So the HV mentioned those dreaded words "formula top up!"

heather1212

Reaction score
So my LO has had issues with weight gain due to his sickiness, well I say he's had issues but only according to HVs and his growth chart in his red book! In my eyes he's happy, healthy, content, he weighed 7 lb 1 oz at birth and now at 10 and a half weeks old he weighs 11 lb 3 oz which I'm really pleased with! He tends to put on a lot of weight one week, for example this week he put on 8.5 oz but then other weeks he won't put on as much, the week before he gained 3.5 oz. He's never lost weight, in his first few weeks he piled weight on so shot up on his chart but then he dropped a couple of centiles and is now in the 9th.
The hv told me how if he drops another centile we will need to "do something" so the hv that I saw this week, who I've never seen before, I asked what exactly we will need to and she said oh probably just top up with formula!
Grrrr! I was feeling so happy that LO had done so well with his weight gain then for her to mention formula it's just made me feel a bit crappy! I'm also suffering with some nipple/breast pain at the minute that's also getting me down even though it's not that bad, I've got piles of washing up to do and OH won't help me, I've got housework to do and I just can't motivate myself to do it as I feel all down in the dumps! :-(
I felt so confident not so long ago! Things were getting so much easier and I was so happy!
Does anyone else have these dips in confidence that just get them down and make everything feel a bit poop?
Heather x

:hugs: i feel just as unconfident some days, sleepless nights, worring about youngest (is she safe, too hot, too cold, has she been sick, is she comfortable etc) worrying about eldest DD (is she feeling left out, is she missing out on sleep due to LO crying, is she feeling as loved etc) then frustrated/angry over OH, i ask for help with youngest he complains he cant because she apparently hates him because he doesnt smell like milk, doesnt change nappies or clothes or settle her to sleep.
some days i just want to stay in bed and not get up for weeks, but obviously i have to lol!
As for formula top ups, if you dont want to then dont, just pump between feeds to boost your supply or stick your LO on the breast whenever he is awake to boost supply. As long as you know your LO is happy, healthy and thriving then tell the HV were to stick it, as long as you tell them that you know he is fine and if a more serious problem with his weight occurs then you will then think about formula top ups but that at the minute you dont think there is any need to risk your breastfeeding routine by bringing formula into the mix.
good luck hun, im sure he is fine, mummy always knows best xxx:hugs:

ETA: a health visitor saying that your not giving your son enough milk on your own is bound to kick your confidence down to the ground, especially when you know you have been doing so well! dont let it get to you as much as it has, start a fresh knowing that you are doing the best and right thing for your son :) ...by the way, he is GORGEOUS!! xxx

Yet again medical "professionals" giving bad advice! :growlmad:

Please ignore this HV Heather. It sounds to me like your LO is doing great! :thumbup:

All babies are different. Just because yours isn't following the "normal" progression on the weight chart doesn't mean there is something wrong! Providing he is content after feeds, gaining weight, producing a good number of wet and dirty nappies (although remember BF babies can go days or even a week or so without a dirty nappy) and is alert when awake I really wouldn't worry at all! :flower:

If you offer formula top ups the chances are you will end up unintentionally reducing your supply and then you WILL have supply issues.

Keep feeding as you are :thumbup:

You do know you don't HAVE to see a HV or get LO weighed that often? It is all up to you - you could take him to a different childrens centre if you wanted to to check his weight - you don't have to see the same HV everytime or go to the same place.

Can you describe the breast / nipple pain? What are you doing to combat it?

Try not to worry about the housework - I'm sure the majority of it can wait. I'd talk to your OH - explain how you are feeling - you need his support at the moment, even if it's just him doing more around the house and leaving you feeling less stressed.

It's normal to have highs and lows after just having a baby - it can take months for your hormones to go back to normal - and when breastfeeding you have lots of hormones flying around too! :dohh:

:hugs::hugs: xx

^^I've been getting LO weighed every week as the HV recommended I do so due to his sickness and weight issues! Tbh I think I'm going to start going less often as I just dread the weekly weigh in as I dread what advice the HV is going to give me next!
With regards to the breast pain, I've just spoken to our local breastfeeding support who I trust more than gp or hv without a shadow of a doubt! They think it's either thrush or reynauds so they've recommended I treat for thrush to rule that out first.
The pain isn't really bad or unbearable, it's worse in one breast than the other. When LO feeds it feels ok, although on my right breast towards the end of the feed it feels a bit sore like a rough sensation on my nipple. Inbetween feeds the pain comes and goes, it's like a stingy sort of pain. It's worse when I'm cold and feels a bit sore when my nipples rub on my breast pads. Also, it doesn't help that LO sometimes tugs on my nipple, popping off and on repeatedly! That makes me sore!
The pains and sensations are almost the same as it felt in the early days when I'd just started breastfeeding, which is quite strange!

Thank you ladies for your responses!
Heather x

Even if there is an issue with weight, or even a serious medical problem which needs to be closely monitored re: weight, new NHS guidelines state that babies should still be weighed no more than once a month; and in the case of other babies with no concerns they should only be weighed at around 5 days, 10-14 days, 4, 8, 12 and 16 weeks (if desired) and then not again until 1 year. I think you're right to go less often; it doesn't sound as if they are adding all the weights together and averaging them out as they should be xx

if your worried about how much your Lo is gaining then invest in some digi scales and weigh yourself and then weigh yourself again whilst holding LO, take away your first weight to get LO weight, it wont be as accurate as weighing him at clinic but at least it reassures you that he isnt losing weight, then you dont need to go to the clinc as often nd can just go if you have any worries xx

I have proper baby weighing scales; they aren't the ones used in the clinics but they are the type used by some MWs and HVs for home visits so they are pretty accurate. They were one of the best baby purchases I have ever made xx

well i wouldnt bother going often then, as long as your happy with his weight gain xxx

My HV was saying just the other day that weekly weigh-ins are useless - apparently even something as small as them just having had a feed or a poo makes such a big difference when you're talking about the impact on such a small amount of difference between one week's weight and the next.

I know how hard it is hun, my house looks like a bomb's hit it still as although he has longer between feeds he still isn't sleeping very much. My MIL came the other day to help out, she helped me with housework and then kept LO for an hour so I could nap. Is there anyone that can come and give you a hand?

Just remember you're doing the absolute best for your LO's health, development, IQ, bonding, etc. Read Normalfed if you want something to reaffirm why you're doing this, and trust in your body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->