Spelling and pronunciation help please

JessdueJan

Reaction score
The name Madeleine...
We like it pronounced with Lynne at the end. The most obvious spelling for this is Madelyn but I prefer is written Madeleine for some reason. How would you spell and pronounce the various variations of this name. Please could you let me know which country your from with your reply too just so I can get an idea of what's most common where. Thanks ladies xx

I’d pronounce your preferred spelling as Lane without your introduction, but if you introduce you daughter as M-lynne then others will too. my middle name is Sara but pronounced as most spell Sarah. Those who know me know how we pronounce it in my family. Stick with your guns!
(UK)

I'm in the States and before reading your post pronounced it as your preferred pronunciation. I have a common named spelled in an uncommon way (Kaity - pronounced like Katie). I get a lot of people mispronounce it but I just correct and move on and doesn't phase me. I love having a more unique spelling. I say go with what you love!

I prefer Madeleine (Lynn) spelled that way as well, it was on our short list, LO would have likely been called Maddy anyways. I knew a Madeleine who pronounced it that way (Lynn) with no issues growing up either.

I always prefer classic, traditional name spellings even if it warrants occasional mispronunciation. My LO’s name is Elena (e- lane- uh) spelled that way because it’s the traditional spelling of “alaina, alayna etc” , it’s mispronounced from time to time, but I don’t mind because it’s how it’s truly classically spelt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->