Spinal block vs epidural

Catmumof4

Reaction score
Hi I'm sneaking over from second trimester just to ask a question, bit about me, I am on baby number 5 and have been diagnosed with having fibromyalgia since my last baby I have had epidurals with all 4 (I'm not good with pain before I had fibro) and only one out of the 4 epidurals have worked, I'm terrified to give birth this time because I'm already in a lot of pain, because the epidurals have previously all failed bar one I was thinking possibly asking for a spinal block? Iv looked up the difference and it says that it's for shorter time use so I don't really know how it would work? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? My labours have all been long and because I have previously haemorrhaged with one I'm no longer eligible for a water birth. Any suggestions welcome x

Hi, not too sure on this one, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask for spinal block but as far as i remember from having 1 with my first (i ended up with forceps) i couldn't really move at all so don't know if they will give you that unless you're delivering in the surgery. I've not had an epidural before so i can't compare the two. Do you normally have quite quick deliveries? Have you tried things like tens machines? I have tried pethidine etc first time round but refused them all after 1st baby as they did nothing except make me throw up everywhere. Sorry not much help hun def ask your midwife or consultant at your next appointment x

Thank u for your reply hun I tried a tens and hated it lol I will ask my consultant he's brilliant I'm sure he will come up with something but that's not until June, random question does forceps cause any extra pain after birth x

Thank u for your reply hun I tried a tens and hated it lol I will ask my consultant he's brilliant I'm sure he will come up with something but that's not until June, random question does forceps cause any extra pain after birth x

Honestly.. i would never have them again. They give you an episiotomy which is big cut from your vagina to near your bum. It took me a good 6 weeks before i could sit normally on it plus it got really infected it was so awful. My next two births after were normal deliveries with a few stitches and i bounced back within a week! Last time the midwide said i wouldn't of needed them but he came out back to back with his hand over his face little monkey! X

OMG that must have been awful! As if Labour isn't enough on its own x

Hi Cat,

I ended up with C-sections for both full term pregnancies, but I have had both an epidural and a spinal block.

Epidural with my first didn't fully work, I could still feel half my belly after significant time had passed so they ended up knocking me out entirely as we were both in distress and they couldn't wait any longer.

With my second, since the epi hadn't worked previously, they went with a spinal block. I couldn't feel anything except pressure. It worked for long enough and wore off pretty quickly afterwards. I could still move my upper body and was allowed to hold the baby much sooner than after the general. You definitely won't be able to move around!

I will be at a different hospital, with a different doctor this time around. I'm not sure what we are doing yet, but my experience with the spinal block was much more controlled and effective than the epidural. Everyone is different though!

I had a failed epidural so they tried a spinal block and that failed too. Basically the doc couldn't get anything to work. So I was all natural until 9cms then I stalled (!!)...over 12 hours had passed so a new anesthetist was on duty and she was able to give me a walking epidural. I ended up with a spinal headache and they aren't sure if it was from spinal block or epidural but from one of the failed ones...ugh, not fun either way. I am sorry I don't have any good experiences other than in the end the walking epidural worked.

FWIW I have NO IDEA what I'm doing this time. I had a vaccuum assit in the end and have the option for a C Section this time but I'm just playing it by ear...

Wow allie that sounds stressful wht is the difference between the walking and ordinary x

Wow allie that sounds stressful wht is the difference between the walking and ordinary x

With the walking, I had a pump and I could control if i had more or less. I was able to actually move my legs and get into a squatting position and things. I don't think I could actually have WALKED but I was able to move around as opposed to having no control over my legs.

My fear is that they have failed in 3 out of 4 that I have had and now I have fibromyalgia I won't cope with pain relief, doesn't help my mum is really pushy and keeps saying I don't need pain relief I can do it naturally x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->