spaghetti bolonese recipe

dgirllamius

Lena's Mutter
Reaction score
I need a good spaghetti bolognese, preferably one that doesn't overload it with salt.

Currently I've been making it with a tomato sauce from a jar but the amount of salt in it is crazy so I want to make the sauce myself.

TIA!

Fry an onion and a clove of garlic (or two if you're in my family). Dice and fry a red or orange pepper, throw in some sliced mushrooms to absorb any excess oil.

Fry off some beef mince, drain any fat. Add back in the fried onion, pepper and mushrooms.

Add 1 tin of tomatoes, good squirt of tomato puree and 1/2 tbsp of sugar. I sometimes add Worcestershire or beef OXO if I think it needs a pap up. I never use red wine anymore but would add a glug of this at this stage.

Chuck in a load of mixed herbs and voila. Let it simmer, taste and adjust the flavour with a bit of anything you want.

You can throw in any veg by the way, this is just what I use for my fussy family.

Fry onions and garlic and then add 500g extra lean mince, season and them cook until browned

I then add tin tomatoes, half tube tom purée, oxo cube, tsp oregano, bay leaf, half glass of red wine, splash of Worcester sauce

Sometimes I add red peppers and mushrooms too

The trick is to let it simmer for at least two hrs I think this makes a huge difference

Here's mine....excuse the state of the recipe :haha:

https://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/sue_881/057F7422-501E-4480-ABDF-F8C116A30473_zpsso8sh90t.jpg

Onion
Garlic
mince all fried together drain the fat
Pasatta
Tom puree
oxo
mixed herbs
dash of chili powder
worstershire sauce
splsh of wine
good glug of lemon juice
bisto gravy powder just enough to thicken it
simmer then eat :D

The way I've been making it recently is

Onion
Garlic
Mince
Tinned tomatoes
Oregano
Basil
Marjoram
Ground cumin

I'm not one for exact amounts when I'm cooking to be honest, it's usually taste as I go, but it works out roughly as a tbsp of each of your herbs other than ground cumin which is just about a tsp!

Very tasty :)

xo

i dont eat mince at all anymore but i make a DAMN good bolognese...hmmm i havent made it in over a year but if i remember correctly the ingredients are:

2 rashers finely chopped bacon
Onion
Garlic
Mince
Red wine
Chopped celery and mushroom
A teaspoon of sugar
A glug of milk
Dried oregano and marjoram
A few dashes of worcester sauce
Tinned tomatoes

Milk sounds weird but its sooo good for balancing out the acidity of the tinned tomatoes without adding too much sugar

Fry onions and garlic and then add 500g extra lean mince, season and them cook until browned

I then add tin tomatoes, half tube tom purée, oxo cube, tsp oregano, bay leaf, half glass of red wine, splash of Worcester sauce

The trick is to let it simmer for at least two hrs I think this makes a huge difference

Two hours!? That'll be why mine never tastes that good then, I have it cooked in about 15 minutes :lol:

Mine goes like this:
Minced Beef
1 Onion
3 Garlic Cloves
Pack of passata or tinned tomatoes - we prefer passata
1 Carrot - diced or grated
Mixed Herbs to taste
A pinch of ground nutmeg - I find this ingredient crucial and adds to the overall flavour
A pinch of sugar
Pepper

Sometimes I add any extra veg I may have spare to bulk it out, things like: leeks, red pepper, grated courgette etc. I would add mushrooms but none of us like them in this house. Also the longer you simmer it for the better.

I would never go back to using jars for bolognese now, it's so easy to make from scratch.

I just use mince, canned tomatoes, tomatoe purée, onions, garlic, carrot (grated), mushrooms, sugar and wine if I have it.

Never heard about milk before, might try that.

Two hours!? That'll be why mine never tastes that good then, I have it cooked in about 15 minutes :lol:

I leave mine ages too. Makes tomatoes sweeter naturally and the mince more melt in mouth :)

I also cook mine (in oven) on a low heat for a few hours. Tastes gorgeous and meat so tender.

I do it in slow cooker as prefer mince softer. I use garlic, mushroom? Half a cooking apple grated, sweetcorn, passata, oregano, regge regge sause (a splash) sometimes I buy the Colemans packet mix as kids love iy xx

Ok so I tried it (sadly half the stuff I can't buy here like bisto, oxo so just made something out of most of the recipes here lol and hoped for the best).

Chucked in some onion and garlic, added mince and let it brown off. Then added pasatta and tomato puree from the tube, then added some basil and oregano and some red wine left to simmer for an hour and omg it was delicious.

I'm not tempted to get a slow cooker, my oven is killing my electric bill.

Thanks so much ladies, not ever going back to those jars again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->