Son not settling into school

Tudor Rose

Mummy
Reaction score
my 4yr old son started school 3 weeks ago and is still not settled, he is still on half days and goes fulltime next week, this morning the teacher had to carry him in crying mummy dont leave me, it rips through my heart, he went nursery for 18months and was fine, he loved it an education plan is being put in place to help him settle but i dont know what to do, im not going to bribe him with sweets or toys as he will expect it all the time, in his class there are several kids who went his nursery so its not like he doesnt recognise anyone. he is one of the oyoungest in his class, his sister is in the year above and loves school never had a problem with her,

if anyone has any advice please

That is so sad for him. My son did go half days for a whole year, but not because he was not settling, just he was too small.
From the sound of it he has trouble with changes. If he did go to nursery and has children from there in his class now, it might be that. In that case it will get better. Three weeks is long though. Didn't the teacher tell you anything about what he has most troubles with? Or does he not want to join in anything? Perhaps it would help if you stay in the classroom and do something with him and another child? Or wouldn't that be allowed?
I can imagine your heart breaks when he has to be carried in like that. I have to take our holiday foster children to the bus like that and it is the most awful feeling.
Have you tried to tell him to wave in the classroom window or something? Or is he just not to reason with when it comes to school?
It must be really hard for you. Keep trying and keep being cheerful about school. Good luck. I hope something will change for him soon.

xxx

It took a month for my son to settle into preschool and he was initially in for 3 days a week for a few hours. Because he wasn't settling and wouldn't reason with me the days he had to go, I put him in for 5 days per week for a few hours and it made a huge difference.

I know it's tough to see your child unsettled, but you have to use tough love sometimes. How is he after you have left? Does he just cry for you for that moment when you are leaving and then is fine once you are gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->