Soldering plumber

lovenoel

Reaction score
Today we had a plumber come and install our new water heater. It's down in the basement, and the bulkhead door was open - since my husband was at work, I had to be down there with him. I didn't realize until he had already started (I was sitting on the stairs) that he was soldering pipes. I watched him for a few minutes and then went upstairs, but had to keep going down to check on him.

Of course now I'm paranoid that I've poisoned myself and will miscarry. I can still smell the fumes a bit, even above the basement on the first floor, so I opened some windows even though it's 30 degrees outside.

I feel so dumb that I was down there at all while he was doing that, but there were also two men downstairs removing the old water heater and they kept asking me questions - so I kept going up and downstairs. I hope I didn't inhale too much of the fumes...I didn't wear a mask or anything, I just stared dumbly as he soldered. It didn't occur to me until after he was done that that was probably not good for me or the little guy.

Any words of wisdom? What's done is done, I just can't believe I was so stupid!

I'm sure it'll be fine it was only for a short time and he is exposed to it every day.

I have to ask though why did you have to be down there? I'd find it freaky someone watching me work lol

If you're concerned mention it to your midwife

I actually...don't even know why I was down there. It felt weird to have 3 strangers downstairs with all of our stuff and I didn't know he was going to solder at all until I saw him doing it! When I saw him doing it I just sort of stared dumbly for a bit before I went upstairs. So stupid of me! He wasn't wearing a mask or anything.

I did go upstairs once I realized it and then tried to only come down when they needed to ask me a question, but I still was up and down way more than I'd like. It didn't really occur to me that it would be that dangerous (dumb) and now all I can think is that I've done some irreversible damage.

The plumber did tell me that it was copper solder and not lead (I'm not even sure if lead is still legal to use?) and the bulkhead door was open so there was air coming into the area, but I'm still super paranoid about everything. I don't see the doctor for 3 more weeks but maybe I'll call tomorrow just to see what he says.

Thank you so much for the reply!

I understand the fear of miscarrying and being paranoid that any wrong move will cause this but women have had children in the worst of conditions. Try not to worry because that is probably far more of a threat to a pregnancy

Thank you for replying. I know i'm being crazy, but it's so hard not to worry over every little thing. :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->