Soft Ice-cream

If the above was true there would be WAY more cases of listeria!! Not just in pregnant women but children and adults too!!

I posted this in another thread when someone was worried they had Listeria. I looked up some stats: https://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/acm667.pdf

The key point was "Between 1990 and 2000 there were between 114 and 136
laboratory confirmed cases in the UK per year." and "Around 16% of cases in
England and Wales between 1990 and 2003 were pregnancy-associated, the
remainder being associated with other vulnerable groups particularly the elderly
and immunocompromised.".

To put into context there are nearly 61 million people in the UK. Pregnant women are marginally more at risk because of the lowered immune system and on top of that the infection can cause problems with the baby. However, that 16% of 136 is only around 20 pregnant women per year. The risk is really very very small. We just have to balance up how risky we think that is in the context of our individual pregnancies.

If the above was true there would be WAY more cases of listeria!! Not just in pregnant women but children and adults too!!

I posted this in another thread when someone was worried they had Listeria. I looked up some stats: https://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/acm667.pdf

The key point was "Between 1990 and 2000 there were between 114 and 136
laboratory confirmed cases in the UK per year." and "Around 16% of cases in
England and Wales between 1990 and 2003 were pregnancy-associated, the
remainder being associated with other vulnerable groups particularly the elderly
and immunocompromised.".

To put into context there are nearly 61 million people in the UK. Pregnant women are marginally more at risk because of the lowered immune system and on top of that the infection can cause problems with the baby. However, that 16% of 136 is only around 20 pregnant women per year. The risk is really very very small. We just have to balance up how risky we think that is in the context of our individual pregnancies.

Exactly.

I dunno if im right in saying this or if it only applies to pregnant women but have you ever heard of anyone being ill from eating icecream i know i certainly havent. But ive not over done it this time just incase and im being nieve and it really is really dangerous.

Supposedly. We're more likely get catch things when pregnant.

I dunno if im right in saying this or if it only applies to pregnant women but have you ever heard of anyone being ill from eating icecream i know i certainly havent. But ive not over done it this time just incase and im being nieve and it really is really dangerous.

I havent either!! I dont overdo it but if I want it.... I eat it :):)

If you read some sites they say to avoid cold deli meats.... packed salads.... pastries.... lots of stuff!! We wouldnt eat anything if we followed every rule!!

They tell us we arent allowed to eat loads of things. My nan thinks its silly she said "ooo back in my day we didnt get told any of that and i had 6 healthy kids" I do see her point but as you get told it all the time it does put you off. I think everything in moderation is fine. Ive eaten 1 or 2 runny eggs but only because when ive been out and asked for it turned over they havent.

Well i was in maccy ds yesterday and noticed they had a wispa mcfurry i couldnt say no so i had it lol. Does that mean i have to go in the naughty corner too?? lol

I havent either!! I dont overdo it but if I want it.... I eat it :):)

If you read some sites they say to avoid cold deli meats.... packed salads.... pastries.... lots of stuff!! We wouldnt eat anything if we followed every rule!!

They tell us we arent allowed to eat loads of things. My nan thinks its silly she said "ooo back in my day we didnt get told any of that and i had 6 healthy kids" I do see her point but as you get told it all the time it does put you off. I think everything in moderation is fine. Ive eaten 1 or 2 runny eggs but only because when ive been out and asked for it turned over they havent.

Well i was in maccy ds yesterday and noticed they had a wispa mcfurry i couldnt say no so i had it lol. Does that mean i have to go in the naughty corner too?? lol

Yep, get your butt to the corner!!!

Cos we have lower immune systems!! But so do children and the elderly!!

The drugs I'm on for my eye condition destroy my immune system, I have to be in hospital for 3 days at a time when I have it and sent home with Anti-biotics. And I've never got anything from eating ice cream whilst pregnant or on that medication!!!

So I eat what I like and enjoy it.

indeed emma.... join us in the corner!!!!! :rofl:

I admit I was a little better in my first tri!!! I remember I went to toby carvery and had this dessert that was soft whipped icecream I felt sooooooooo bad!! I even felt bad for having tuna!!

Now... I dont punish myself!! If I want it I eat it :) Obviously within reason!! No rare steaks with runny eggs and liver topped with homemade mayo!!

Hmmm this seems like a very heated debate, So we are given a list of things in which we shoud/should not eat during our pregnancy's now as we all know there are high risk takers and worriers out there in the world pregnant or not pregnant if there wasnt then the world wouldnt go round, surely once we all have the advise on what we can/cant eat then it is up to us to take the rules as we wish to take them and then each decide as individuals which we we are going to follow or not, This is only the beggining once the babies are born there will be more sets of rules on what we should/shouldnt do and again it will be down to the individual to decide which rules they are/are not going to stick to I garantee you there are people out there that follow every rule by the book and there are others that simply have the attitude that rules are made to be broken, there is no wrong or right it is all down to our decisions and everyone has a right to their own decision/opinion without being scrutified for it, the world surely would be a borring place if we all did as one another did like a herd of sheep! I'd just like to wish all you ladies ice cream eaters and non ice creams eaters a happy and healthy pregnancy and a beautiful bouncy baby at the end of it....

The thing is that the 'everything in moderation' idea doesn't really work where bacterial infections are concerned. Every item you have of risky food carries the same risk. Though you could argue that if all you eat are McFlurry's then overall you have a greater chance of getting an infection, you could still have one and catch something too. But the risk of the more serious things is just so stupendously low (and who has even heard of anyone catching listeria poisoning?) that you may not feel it's worth the sacrifice. Those maximum 136 people out of nearly 61 million people in a whole year is a proportion so small I can't even work it out! (I promise I'm not trying to upset people with the next thing) Our risk of losing our babies under normal pregnancy conditions is much higher than that.

I'm not suggesting that you all go out and eat as many runny egg yolks as you can - I've not eaten any of these things either - just that it would be much more helpful if we were given sensible stats instead of blanket bans so that we can judge for ourselves what we want to do having the right information to base our plans on. You don't need to be a mathematician to read these numbers for Listeriosis and see it's a minute chance. You're way more likely to be in a car accident, and thinking about it, there are 2 people on BnB in the past week or so who have car accidents and one who has had a riding accident, out of how many of us who post? We're not told not to ever leave the house!

Leeds - I am Mrs Science, what can I say!

No I asked my Dr about that! He said that soft serve ice cream like the ones from Mr whippy and McDonalds etc...are not stored at the correct temp...because they have to stay soft serve. And at that temp listeria can be harboured and cause major birth defects....
We are alowed to have ice cream you get in the suppermarket (you know a 2ltr etc) or ice creams like Magnums (if you get those over there) or any in a packet...coz of the way its stored!
Bum I like soft serve! :hissy: But I would prefer to wait! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

This is right!!

Actually McDonalds is just stored in the machine as a milky mixture at a cold temp (fridge temp)....it only freezes as it passes through the pipes....so your Dr is wrong. He may well be correct about Mr Whippy but I don't know:blush:

Deffo. I've also ate mayonaise and coldslaw. Only thing I've stayed away from is runny egg yokes.

Mayo and coleslaw is fine as long as its not homemade!!

Ive had the odd runny egg too :):)

I have to say I have runny eggs:blush: but the chickens which produce Lion stamped eggs are immunised against Salmonella anyway so I reckon they're ok:happydance:

Actually McDonalds is just stored in the machine as a milky mixture at a cold temp (fridge temp)....it only freezes as it passes through the pipes....so your Dr is wrong. He may well be correct about Mr Whippy but I don't know:blush:

A quick google:
Soft serve ice cream (e.g. ‘Mr Whippy’ ) is served directly from the freezer unit at a temperature of about –6oC. Serving ice cream at a temperature of above –2.2oC is illegal [Ice Cream (Heat Treatment etc.) Regulations 1959.]
A bacteria known as Listeria monocytogenes is capable of growing as low as –1oC and the vendor should regularly monitor the temperature at which the ice cream is served.

So Listeria can grow in the McD ice cream before it gets served.

I think you misunderstand....it isn't ice cream while it's being held as a milk mixture...it is only dispensed as ice cream. So it isn't stored as ice cream....does that make sense? It's like saying your milk will grow listeria while being kept in the fridge under the correct conditions.....it's just a milk and sugar mixture till it freezes on its way out through the pipes.

The temp is checked at the beginning of each shift change, at least twice a day and every single night the whole thing is disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, rinsed and sanitised including all the little tiny rubber washers etc.

The McDonalds I worked at was very, very strict with hygiene etc but I admit that not all McDonalds are quite as strict I'm afraid:cry:

I think you misunderstand....it isn't ice cream while it's being held as a milk mixture...it is only dispensed as ice cream. So it isn't stored as ice cream....does that make sense? It's like saying your milk will grow listeria while being kept in the fridge under the correct conditions.....it's just a milk and sugar mixture till it freezes on its way out through the pipes.

The temp is checked at the beginning of each shift change, at least twice a day and every single night the whole thing is disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, rinsed and sanitised including all the little tiny rubber washers etc.

The McDonalds I worked at was very, very strict with hygiene etc but I admit that not all McDonalds are quite as strict I'm afraid:cry:

Milk will grow listeria in the fridge if it is contaminated. The freezing doesn't kill the bacteria either though it will stop it from growing. If the mixture is contaminated when it arrives it will stay that way.

For normal ice cream I think the milk will be pasteurised then frozen straight away so the bacteria will be killed from the pasteurisation then even if it could get contaminated it is kept frozen where the bacteria can't multiply so there won't be enough of them to cause listeriosis. Whereas in this case, if there is contamination after the manufacturing process growth can still take place at refrigeration temperatures so it doesn't matter that all the equipment is kept clean (though of course it does for other things! lol) as the bacteria will already be there.

The thing is that the 'everything in moderation' idea doesn't really work where bacterial infections are concerned. Every item you have of risky food carries the same risk. Though you could argue that if all you eat are McFlurry's then overall you have a greater chance of getting an infection, you could still have one and catch something too. But the risk of the more serious things is just so stupendously low (and who has even heard of anyone catching listeria poisoning?) that you may not feel it's worth the sacrifice. Those maximum 136 people out of nearly 61 million people in a whole year is a proportion so small I can't even work it out! (I promise I'm not trying to upset people with the next thing) Our risk of losing our babies under normal pregnancy conditions is much higher than that.

I'm not suggesting that you all go out and eat as many runny egg yolks as you can - I've not eaten any of these things either - just that it would be much more helpful if we were given sensible stats instead of blanket bans so that we can judge for ourselves what we want to do having the right information to base our plans on. You don't need to be a mathematician to read these numbers for Listeriosis and see it's a minute chance. You're way more likely to be in a car accident, and thinking about it, there are 2 people on BnB in the past week or so who have car accidents and one who has had a riding accident, out of how many of us who post? We're not told not to ever leave the house!

Leeds - I am Mrs Science, what can I say!

everything here I agree with :)

and you are indeed MRS SCIENCE :):)

Just avoid dodgy icecream vans incase they don't clean their equipment properly. Places like McDonalds are trustworthy enough IMO.

I had a McDonalds milkshake yesterday lunch and by 4pm , i was on the toilett with the runs all evening and still not 100% today !! Its the only think i can think of that may have caused it so ill be avoiding now !!!!

I had a McDonalds milkshake yesterday lunch and by 4pm , i was on the toilett with the runs all evening and still not 100% today !! Its the only think i can think of that may have caused it so ill be avoiding now !!!!

So its the only thing that you had to eat or drink yesterday??

All through my pregnancy Ive one min been like constipated and next min so keen to get to the toilet I run!!!

Doc said its so normal!! may not be anything you have eaten or drunk!! Just another pregnancy thing!! :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->