Spa Day...

MoominJ

Reaction score
Can I go on a spa day when I'm 4 + 5 pregnant?

My bloody mother always manages to ruin suprises and it looks like she's possibly done it again....

Next weekend she's booked us on a spa day including a back massage, facial and reflexology! Can I do any of them? I think they offer a mum to be massage (not sure of the restrictions) but how do I tell them I'm with child without my mum finding out?

And what excuse can I use to cancel until after Xmas?
Is be 12weeks on Xmas day I think which me n n the OH thought would be perfect to wrap up a scan picture!

In your first trimester you are perfectly fine to have a regular massage.

You can enjoy this weekend without letting the cat out of the bag easily.

Unless they offer cocktails.

That's good to know!

But oh god, id forgotten about the possibility of there being alcohol!
My mum likes her wine! I've been avoiding alcohol for 2 months now while trying, and I already feel like everyone's watching me :wacko:

Did you guys wait until 12 weeks to tell close family?

I wouldn't have a facial as they use essential oils which may be harmful to baby, I wouldn't have reflexology either unless you are in 2nd tri.

I would advise the person doing any treatments that you're pregnant before they start.

You cannot use steam rooms, saunas or hot tubs during pregnancy so avoid those too.

I told my MIL at about 7 weeks, but haven't told my own mother yet. Purely because my mother lives in another state and she's an extreme worrier. I'd rather wait until I'm feeling better physically (currently on leave from work). Just depends on the personality and whether you can trust that person to keep your secret. Told my sister the day I got my positive test, for example.

Alcohol isn't too hard to avoid--I take a sip or two at social occasions and then claim my stomach or head isn't up to more, or just quietly get rid of the rest of the glass.

you will be fine. If you are worried you can always call ahead ask the spa what they use.

I enjoyed many massages and facials throughout my pregnancy. Its up to your risk assessment.

I didn't tell family until 13 weeks as we had a miscarriage in January and didn't want to put the family through a possible second loss.

That's good to know!

But oh god, id forgotten about the possibility of there being alcohol!
My mum likes her wine! I've been avoiding alcohol for 2 months now while trying, and I already feel like everyone's watching me :wacko:

Did you guys wait until 12 weeks to tell close family?

I told my family at 12dpo-ish. I don't see the point in waiting really. You'd tell your mum you'd had a miscarriage cos you'd want her support right? Only reason to not tell people is because its hard to un-tell them, but I think close family are there for you whatever the outcome of the pregnancy.

Ring the Spa and see what they say. It could be a good time to tell her. Tell her on arrival your going for the mum to be package? Enjoy!

I was actually just at the spa last week and mentioned that we were actively TTC. She told me they will NOT do massages in the first trimester because it may not be safe. My spa has special pregnancy massages that they will do in the second and third trimesters. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Better to be safe and ask first.

I am an Esthetician and also massage therapist, also I am 8 weeks pregnant with my first at 39 years old. A light Swedish massage is perfectly fine to have. I have had 2 so far, one when I was 2 weeks preggers ( and technically didn't even know), and another when I was nearly 7 weeks. I told the therapist both times ahead of time. I would avoid reflexology and as for the facials, NO essential oils or salicylic acid. But I'm sure your Gynocologist told you that.

I have been buying non alcoholic beer and occasionally drinking one in front of my mum to keep her off the scent as she knows I love my beer and wine. I put it in a koozie or glass so she doesn't see the label. If I can find non alcoholic wine, I would do that. maybe call the spa ahead of time and explain the situation to see if they can buy non alcoholic beverages and just slip them to you instead without making a big deal. You def need to let the therapists know that you are pregnant though.
Have a wonderful spa day.

I told my mom within minutes of the positive test. We are extremely close and I can't imagine not telling my mom for weeks and weeks.

I'd ring ahead and check. Maybe depends on where you are but all my bumf they gave me at booking in said no massages etc

:)

If you do go, I would definitely tell the spa. I got sent home from bliss spa b/c I thought massages were fine in the first tri and the masseuse and managers said definitely not. I asked my doctor afterwards and he said the same thing...only pre-natal massages by people who are trained to give them and my doc said he'd prefer if I fully abstain in the 1st tri...

Good luck!

Hey hun, I'm a massage therapist and you can get a normal massage (same as your mum) up until it's too uncomfortable for you to lay on your front which is probably a while yet :)

Go and enjoy your spa day hun (I would advise to ring and tell them you're expecting so they don't use any essential oils that are restricted while pg) it'll help a lot with the stresses of being pregnant! You could have a prenatal massage but they're pricey - more expensive than a normal full body massage.
The only things you cannot really do at a spa is jacuzzi, stream room & sauna :)
A facial would be fab for pregnancy skin too & make you feel so relaxed!

Just thought I'd share my two cents as a beauty therapist/massage therapist & also a pregnant woman haha! I still love my massages just have to have them sat on a chair now when it gets to the back part :)

Any questions feel free to ask xx

Thanks for all the advice!
I've spoken to the doctor n he said I was fine, I've also rung the spa and they have changed my booking to the mother to be one that uses all safe oils and positions etc and a manicure!

I think I'm gunna tell my mum though on the day! It would be tricky not to as she's paying for it as a treat etc (i also can't wait to tell her)
I'm thinking a card at breakfast (were having it at the spa) that says your goin to be a grandma... Any other ideas?

Also do u think it's mean if I tell her she can't tell anyone, not even my dad? Hehe xx

Lovely idea, glad you got it changed. Xxx

Are your parents divorced? Otherwise, that would be too cruel! :)

I'm the type of person who is rather shy about personal health matters, and so I was reluctant to tell any family members before the first trimester but this time I told my sister right away and it turned out to be such a relief. It made it easier to wait to tell others. And yes, she kept it quiet, though she did get to tell one friend of hers. So hard to keep a secret...esp this kind!

No there still together! I just no how crap my dad is at secrets haha

It will be a great relief for me but I no my mum will be bursting to tell haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"