sperm test

Polkadotty

Reaction score
When sperm is being tested does the motility and morphology decrease after ejaculation?

When sperm is being tested does the motility and morphology decrease after ejaculation?

Erm... as opposed to when it's still within the testicles ?

Yes, which is why its tested right away for accurate results. Sperm have a shelf life, within the testicles, within the uterus and uhhh just out there in thin air. After ejaculation sperm continue to live and thrive for up to 5 days in the uterus, if your husband say ejaculates near your vagina you could get pregnant because the sperm is still alive. Once it's exposed to open air it dies a lot faster than when in side a female. If a semen analysis is being done it's advised to have the male ejaculate at the testing facility so that sperm can't begin to die off prematurely, skewing the results.

The motility decreases but not the morphology...

When my partner did his sample we handed it to the lab within 10mins of producing the sample but the sample wasn't tested until 2 hours after that and the motility came back low so wondered if it could be inaccurate because it wasn't tested straight away.

I am a lab tech and we routinely perform SA. At our lab we do an initial motility (within 1 hour of ejaculation) and a 2 hour motility (again from time of ejaculation). A motility of at least 40% is considered normal (for either times). Naturally the 2 hour motility will be less than the initial motility. It gives the doctor an idea about the survival rate of sperm. It takes a while for sperm to make their way into the cervix and then the uterus...so if not a lot of sperm are moving (hence dead) at 2 hours then there's even less sperm available to make the journey to the egg. Another thing to consider is that the lab could have perform all the testing as soon as they got the sample but didn't report out the results until much later (this happens a lot)...

But on our test results it said received by lab and the time it was received was two hours after I handed it in so just assumed that's why maybes and it said there was insufficient sperm to determine morphology as they said there wasn't a time on the sample but there was. Just totally gutted that its not good news.

But on our test results it said received by lab and the time it was received was two hours after I handed it in so just assumed that's why maybes and it said there was insufficient sperm to determine morphology as they said there wasn't a time on the sample but there was. Just totally gutted that its not good news.

I would definitely look into getting a second one done...sounds like lab error. Never heard of not being able to report morphology because of insufficient sperm...morphology is done from dead sperm and you only need about 200 sperm to come up with a percentage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->