"So... when r u going to have a baby?" share yr fav responses to the dreaded question

Jan34

Expecting #1
Reaction score
So girls.... we've all been there. Some well meaning but insensitive friend / colleague / relative asks when you're going to have kids and you have to bite your tounge and reply....... well what exactly? If you've found the perfect response please share with us all!

My favs are;

1) I'm far too succesful and important at work to think about having children yet (if only that were true but it shuts them up!)
2) when I win the lottery
3) (If they've had kids) - Not yet. But whilst we're on the subject, are you / your husband going to get sterilied now you've had kids? - haven't been brave enough to use this one yet mind you.

An old female friend of my DH who has 2 children was the last person who asked this question - DH reply was 'when I grow up!'

I told him he should have asked her in return 'when are you going to get married' - as she is not married yet - but that would have been bitchy and I would never ask someone that question so why should she think it is ok to ask us the baby question?!!

Should add - not that there is anything wrong with having children when your not married but you get the idea - it's one of those questions that in my opinion should not matter and should not really be asked! x

'when I grow up!' QUOTE]

I like that one!

Yes - no one should ever ask that question, but as we all know, some people seem to think our reproductive lives are their business.... grrrr....

"Either when I start ovulating or some doctor decides to force me to do so so he can drag the eggs out of me and fertilise them himself, maybe?"

"Either when I start ovulating or some doctor decides to force me to do so so he can drag the eggs out of me and fertilise them himself, maybe?"

Mine is very similar to that one! I have started to use "When the dr finds the right fertility drugs to make my body work like it is supposed to. So far that has not happened yet, but thanks for reminding me"

Yeah... I think the bitterness might come out a bit:rofl:

I tend to go for the 'I'm enjoying life too much at the moment' line while looking wistfully at the baby they're holding. This year, I tend to say 'am focusing on my novel at the moment so mebbe after that'. I feel this instinct to give that whole 'I'm happy as I am, why would I wanna rush into a life of no lie-ins and baby puke' but the truth is, I DO want that life! So it's all a big fat lie.

I often say.......'when you learn to stop asking personal questions'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Works a treat every time hehehe x

I used to say the whole "when our lives settle down and we aren't so busy"

Now I say "well, unfortunately its not that easy for everyone" then I change the subject...keeps them guessing but keeps me happy that i'm not spinning shit.

Another one I plan to use is "that is between my husband and I" because its a fucking rude and imposing question to ask...none of anyones fucking business!

I normally say...

'when they are on special at the supermarket - i'm waiting for the buy one get one free option.... i need to retain my girlish figure don't you know'.

Most people chuckle and don't say anything more after that!!

If i'm feeling particularly mean i just say i'm infertile and watch the look of horror on their face as they struggle to back track. God i'm mean. :rofl:

mine is....oh not for ages yet, they are a pain in the arse!!!

Someone at work asked me this a while ago - a few months after our m/c which they were fully aware of!! I was too furious to answer but my co worker piped up with a perfect response

"When you grow some fucking tact"

I love it!

I normally say...

'when they are on special at the supermarket - i'm waiting for the buy one get one free option.... i need to retain my girlish figure don't you know'.

Most people chuckle and don't say anything more after that!!

I love that one!

Oh I could be doing with some news excuses!

After we got married 2 years ago I was asked this everyday of my life. I was at uni then so I said when graduate. When I graduated, it became when I get a job. When I got a job, it became when we get the house done up, get a new car, etc etc lol

Now my family have stopped asking!!

When other random, nosey people ask I just say Im far too young for babies, yuck......... then I go home and cry : (

I usually say 'we're working on it' with that glint in my eye that suggests we're having lots of sex, which usually shuts people up as that's not a conversation they wanna have! :)

Keeping in mind i sometimes get rude comments such as 'better get on with it' as well due to my age, the above response works a treat for that too!

I actually said to a couple of people "we're not cos DH lost both his balls in a bad jumping over a fence accident"!!!! Ha ha ha! DH actually used this excuse himself once too! People look shocked and then change the subject- not sure whether to laugh or if you're being serious!
Or sometimes i'd say "who knows, we had really good noisy sex last night if that's what you're asking me"!!! I mean jeez - people literally are asking you about your sex life. I find it all very odd that people think its ok to ask this sort of question!

Someone at work asked me this a while ago - a few months after our m/c which they were fully aware of!! I was too furious to answer but my co worker piped up with a perfect response

"When you grow some fucking tact"

I love it!

Ha! :rofl:

I originally used the "I'm waiting to buy a house" excuse. Now it's "I'm waiting until I have tenure at school" (in the US, tenure guarantees our position after teaching for 3 years and I will have it in June). Ugh, I really hate making excuses...

When people ask me i usually respond with "yes me and my husband have sex!" shuts them up no matter how they asked! If babies we're not a result of sex then they wouldn't ask if we had sex if that makes sense???? grr!!! Winds me up!!!!

Some excellent responses here, woe betide the next person foolish enough to ask me that quesion!

Now all I just need is a response for my friend who likes to tell us all that he wishes he and his wife hadn't got pregnant first time coz he'd have got to have more sex that way. Then I'll be 1) completely ready to respond to any nasty quip and 2) I won't be forced to get my baseball bat out and beat him!

I actually said to a couple of people "we're not cos DH lost both his balls in a bad jumping over a fence accident"!!!! Ha ha ha! DH actually used this excuse himself once too! People look shocked and then change the subject- not sure whether to laugh or if you're being serious!
Or sometimes i'd say "who knows, we had really good noisy sex last night if that's what you're asking me"!!! I mean jeez - people literally are asking you about your sex life. I find it all very odd that people think its ok to ask this sort of question!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OMG - what a great come back - made me laugh out loud!

Yeah, I've also told said to someone 'well we pratice like everyday!' Do you know what - I think some people forget how much sex is required in this TTC lark! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->