Soo Confused

bubbles

1DS, 1DD & preggo
Reaction score
I am determined to use re-usable nappies, although for the first few weeks will be using biodegradable disposables due to ease and first poo cosistency.

When I first thought about the re-usable nappies all I could think of was terry toweling and folding but the more I look at them the more different types pop up and although I know it sounds really stupid, I have looked at the different ones (wraps, prefold...) and just get more and more confused. I get the concept of folding the flat nappies and common sense tells me they whole thing changes every time it is soiled but what about the wraps? No where tells you if the actual wrap gets changed or just the liner? How many do I need? I don't feel like I can just go into a shop and start rooting in the different packets to have a look at the actual product and saying that not alot of shops actually have them in stock.

Any help very much appreciated, sorry if it's just a common sense thing seem to be lacking that a bit lately

Don't worry it's like all these things, until you get going with them it doesn't make any sense at all! :lol:

There are 3 main bits (from the outside inwards):

1. The wrap... this is the equivalent of the plastic pants. You don't need to wash these each time. We tend to rotate wraps round giving them time to dry off and washing them if they've done a poo or a lot of wee. You could wash them every time but you'd need the same number of these as nappies you buy.

2. The nappy... the fabric bit. You change this every time you change the baby. As your baby gets older you stick a booster (another strip of nappy fabric) inside to increase the absorbancy.

3. The liner... a thin bit of fabric or sorta like strong tissue paper that catches the poo. You change these every time. We use disposable liners and stick them into nappy sacks with the dirty wipes and bin them. You can buy washable liners too which is more eco-friendly.

You'll probably be doing around 7 changes a day at least at first. So there is this thinking that you need around 21. 7 for that day, 7 in the wash and 7 drying. Wraps? I'd probably get half a dozen. Liners we get from Boots in packs of 50 I think. If you were going the washable liner route you'd need the same number as nappies ie 21.

We were really lucky, we bought our nappies from someone who runs an internet company fairly locally and she came out with all the different types for us to see and feel and talk through before we bought.

Have you been in touch with your council about a grant?

Hope that helps.

Helen

xx

thanks hun. I don't know if the coucil do the grants have tried to have a look but the web site is crap although a colleague has suggested I check the hospital notice board to see which department it would be within the coucil

Carries recommended the nappy lady (just google it) as you get a recommendation based on your needs and they don't expect you to buy from their site, but will give you some discount if you do. It was helpful because there so many types and so many things to consider! We've not made a decision yet as we've not had time to sit down and discuss it, but it's something we need to consider soon. Let me know how you get on and what you decide on!

It will probably be your recycling or waste dept at the council hun. Email them and they should get back to you with details of who it is if its not them. Mone dont give you any money at all tight *******s! :)

As PB said nappylady is good or try

https://www.babykind.co.uk/nappytrial.htm

they do trial packs so you can test each one and then decide what you want to buy.

After much confusion we have decided to use bio degradable for the first couple of weeks and then get some trial packs to see which ones work best. I know tots bots come highly recommended but they are a little more pricy at 8.00 for the nappy and then about 8.00 for the wrap (as Helen said though you need less wraps than nappies). Ooo try ebay too for bargins :)

I tried a few different types with my 1st two but didn't get on with any of them and got fed up with leaks however my friends have said that even in the past few years they are much better than they were 4 and 5 years ago:happydance:. I will be contacting my local nappy lady as she will show me the different types and give me her honest opinion (I'd like to think). I spent so much money experimenting on my own buy buying lots of different types, I really can't afford to do this again:hissy:

Also google real nappy reviews to get "real" Mummy's opinions which may help. Remember what is right for 1 baby may not be right for another as they're all different shapes and sizes, chubbier legs, scrawney waists etc....just bear this in mind:hugs:

Good luck babe xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->