Spicy food, does it work?

purpleshark

Reaction score
I had a really hot piri piri sauce today in the hope it'll help being labour on. Anyone had experience of this? Or is it just wishful thinking lol

Spicy hot food nope, aromatic spicy food possibly. At least in my experience it has worked three times xx

I'd say it's just an old wives tale. I tried Thai food that is both spicy and aromatic towards the end of my first pregnancy and it did not work. I went in labour about a week later, 3 days before my due date, but it was not definitely because of the thai food.

Spicy hot food nope, aromatic spicy food possibly. At least in my experience it has worked three times xx

Ooh can you give an example? I'm a big fan of Korma - do you mean like that? x

Im sure its just intended to give you diarrhoea in the hopes the cramps will trigger contractions. So it would need to be a LOT hotter than you usually have.
I think diarrhoea cramps sometimes can lead to contractions, isn't that how the castor oil works?

Damn ah well least it was tasty eh lol. Thanks for all replies :)

Ooh can you give an example? I'm a big fan of Korma - do you mean like that? x

Yep stuff like korma, butter chicken, dhansak (the restauranty version the real authentic one is much hotter), Malayan etc. The key spices seem to be ginger, turmeric , cinnamon, black 'onion' seeds these are all used in one form or another to induce labour in many traditional societies. I really thought it was a coincidence and an old wives take too but as I said it had worked for me three times in dramatic fashion. Second eldest I was nearly a full 14 days overdue and nothing was working I had a stretch and sweep days earlier it did nothing except cause a few nasty braxton hicks and spotting. I was due to be induced the next day and was so depressed so OH took me out for curry, afterwards I felt odd and spaced out then at about 1am I woke up feeling like I needed the toilet (or that's what I thought it was), went to the toilet and went back to sleep not for long though I woke up in very intense labour and we just got to the hospital in time, had my waters not needed breaking he probably would have come out in the car. He was born at 4.07am

Second youngest it was my due date and I was planning a home birth however in that area they didn't like you to go more than a week over with a homebirth and I was worried as I was carrying very high and hasn't had any remotely uncomfy braxton hicks even. I ate the curry the night before my due date and had a show innthe early hours of the morning, then the next day about lunchtime I had the leftovers and literally he moved down and engaged while I was eating. I went upstairs to show my husband and he almost fell over. A few hours later my doula friend came over and we were planning to go to tesco as I still felt fine but she had to go home for something. I went to lie down had one mega contraction then another 15 minutes later then they were every 1-2 minutes. The midwives only just got to me 5 minutes before he was born. My friend was so shocked when I texted her just over two hours after she had left to say I had the baby :D.

With my youngest I was 38+ 4 only but he had been in the same awkward left facing position since 23 weeks and it was really uncomfortable. I kept getting horrible BH but they didn't amount to much even though I had patches of really intense ones. Again got OH to get me the curry meal, had some one evening and had some patchy but proper contrax throughout the next day but they kept tailing off. Then I had the leftovers that evening at about 8 or 9pm, started to feel uncomfortable and about 20 minutes later started having more regular contractions. By 11pm I could barely talk so OH said lets get to the hospital I got there and was only 1cm dilated but definitely in labour, and as it was really snowy that day they wouldn't send me home. He was born in the waters waters everything intact at 3.47am. I'm definitely going to try it again this time but will be interesting to see if the vegan versions of curries have the same kind of effect xx

LOL, I ate jalapenos and hot sauce last night until I felt like my whole face was on fire. It did work to upset my tummy, but..... still pregnant. :dohh:

Oh trust me ladies, if hot, spicy, aromatic food brings on labour, every indian women esp. South indian will be going into preterm labour..
The creamed out curries we get here, are not at all spicy or hot compared to what we usually eat. And still I went on for a glorious 40+ 4 without a single contraction ... lol

Oh trust me ladies, if hot, spicy, aromatic food brings on labour, every indian women esp. South indian will be going into preterm labour..
The creamed out curries we get here, are not at all spicy or hot compared to what we usually eat. And still I went on for a glorious 40+ 4 without a single contraction ... lol

Not necessarily as they would be used to it more than the average person. I rarely eat curries under ordinary circumstances. Also it only works if things are already favourable so it wouldnt cause labour before a woman is ready. I am not talking about chilli but certain aromatic spices. All I know is it seemingly worked for me three times so if it works it is worth trying again when the time comes. Xx

It worked for me. My partner gave me half of his chicken madras and I never eat hot stuff, ate it and went into labour 2 hours later! Going to give it a go again this time although it was probably just a fluke!

I think it might help if you were already there or nearly there. I definitely feel that change is afoot - I had a curry on Friday and will have another hotter one tonight. But then I have a little pregnancy constipation too :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->