Sore, scabby nipples :-(

bambino156

Mummy
Reaction score
The areola on my breasts are fine but the nipples themselves are very sore, they have scabs on each one and are so sore when ds latches on. I'm using Lansinoh and I've literally got them out all day to air, but they don't seem to be improving. Any tips pleas ladies? Thanks xb

when my milk came in, I wasn't wearing any breast pads and I was asleep so my breasts leaked and soaked my bra and top. My nipples healed instantly. Nothing works better than breast milk ;)

These really helped me those first few weeks:

https://www.lansinoh.com/products/soothies-by-lansinoh-gel-pads

But in the end... time is what really helped. BF got so much easier at 4 weeks. Hang in there :hugs:

I used nipple shields whilst mine where healing, it soaks them in breastmilk too so that helps them heal faster.

The areola on my breasts are fine but the nipples themselves are very sore, they have scabs on each one and are so sore when ds latches on. I'm using Lansinoh and I've literally got them out all day to air, but they don't seem to be improving. Any tips pleas ladies? Thanks xb

Ouch :( Can you see a local consultant and check your latch etc? Sounds very painful (I saw mine through a local Sure Start breastfeeding group)

I had something similar going on, and was trying the Lansinoh/breast milk/nipple shield regimen to no avail. It was strange, because of all the lactation consultants and nurses I was seeing over the past few weeks, no one really seemed to think it was strange that my nipples were essentially two open wounds! Super painful, but I had heard it would be, and thought it must be normal.
finally I met with another nurse/lactation consultant who recognized that there was a problem. she prescribed triple nipple cream - it's a compound of anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory. had to take LO off the breast for several days and express milk, supplement him, while they heal. but they are almost healed. that stuff really works.
don't know how bad yours are, but it might be worth it to get checked out. good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->