, though it is difficult to accept that when I got (quite literally) 3 hours of sleep last night and she is 7 months old.

So HUGS!

Massive hugs Vanessa - I just wanted to send some and let you know I still feel your pain too! Can't believe Charlotte like Milo is approaching 6 months and still I get about 3 hours sleep a night. Concealer is my friend! I've had some devastating family stuff to deal with the last couple of weeks so that has made it even harder to deal with. All I hold onto, and wanted to let you know is that apparently there are certain key stages - 6,12,18 months etc and it is very rare (like 2 percent of babies) that have sleep issues at every one of them so the likelihood of our babies sleeping soon is high! I hold onto that hope, and also just try and go with it and enjoy the night time cuddles as much as I can... You can do this, you really can! One day he'll be a teenager and sleeping all day!!!
Pm anytime if you need to rant, Claire

:hugs: for the past 2 or 3 weeks Bee has been waking between 3 and 10 times! The 4am wake up she wont settle in her cot and will talk and giggle (cute, but tooo early!) so she comes into our bed and sleeps like a log.

Joel went through a terrible stage at 6 months where he was waking hourly. For us it was developmental plus teething. It kind of stopped around 7.5 monthsNd now we have random sleeping through mixed with waking up between one and four times. It's a bit weird. Add a 2 year old who doesn't sleep through every night either and doesn't self settle and I know where you're at in the middle of the night. It's so wearying. My husband wonders why I get so grumpy and complains about being tired if he so much as wakes up for ten seconds.

I really hope things improve for you soon. I remember you ordered the no cry sleep book, did it help?

Your baby isn't necessary a crap sleeper. I can't work weeks out using months but there's a wonder week that starts at 22.5 weeks and goes onto 27 weeks. My little one slept well then literally as soon as we hit 22.5 weeks he was restless wanted to play had midnight parties. It went on literally until 26 weeks and then he suddenly sttn he still does now apart from teething. It was a long 4 weeks that's for sure.

Wss^^^ your LO is coming to the end of WW and probably doing a bit of teething.

We've had the same thing, multiple night wakings and 4am chatting and blowing raspberries for an hour or so.

Hang in there, I feel like it's getting a bit better my end so hopefully your LO will be over it in the next 2-3 weeks. I know it's bloody hard!

If it doesn't get any better, you might have to think about some sleep training to teach self settling when your LO gets a bit older. That's my plan anyway!

Good luck xx

Nothing you can do but ride it out. My son did not sttn til 15 months! It is horrendous.

Thank you so much ladies, I really appreciate this forum and all it's support. I never really needed it with my first but with this one it's like the only place where people understand me! Most of the other babies I know aren't anything like him.

Yeah I can't really leave him - well we do while he's talking to himself because there's nothing we can do about it, but of course we can't sleep because he's noisy and I'm on edge waiting for the screaming to start, which it inevitably does.

I'm aware that we're probably smack bang in the middle of two horrendous wonder weeks running back to back. It's just taken me by surprise I guess, because it never affected my eldest as badly. I do remember wake ups but they weren't nearly as bad!

Babybear thank you, that gives me hope!

DH has actually come to the conclusion that Milo is very overtired and that we've been misreading his cues. I thought his awake time during the day was around two to two and a half hours but at the slightest hint of grumpiness today we've been putting him down for a nap, usually after an hour and a half and he's gone down really easily, which isn't like him. Also put him to bed early and it's been nearly five hours since he's had a feed which is shocking for him. Of course my boobs are suffering but hey :dohh:

Little_lady yes the book is very good actually and it has solved some potential sleep associations for us. He no longer feeds to sleep and we settle him in his cot which is great, so there are positives. I just find it hard to see them in the middle of the night.

Bless my DH, he came home from work after I had a mini meltdown this morning and sent me to bed, I slept for three blissful uninterrupted hours.

Thank you all so much :hugs:

We are having this problem at the moment too & I am pretty sure it is linked to his first 3 teeth coming through. Waking every 1-3 hours is a killer, by the 3rd or 4th time in the night I feel like punching a wall or screaming or crying too, it is horrible :(

Hang in there, I am sure it will pass for all of us! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->