So stressed out about feeding and nappies

bobobodkins

Reaction score
I am so worried about my 16 week old. He is not feeding great and is having less wet nappies than before. I've been to the doctor and even hospital and nothing came up. My doctor said that he needs to have 6-8 wet nappies in 24 hours but some of his are not heavy at all. I am so stressed about this that I have started weighing nappies. Weight gain has been ok overall but some weeks it's half what it should be. The stress of all this is starting to take a huge toll on my own mental health. He often screams when he is feeding and other times won't feed at all. I've tried expressing but he will not take a bottle at all. Anyone got any words of wisdom?

At this age it could be a lot of things .. Growth spurt, teething, LO getting nosey whilst feeding & possible recent jabs can affect baby. I'm going through all of this at the moment including LO having a cold.

I would say though as long as LO is gaining something you are supplying enough milk, if LO was not gaining or losing then there would be a problem. I was very concerned last week but hv & BF coordinator for the area put my mind at rest & fingers crossed this week LO has seemed better with her feeding.

When LO was first born I wasn't supplying her enough milk confirmed through weight loss. She had very few wet nappies & the ones she did had smelt very very strong, this was because she was dehydrated not getting milk.

Hopefully LO will go back to usual feeding for you

Thanks so much for replying. It's reassuring to hear someone else is going through something similar! I probably need to relax a bit - as you said there was no weight loss. Hopefully thinks start to get easier!

Are you using disposables?
We used Huggies for awhile to get rid of a diaper rash, and I noticed some of them barely felt wet at all. When she is in her cloth diapers, they are completely soaked. Maybe your diapers are hiding some of the wetness?

About the screaming while feeding, if I don't feed my dd the moment she starts rooting around, she gets very frustrated when I try to get her latched on. Also, if my milk doesn't let down within her first few sucks, she freaks out and screams bloody murder! She is not a patient one lol...maybe yours is something similar?

HI wish4baby,

We are using disposables. He is having wet nappies just not as heavy as they used to be and I don't know why. Regarding the screaming - I really don't know. He comes off sometimes with his face covered in milk which I think means it's coming out too fast. I've tried pumping in advance and I feed him lying flat but it makes no difference.

Hi justmeinlove,

Yes feeding seems like it causes pain sometimes but not always. I have eliminated foods from my diet in an effort to try to figure out the cause but I haven't been successful yet.

If your LO is lactose intolerant you won't be able to eliminate lactose from your milk. If you are really worried, seek another opinion.

When LO was young I was certain he was CMPI and I asked several drs and they all said no, absolutely not, he is not showing the 'right' symptoms. So we carried on but eventually I forced our GP to refer us to a paed and 20 mins with him and LO was diagnosed CMPI. So, if your gut is really telling you something is not right, keep asking.

Also, LO had a moderate lip tie which caused difficulty with milk transfer and we had difficulty with feeding about 16 weeks too, my supply dropped down and LO had difficulty maintaining a latch. Have you had a LC check for lip or tongue tie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->