Sofabeds... yay or nay?

L

Laura--x

I don't know what to doo! Please help girls!

Most of you proberly know, we are converting our downstairs front room into a living/sleeping area for me,oh and baby. It'll be our own little living room to have our own space aswell as sleeping in there too, as my dad will have to use my bedroom as his work room.

The original plan was to get a sofabed, so we could have somewhere to sit in the day, then a double bed of a night. We was all ready to go, but as i started mentioning it to people i had so many people saying ' i wouldn't do that, they arn't good for everyday sleeping, just get a double bed' and so on.

I would love to have a double bed, but then we would have nowhere to sit during the day and when i want to have friends over, i don't want to have to have them sit on a bed :dohh:, i did think about having a double bed then getting a 2 seater couch to have too, but i think that would just take up wayy to much room and not leave enough room for baby and so on.

Are sofabeds really not that good for everyday sleeping? obviously we would pay for a decent one, but even then people are advising against it!

What do you think??

i used to have a sofa bed and double bed in my room and i have to agree my sofa bed was good but i could not of slept on it all the time...

if you get a double bed during the day time you could pack it out with custions(sp?) so its like a sofa? or get a small 2seater and put it at the end of the bed...

there has only been one sofa bed i can say i would sleep on night after night and that was my nans she brought from the linda barker range and it cost alot

My Mum had a sofabed in her spare room for us to use when we visited and it was terrible, really uncomfortable couldnt sleep properly and it wasnt a cheap one, she ended up buying a double bed. I would advise against it and i can see why you want one but you need to have somewhere to get a good comfortable sleep esp when baby is here. Good luck deciding! x

My sofabed was never comfy enough for everyday sleeping, however if you spent the money buying a high quality one I'm sure it would be fine. Another point is that if you're thinking about co-sleeping then you need a firm mattress and alot of sofa beds are quite flimsy.

I haven't slept on one, but Ikea do a really lovely (quite girly, so hope your OH is OK with it!) daybed, so it looks like a sofa in the daytime but at night it converts into a big (six foot, kingsize) double bed. It's called the Hemnes. Look it up on the Ikea website. Not too expensive either. Laura Ashley also do one, but it's about eight hundred quid!

Re sofabeds, in general I don't find them very comfortable for either sitting or sleeping. What I do like, however, for both sitting and sleeping, are futons. But then I am a hard-bed kind of girl, so I have no problem lying almost flat on the floor.

I'd recommend you actually try sitting and lying on a few different ones in the shops before you buy.

Oh, just thought ... there is one comfortable sofabed that I enjoy sleeping on, at my mum's. It's another Ikea jobbie, called something like Lyksiel. I think I may have spelled that wrong, so you'll have to do some searching to find the right thing.

Happy sitting/sleeping!

So you all agree it's best not to get one? :rofl:

I want one, for the space and it comes in handy for day and night, but a good nights sleep is important and will be even more so when i have a baby, so i guess i have to think about that!

Thanks girls x

My friends slept on their sofa bed for over 2 years - they got a piece of plywood to put under the mattress, then stored the wood behind the couch in the daytime. I plan on sleeping in the living room with my little lentil after it is born so that my DH can sleep (one of us needs to be sane, and he'll be working!) - I'll do the plywood thing and put some memory foam on top of the mattress. Mind you, I am an avid camper, and after living in Japan and sleeping on a true futon (it looks about as thick as a thin duvet!), I can sleep on just about anything!!!

Good luck! That ikea thing might be a good compromise!

:)
A

Nay Nay Nay Nay Nay!

do you remember when i had to sleep on my blow up mattress, my mum asked me if wanted to sleep on the sofa bed and i was straight in there with a NO! all the horrible springs and burgh! :rofl:

my friend had a 1room apartment she had no option but a sofa bed, she said it was fine it was designed for daily use. if you can find the right type i say go for it. i think i would.
x

I slept on one while staying at my mums for a month, my hips were crippled! And it took SO LONG to recover.

I admit by joints are looser than other peoples, but if you have just had a baby, your hips are going to be loose too. I'd say it would be safer to have a firmer mattress than a fold away bed can provide.

Ohhhhhhhhhh all the effort of of sofabed, sod that id just buy a bed hun. I couldny be bothered to keep making it up everyday with a tiny baby

Thats what i keep thinking, but having a double bed in there will take up enough space as it is, and we will need somewhere to sit during the day, urgh i dont know what to do :(

You could do it with a bed and a sofa but youd have to plan carefully, measure the room then check measurements of beds and sofa's to see what you could fit where.

Have you considered a really good futon? You can get really thick mattresses for them nowadays and they are pretty comfortable. There's a shop in London called the futon company (I think) - it's worth a look. They double up as a sofa too.

Good luck.

You could do it with a bed and a sofa but youd have to plan carefully, measure the room then check measurements of beds and sofa's to see what you could fit where.

Thats what i suggested, but my dad had a look at the room and said there was no way we could fit both in, and be able to 'live' in there with a baby. :(

We have just been sharing a single bed for the past 2 and a half years :rofl:, we COULD do that but i would really love a double bed :(

x

I suggest a really good futon (not the flimsy sort you get from Argos et al.) or a day bed. It depends on your budget, but I bet you can get a top quality futon for less than it would cost for a double bed with a decent mattress plus a sofa.

We are willing to pay for a good one, it's going to be the most important thing to buy now so we need to make sure we get a good one.

Can anyone suggest any good ones? Had a look at some of the futons and they look good.. but tbh i have no idea what to look for :blush:

We are willing to pay for a good one, it's going to be the most important thing to buy now so we need to make sure we get a good one.

Can anyone suggest any good ones? Had a look at some of the futons and they look good.. but tbh i have no idea what to look for :blush:

The best thing is to go and sit and lie on some. A good futon mattress will be thick and very firm as well as heavy! If you can lift it on your own it's not good enough! The frame should be very sturdy and sit a little off the ground so that it isn't too low.

We were using a futon as a sofa for a few weeks and it was too low to the ground, making it very difficult to get up and down from for me in this state!

So just watch out for that.

Yeah I think a futon is the best option, we have one in our front spare room and guests love it, I got it off my mum and I did sleep on if for a couple of years with no problems, but make sure is a good one with a good mattress, like Shifter says if you can pick it up on your own its not good enough and make sure its not too low. I really hope this helps and you can find a good one. Take care :hugs: XX

ah, my friend did have a great futon. If you wanted single you didn't have to put it down, and if you wanted double the back would go down so that there was only one crease down the middle and noone had to sleep on that. That was comfy. But regular sofabeds with two folds you have to lie over are not :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->