• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Some people drive me crazy about the whole "going overdue" thing =/

There was a comment i left on here that talked about the sufficient and why it some cases, going overdue could be based on genetics, however, this is not a 100% thing. I def. think other things come into play besides a mother-daughter cycle and when babies arrive, like stress, or medical issues, or irregular positioning of the baby, or just a crapp EDD (remember, all that is is an estimate! even if you do have a growth scan). :thumbup:
other than that, i think its a plethora of reasons, but could be the case some of the time.

Oh yes, here we are. Now this certainly does not apply to everyone and i firmly believe there are other factors that come into play, but this could be one reason why some families have women that do go way "overdue"

interesting! a lot of women in my family go "overdue" (like 10+ days)as well. I went 41+5 with my son, so i expect to go over this time too. I read a very interesting article a couple of weeks back. The sufficant that forms for the lungs to transfer from "water" to "air", which is present at about 32 weeks on, is the thing that around 40ish weeks triggers a women to go into labor. Well, this article mentioned that studies are showing some women, especially in the same family, do not have their babies produce sufficant until closer to 34 weeks, hence why it could be genetic for women in one family to go "overdue". it was a great article! wish i could find it again!

And i also think youre on to something about the ovulation! i dont ov. until CD 22...my current EDD is based on ovulation (02.23.2012) but if they based it on LMP it would have been 02.16.2012 which is over a week!

In short... Some people are complete idiots.

I will NOT be induced. I have made that so clear. I hate pointless induction, I hate pushy fear mongering doctors, and I hate the people who just eat it all up!!!!

Hmmm, I may be a tad moody...

Also most people dont know that a lot of the data that is used to push inductions because of placenta deterioration etc is very old and outdated in light of modern monitoring techniques.

I've also said that I refuse to be induced. My midwife said that they typically do induction at 41+5, but I've made a request that if I go to that point and over, I wish to be monitored but allowed to continue. If it is medically necessary fine, if bubs is in trouble, but if he's happy he's staying put till he's ready. This is my first baby so obviously I've had no previous experience of the whole thing, but everything I've read and researched tells me that induction is generally more painful and if bubs isn't ready, we're pulling him out before he wants to be out. That matters to me more than anything.

Pielette, thats my stance too.
They talked about induction like when i was one day over due. They wanted to do it 3 days "overdue" (they are very adament in the US and i HATE that). Then i refused. When i got to 41 weeks, i requested non-fetal stress test and ultrasound (for checking placenta and stuff like that, NOT weight). that was more to make the doc okay with my not getting induced, but TBH i knew it wasn't really necessary until 42 weeks... Then they were even WORSE and MORE adament about inducting at 10 days "overdue" I declined, and opted for more test. If my child is fine, i would NEVER put him or myself through that long process! :nope: If there was a medical issue, that would be a lot different, but there wasn't....I went into labor, on my own (my water broke) at 3:30AM @ 41+4. He was born at 9:17 am @ 41+5 and healthy as can be..

....you wouldn't believe the amount of women (here in the States) that are shocked "they let me go so long" :wacko: like seriously, just because your are pregnant doesn't mean you dont have rights! Most ladies are convinced you HAVE to do what the doctor says:dohh: totally not the case...although some docs are pretty good at making that seem the case! I am thankful to know ive got federal rights behind me like any other human being does!

I personally find it crazy that women would rather be induced with pitocin than 'suffer' 40-42 weeks of pregnancy like hip pain or penguin waddle. I'm not so sure those same women would choose to do so the next time around, I know by the end of day 2 of pitocin I was actually suicidal.

^I've wondered that myself :shrug: and plus, if women wernt "taught" that the EDD is THE day, and maybe told when their "birth month" was, they wouldn't think it hurt so bad...dont get me wrong, i know every pregnancy is different and its different for all women...but i was pregnant during the hottest month of the year...and thats when i was overdue....i dont think it was any different than when i was say 34 weeks pregnant :dohh:

I had an ultrasound at 5+6 because of bleeding and my mom thought it was hilarious they could tell the 'exact' date from the length of fetal pole. I remember asking her if I was early or late and she said, "I dunno, none of us knew back then, we just bought yellow clothes/blankets and sat around waiting!!!". Go figure, and I was only born in 1984...

Being 40-42 weeks was completely normal then but you didn't even know!

Amen!
Modern technology def. has their time and place, thank God BUT it seems they cause more harm than good...

It just makes me really sad when people think that they have to do exactly what the doctor says! They don't! Of course we will always put the health of our babies first, but some of these doctors and midwives just want us to induce to cover their own backs and make it more convenient for them. No way in hell!
I'm already stupidly uncomfortable and I can't wait for my little boy to be here BUT I will put up with being pregnant as long as necessary!

Way to be hun!
Seriously! that is admirable, especially in this day and age!

yeah, it drives me nuts that a lot of care providers pull the "your baby is endangered card" when really thats not usually the case...:wacko:

This baby is 'due' dec 23rd so loads of people have commented about she could be born Christmas day then....and I've replied or any other day that month lol! I now just say baby 'due' December as can't be having same conversation do many times when I really don't mind when baby arrives as long as she's healthy lol!

yeah, we are doing something similar this go around. Last time i went nearly 2 weeks overdue...i had no trouble with it but everyone asking "how long are they going to let you go?" :wacko: really upset me, especially since i wanted to go on medicated. This time, however, only my mom, dh and his parents know the "actual" EDD. It's Feb 23rd, but we are telling everyone else a baby will be here by midmarch, that way i dont have to deal with it! its funny though, bc ppl think im so far along, or the opposite, and seeing them be driven crazy about not knowing is quite commical lol

candyfloss- how in the world are you to 26 weeks and havn't told your FB friends?!?!?! hahaha you're strong! lol

Jumping in from 3rd tri, hope you ladies don't mind. :flower: I usually try to stay out of this section, as I'm considered high risk (pre-pregnancy hypertension) and am not allowed to go after anything that even looks like a natural birth because of it. :cry: If I had my way, I'd do things at home, maybe even unassisted, but ah well. As it stands, I'll do things as naturally as possible, even if I have to be induced again.
Guppy, I was just wondering where in NH you are. I was at Dartmouth-Hitchcock in Concord with DD, and they let me go right up to 42 weeks with her, even being high risk. I know they are by far the minority here in the good ole induction happy US of A, but though I'd share that positive tidbit. :thumbup:

And, just to answer someone else's question about why some people seem to think they HAVE to do everything a doctors says:

I wanted to refuse internal exams/the initial routine pap this pregnancy, but when I asked, they said it was procedure. I pushed the issue, and they said that if I didn't have it done, they wouldn't treat me. So, what am I to do? :shrug: It's policy everywhere around here - in fact, it's even illegal in this state for me to have a midwife deliver me, and all of the birthing centers have policies against accepting women with high blood pressure. So don't take offense to ladies who don't do things your way - some of us would give our right arms to be able to have the options you guys do. :flower:

Pielette, thats my stance too.
They talked about induction like when i was one day over due. They wanted to do it 3 days "overdue" (they are very adament in the US and i HATE that). Then i refused. When i got to 41 weeks, i requested non-fetal stress test and ultrasound (for checking placenta and stuff like that, NOT weight). that was more to make the doc okay with my not getting induced, but TBH i knew it wasn't really necessary until 42 weeks... Then they were even WORSE and MORE adament about inducting at 10 days "overdue" I declined, and opted for more test. If my child is fine, i would NEVER put him or myself through that long process! :nope: If there was a medical issue, that would be a lot different, but there wasn't....I went into labor, on my own (my water broke) at 3:30AM @ 41+4. He was born at 9:17 am @ 41+5 and healthy as can be..

....you wouldn't believe the amount of women (here in the States) that are shocked "they let me go so long" :wacko: like seriously, just because your are pregnant doesn't mean you dont have rights! Most ladies are convinced you HAVE to do what the doctor says:dohh: totally not the case...although some docs are pretty good at making that seem the case! I am thankful to know ive got federal rights behind me like any other human being does!

I had an ultrasound at 5+6 because of bleeding and my mom thought it was hilarious they could tell the 'exact' date from the length of fetal pole. I remember asking her if I was early or late and she said, "I dunno, none of us knew back then, we just bought yellow clothes/blankets and sat around waiting!!!". Go figure, and I was only born in 1984...

Being 40-42 weeks was completely normal then but you didn't even know!

They had scans over here by 87 but they were crap. My mum had been ttc for a year for me so was very sure of edd. I was 5 days over though.

I feel sorry for the us ladies because you do seem to have the.choice taken away :(

I second that, it really saddens me how pushy it can be in the US. I think it probably stems from fear, fear that if something went wrong, they would be liable. I don't know if anyone else on here watches One Born Every Minute? I watched a couple of episodes of the US version and had to stop watching, because I was horrified at how pushy some of the medical staff were when it came to pain relief, labour positions etc.
Obviously I don't know how different it can be from state to state, but that upsets me. We should all be allowed to follow our own instincts in labour.

I second that, it really saddens me how pushy it can be in the US. I think it probably stems from fear, fear that if something went wrong, they would be liable. I don't know if anyone else on here watches One Born Every Minute? I watched a couple of episodes of the US version and had to stop watching, because I was horrified at how pushy some of the medical staff were when it came to pain relief, labour positions etc.
Obviously I don't know how different it can be from state to state, but that upsets me. We should all be allowed to follow our own instincts in labour.

Here in North America (and in Canada it's not as bad due to our health care system), most women have zero concept of labour without pain relief - the idea of not using an epidural is somewhat non-existent for most (because G&A,tens, are not available in the US). OBEM (which is typical midwest USA) is very realistic to what it's like in hospital birthing (which is the standard). The midwifery profession had been illegal for some time and home birth is still illegal in a few US states. That's just the cultural part of it - most girls don't intend to deliver in this manner, they simply don't know of any other option.

Now, the health care system itself is another story and big contribution - the issue of medical malpractice in the US is massive, which is why intervention rates are massive, epidurals/inductions are huge, obgyn's are petrified of letting anything out of their control for fear of medical lawsuit. In the UK, you girls have midwives unless there's a complication - in the US and in Canada, women (midwives are now becoming available but not common) get an OBGYN and that's it - uncomplicated or not.

In North America, pregnancy is treated as an illness and "if something goes wrong" is the standard approach :dohh:

But then again I am biased, I firmly believe overmedicalization of my labour led to my son's birth injury. Hell, good thing I am in Canada because the obgyn actually admitted it too (in the US, a doctor would never admit this for fear of lawsuit I don't think).

eurgh I watched an episode of OBEM and a young girl had 2 nurses push on either of her legs whilst a doctor hauled the baby out of her. She was epi'd up so probably couldnt feel herself push and probably the baby got stuck. However, it was horrendous to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->