Sophie breastfed today for the very first time!

katy1310

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
I am sooo happy tonight! I always spend all day on a Monday with Sophie in neonatal, and today when I went in, she was off CPAP again and the oxygen prongs were out of her nose and hanging round her neck like a stethoscope (she had pulled them out, hehe!) She had pulled her feeding tube out too, so I got to see her wee face for the first time with no tubes at all! Then....the nurse asked if I am planning to breastfeed, and I said yes and she asked if I would like to try today!!!! So Sophie and I did some skin to skin cuddles, and the nurse said she would just leave us to it and see what happened. She put curtains round the cot and just went away and left me with Sophie. She said Sophie would probably just have a lick and play around, but she latched straight on and started sucking! I couldn't believe it!!! The nurse came to see how we were doing and she said Sophie was perfectly positioned, latched on really well and she was pretty sure she was feeding. Sophie stayed latched on for half an hour, didn't suck all the time but had little bursts of sucking then a rest then more sucking. The nurse said to still give her her next tube feed just incase, but she was sick after it so the nurse thought she had definitely had milk from me and was just overfull. She said if she was not sick after her next tube feed, we could safely assume that she had been feeding that time...and she was not sick the next two times so yay!!! I felt like she might be feeding but I've never done it before so I don't really know what it should feel like! But I am so happy that she seemed to manage it, that is a big step :) Anne said I should try skin to skin cuddles every day and see if we can breastfeed once a day for the next few days. I just hope if it's another nurse tomorrow, they leave us to it again because I was so much more relaxed being allowed to just try on our own than if someone was hanging over me, and she did latch on immediately....

Oh massive hugs for you! That is so amazing! :D I bet you are just feeling fantastic about it, well done the both of you :)

If you get another nurse and s/he seems to be hanging around, you could just politely ask for a bit of privacy as you feel easier that way.

xx

that's fabulous! I bet it must feel amazing, congratulations :)

So many congratulations!!

The first time we were left alone was the first time Sofia properly latched on, it is the most amazing feeling! Wow, got a tear thinking back.

Oh massive hugs for you! That is so amazing! :D I bet you are just feeling fantastic about it, well done the both of you :)

If you get another nurse and s/he seems to be hanging around, you could just politely ask for a bit of privacy as you feel easier that way.

xx

Thank you :) I really do feel fantastic about it - I know it will probably not be that easy every time but it was just so great that she did so well on her - and my! - first ever attempt! I'm sure others would respect my privacy if I say I'm more comfortable with some privacy. I guess everyone is different - the woman at the next cot just whips her entire top clothes off every time she has cuddles, and sits there in full view...DH got a right eyeful this afternoon and didn't know where to look!! He was like "I'll just stand here....oops, oh no! I won't!" and swiftly moved!

That's wonderful news! Well done both of you.

I remember Connor's first feed, I was amazed he managed to feed at his size (2lb 11oz) but he took to it like a pro.

Aww that's fabulous news. I'm so so pleased for you both.

xx

Thank you :) I really do feel fantastic about it - I know it will probably not be that easy every time but it was just so great that she did so well on her - and my! - first ever attempt! I'm sure others would respect my privacy if I say I'm more comfortable with some privacy. I guess everyone is different - the woman at the next cot just whips her entire top clothes off every time she has cuddles, and sits there in full view...DH got a right eyeful this afternoon and didn't know where to look!! He was like "I'll just stand here....oops, oh no! I won't!" and swiftly moved!

:rofl: I was sort of inbetween being really private and not minding.

:happydance: :) It actually give you a peice of 'normality' huh? xxxx

It is just amazing isn't it. I remember I was there and my mum was down visiting too and they asked if we would like to try. Abby was a wee bit young- just 31 weeks so we didn't think she'd do much. I was actually glad to have the nurse showing me what to do as I hadn't got a clue! Abby just kitten licked for a bit then latched on, but my supply was a bit too strong for her so she had a bit of a problem when she started sucking.

Isn't it just the best feeling in the world though!

Ahh hun that is brilliant. Makes me feel quite emotional reading it as I remember the first time Poppy latched on and how amazing it felt. I was also worried that she was not getting much actual milk, but the nurses used to test how much was in her tummy using her feeding tube and she was getting plenty :)

Long may it last :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->