solids

kayjor04

Reaction score
I'm having one of those days where i have a question about everything.

So I started jordyn on cereal with she was just shy of 5 months old (she was very very ready for it... i checked with Doc.) and now she'll be 6months on the 4th of jan...
Shes eating oat cereal, peas, carrots, butternut squash, and sweet potato... this morning she tried some banana and loved it.
anyways.. we dont really have a set solid food feeding schedule i guess you could call it..
Im confused one how much, and how many at once i should be giving her... right now the day goes like so:

wakeup 830am - 8oz bottle (this morning she had about a tablespoon of banana first)

playtime/nap

lunch 12:30pm - 2tablespoons of oat cereal mixed with a tablespoon of veg

playtime/nap

Supper 4:30pm - 8oz bottle

playtime/mommytime/book/quick nap/bath

Bedtime 8:30pm - 8oz bottle

SO what should be be doing with solids? im really confused? how did you all get your babes on solid food schedules... cause we've doing about the same thing everyday for a month hahaa.. i'm starting to think i shoul dbe doing more then one veg... maybe adding meat? SO CONFUSED!!!!!

Hi Ya. I am also confused about this. I have not started him on anything yet but I was confused about schedules etc so I will keep an eye on this post!! xx

Mine goes like this

8.30am Porridge then Breast Feed
10.30am Breast Feed
12pm Rusk & Fruit
1pm Bottle
5.30pm Dinner
7.30pm Bottle
Breast fed through the night.

I think most mums on here do the food an hour or two after the feed nearest to when they wish to set breakfast, lunch and dinner x

Our day is somewhat scheduled so:

7:30 wakeup/bottle (5 oz)
8:30 food however much she'll take really
9 nap
11:30- 5 oz bottle
12:30- food again however much she'll take
1:30 nap
4:30 5 oz bottle
5:30 dinner however much she'll take
6:30 4 oz bottle
7:30 bed

She is still getting used to food, but she's eaten pears/apples/bananas/green beans/squash/carrots/rice and oat cereal/rusks

I'll introduce meats in another couple of weeks, but she's not really ready for it I don't think.

Have you tried a website for feeding babies? Try googling them. There's lots out there that give you an idea on what they should be eating and when to introduce it.

Mine goes like this

10.30am Breast Feed
12pm Rusk & Fruit
1pm Bottle
5.30pm Dinner
7.30pm Bottle

I think most mums on here do the food an hour or two after the feed nearest to when they wish to set breakfast, lunch and dinner x

whats rusk?
and what do you do for dinner?
Its just confusing because she only eats 4 times a day.... and i see alot of other babes who will eat like 6-7 times a day she takes alot more per sit then most babes... and if she has solids she wants her bottle right afer :S

Mine goes like this

10.30am Breast Feed
12pm Rusk & Fruit
1pm Bottle
5.30pm Dinner
7.30pm Bottle

whats rusk?
and what do you do for dinner?
Its just confusing because she only eats 4 times a day.... and i see alot of other babes who will eat like 6-7 times a day she takes alot more per sit then most babes... and if she has solids she wants her bottle right afer :S
rusk is like a mum mum-rice cracker type thing

I have no idea what to say for the "how much" question, since I am still struggling with how much, but you should start adding meats now, she may not take to them right away though because of the bland taste, but she will come around. My suggestion is chicken or turkey. If she doesn't take to that you could mix her pureed veggies with pureed meat so it tastes better, and she will still get her protein.

I think every mum feeds totally different. Maya eats a hell of alot & she's only 4 months old :blush:

10:00am - 8 tsps breakfast & then a bottle. Her bottle is an 8oz but she tends to take 3-4oz at breakfast

2:00pm - 7 tsps lunch & then bottle. Once again she takes what she feells

6:00pm - 6 tsps dinner & then bottle. Same as before with the bottle

8:00pm - Half a dessert

10:00pm - 8oz bottle then sleeps through

Don't worry about starting solids early. My pedi had me giving Charlotte her first taste of vegies at 5 WEEKS old and mixing rice cereal with every bottle at that age. At 4 months old he had her on solids every day for lunch. She only gets them once a day at lunch time, but she's eating half to a full jar of stage 2 foods (pedi had us switch to stage 2 at 6 months) every meal time. She always gets lunch between 11 and 1230.

It sounds like she is doing great! My son is now older but we didn't start solids until 6mo and he refused them really until 9mo so he was quite a bit older and we had a horrible time with them. But I don't remember exactly how I fed my older 2 at what age. I do know that our pedi recommended 1 solid meal until about 7mo then to add in another between 7-8mo then by 10-12mo have them eating 3 solid meals and a snack or 2, just slowly add it in as you feel she is ready. It shouldn't replace any breastmilk or formula until she's closer to 1 then she'll naturally cut down on those and pick up more solid feedings

Ok so shes too young to cut down on bottles right?

so if i get up, and give her just the bottle then some veg and cereal for lunch followed by her bottled... then give her more veg and cereal for supper followed by a bottle then last bottle at bedtime bottle only?

Do we all think its ok for me to start her on meats?
I'm trying to keep her away from too many sweet things... how i everyone introducing foods? green, orange, the sweets? so much to know :sad2:

Ok so shes too young to cut down on bottles right?

so if i get up, and give her just the bottle then some veg and cereal for lunch followed by her bottled... then give her more veg and cereal for supper followed by a bottle then last bottle at bedtime bottle only?

Do we all think its ok for me to start her on meats?
I'm trying to keep her away from too many sweet things... how i everyone introducing foods? green, orange, the sweets? so much to know :sad2:

According to my doctor, meats are very important because they need the iron and protein. I never give Alexa sweets because of her weight, though wouldn't even if she was a normal size. I didn't introduce foods by color I just introduced them randomly. Sorry I am not much help, but definitely get her her meats. :hugs:

We were told orange veggies first because they are sweet, formula and breastmilk are slightly sweet, fruits would be over powering sweet to start out with but greens would be a bit bitter. So we did orange ones, then green then fruits. I would wait on meats for a few more months, we always started around 9-10mo. I think it's actually ok at 7-8mo though. I def wouldn't cut back any bottles, I would keep her normal bottles at whatever time she takes them now then in between those feedings add the solids. Or giving it to her at lunch time then giving her bottle after, as long as she doesn't cut back too much on the amount since she had food before you know? Like if she normally has 6-8oz at those bottles but after eating food only wants 2oz I wouldnt' do it like that, I would do bottle then solids so she is getting the nutrients. The most important thing inthe first year is breastmilk or formula, the solid food really is just to introduce her to new tastes, to teach her to eat off a spoon, it shouldn't be her main source of nutrition until closer to 1

When can my baby eat meat?
Traditionally, medical professionals have recommended introducing meat to baby from around 7 months of age. Chicken/turkey is usually introduced first and red meats next.
However, recent research has suggested that meat should be introduced as one of the first - or even THE first - complementary foods for babies, generally from 6 months of age. This is true for breastfed babies in particular.

The iron from breast milk is very bioavailable (meaning it is well absorbed by babies - see this page for more information). However, when exclusively breastfed babies are introduced to solid foods, they begin to absorb less iron from their milk. This is because the iron in breast milk becomes 'bound' by the solid food they are consuming (commonly infant rice cereal).

Thus, it becomes important to ensure that the solid food given to a previously exclusively breastfed infant is high in iron. And one of the best sources of iron is, of course, meat (beef and lamb in particular).

Furthermore, new studies have found that the more finely ground the meat, the more easily the body can absorb this iron (more about that in our 'How to Puree Meats' section below).

Please note: Meat is a high protein food - and very large amounts of protein may put a lot of strain on your baby's immature kidneys. Therefore, we recommend offering regular, small quantities of meat mixed into another food (pureed vegetables, for example).
- https://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/introduce-meat-to-baby.html

she certainly hasnt cut down on her bottles. haha she'll eat 2 tablespoons of cereal mixed with 1-2 tablespoons of veg, and still drink 7oz!

what about rusks? safe to give her now?

if I'm thinking the same thing are they the mum mum cookies? made from rice? Kind of like a teething biscuit? If so and she tries tochew she would probably be fine, I would just watch her really close, she'll let you know if she isn't ready

she certainly hasnt cut down on her bottles. haha she'll eat 2 tablespoons of cereal mixed with 1-2 tablespoons of veg, and still drink 7oz!

what about rusks? safe to give her now?

yep, they are safe now-I do believe it says right on the box that baby can have them as soon as they start on solids! And they dissolve too... they are like a rice cracker...

cool! thanks ladies!!! all of you were really helpful!!!! Jordyn just got her highchair haha. she was eating in her bumbo with the play tray.. but her legs are starting to get chunky so they're harder to get in. now she looks SOOO teeensy in her high chair! they take up alot of space!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->