Sorry... rant about OH's mum

xcmjstaax

Noah's mummy
Reaction score
My OH's mum and I have never got on completely because of the unsual situation that my OH and I have. (basically we were only friends when we conceived and only got together when I found out that I was pregnant). For this reason, she sees me as a burden to him rather than someone he wants to be with, even though my OH and I have been together for over two years now. However, I try my best not to let it get to me because at the end of the day I want her to be a part of our lives.

But today, she decided that she wanted to come around for lunch. I was a little bit annoyed because wednesday is my full day that I get with Noah and also is the day that my OH has the afternoon off so we usually go and do something together and she knows this. But I thought oh what the heck she hasn't seen Noah for a while so I agreed.

Now, she's very particular so I thought I'd make an effort. Noah and I went for a walk down to the shop and picked up some ingredients and then I spent the best part of two hours making chicken wraps, duck wraps and prawn wraps. I was pretty impressed with how everything turned out and was actually a little excited about her coming!

When she turned up, the first thing she did was walk into the flat and say "oh it's not a very healthy envirnoment for a child" I ignored it, but I was annoyed because our flat, although not spotless is tidy. It went downhill from there, she criticised the food, which she said was "cheap, tasteless, and something that she would expect me to eat." At this point, I so nearly flipped and was very glad that my OH came home. He did stick up for me a little, but she's so lovely to him and she adores Noah so it doesn't seem like I have much of a case to him.

It's just the constant digs and it makes me feel like I'm not good enough for her son. I know it sounds trivial but it just really got to me today because I'd gone to quite a bit of trouble to try and entertain her.

*sigh* I'm not sure what I can do and atm I just feel totally fed up.

Sorry for the long ramble, I just needed it off of my chest!

:devil:

I'm sorry your O/H's mom is such a pain :hugs:
You're doing the best you can tolerating it..
I can't believe after you've been together two years she STILL acts this way!
Some people.. :growlmad:

What a cow! She has no right to judge you, you're obviously doing a great job of raising your son (her grandson) when you could be one of those teen mums that just doesn't give a crap and tries to pawn the kid off on her, I think she needs to be a little more grateful!

WOW. She's a royal *****! If she was my MIL, I woulda slapped her and been done with her. But... My OH woulda liked it if I did LOL!

I seriously feel you here... MIL's aren't the greatest!

urgh i would have told her to get her rude arse out of my house, and if OH had anything to say about it i would have sent him with her! simple next time say no ur busy! rude cow!

next time stick a happy meal infront of her and see if thats too her satisfaction! ;)
xx

How Bl**dy RUDE!!! :growlmad:

My own Mother was very like this sadly - she once visited a new neighbour and commented "your house is full of interesting bits, but mine is SO much cleaner" .... and to my niece "oh your haircut looks lovely - you don't look so plain anymore"... she was incapable of saying anything nice without a backhanded criticism in there somewhere.

I know from experience that there is NOTHING you can do to win the approval of people like this - whatever you do won't be good enough. And you know what? Why bother? Some people are basically not very nice and why would you want the approval of someone so fundamentally nasty? You don't want to be like them, you don't admire them, you don't like their values and (in all honesty) you don't really want their negativity around you :hugs: In life we should only care about winning the approval of people we admire :)

It took me until I was 30 for the penny to finally drop and at that point I stopped caring or rising to the bait .... just smile sweetly, ignore whatever is thrown at you and try to always meet on neutral ground wherever possible - lunch out, kids to the park or shopping - anything so long as there are other, normal, people around ... people like this are a little bit more polite in company (not a lot though so don't expect miracles lol)

Good luck Hon - MILs are rarely great and it sounds like you have a real peach there :( :hugs:

Ugh, what a cow!

Not much advice...can only empathise..me and OH have been together nearly 4 years and she's still awful!

Try your best to ignore her...and definitely don't make an effort for her again! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->