So sunscreen isn't safe now???

Alexas Mommy

Reaction score
Ughh... OH just looked up sunscreen safety and read that sunscreen is not safe for pregnant women, as it may cause abnormal development in the fetus? :huh:

As if we don't already have enough to worry about :/

According to this it's fine...

https://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc?page=3

I'm sure sun screen is better than sun stroke and sun burn, I'm not staying indoors all summer lol.

I wore a tonne of sun cream when I was pregnant with DD and have this time too.. I'm pale and burn easily so need to :L My DD is fine :shrug:

Wow should we justbwrap ourselves in bubble wrap although theres probably something bad for us in that :haha:
It gets a bit crazy and I burn so easy when pregnant I can't imagine not wearing it :shrug:

What did you read? Can you please put up a link? Thanks!

It's probably because they can't test on pregnant women so there's a lot of things which haven't been tested so can't be declared 100% safe despite most certainly ok.

It's probably because they can't test on pregnant women so there's a lot of things which haven't been tested so can't be declared 100% safe despite most certainly ok.

Double agreed.
They can't declare things as 'safe for use in pregnancy' until they have been specifically tested for use on pregnant women which would be extremely costly and time consuming. Even make up, shower gel, deodorant etc hasn't been tested for use in pregnancy but I'm not about to stop using that.
Sunscreen is fine, it's a lot better for you than sunburn. And like PP said, I'm not about to stay in all summer. If we avoided everything that hadn't been tested for use in pregnancy it would be a pretty boring life!

There are a few sites that state that some ingredients are too toxic to use during pregnancy, but then I found this just now:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/05/25/sunscreen-pregnancy.html

So basically we are supposed to buy certain sunscreen and avoid regular sunscreen...

I trust my midwives and doctors to advise me on this kind of thing, I have read a lot of NHS advise and never been warned so am not concerned. Tbh I don't need to wear it much in the UK, this weekend was the first time I needed it this year haha. If I was wearing it everyday I would research more. Does this mean potentially face moisturisers with SPF could be bad? Either way, I'm not putting myself in a bubble I'm pregnant not ill and need to be rational.

There are two kinds, mineral and chemical. Mineral sits on the skin and blocks the UV rays. Chemical gets absorbed into the skin (and into the blood), and then absorbs the UV light. I prefer mineral because I feel it is a little safer, and I use that on my kids. Chemical sunscreens have hormone disruptors that make me scared to use them on my kids. That being said, my mom used chemical sunscreens on me all my life, and I even used them until recently on myself and my kids until I did more research. I don't think it has hurt me, but I like to be on the safe side, and use a safer option if available :)

I didn't even think twice about sunscreen not being safe-it's supposed to keep us safe from the suns dangerous rays! But now that I know that there is a better option for sunscreen, I am definitely switching-I am all for using non-chemical products whether I am pregnant or not!!

Thanks for the links :coffee:

Double agreed.
They can't declare things as 'safe for use in pregnancy' until they have been specifically tested for use on pregnant women which would be extremely costly and time consuming. Even make up, shower gel, deodorant etc hasn't been tested for use in pregnancy but I'm not about to stop using that.
Sunscreen is fine, it's a lot better for you than sunburn. And like PP said, I'm not about to stay in all summer. If we avoided everything that hadn't been tested for use in pregnancy it would be a pretty boring life!

Plus, how many pregnant women are actually willing to be tested on!!

If it worries you and you get out a lot, the most safest+ effective sunscreen is to use nature. And they are found in some sunscreen brands. Virgin coconut oil and hemp oil are really great and effective sunscreen. I rather do natural. No worries on side effects.

I have albinism and HAVE to wear it everyday. Five minutes out gets me burned. I don't coat myself. Just parts that are exposed to the sun (mainly arms and face). I think it's fine. I use spf 15.

I also have a serious condition that requires me to wear it on a smallish part of my body every single day. I hope it hasn't hurt the baby!

I'd rather use the sunscreen and not get a bad sunburn or heat exhaustion or skin cancer. I've even used bug spray (sparingly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->