spinal vs general

pineapple91

Reaction score
with my last c section they tried to give me a spinal but it didn't take and ended up have general anaesthetic. I had thought that i wouldn't even try the spinal and just go straight to having a general. However today i had my pre op and the anaesthesiologist says that there is less risk with a spinal and convinced me to try. I liked to be awake and for my husband to be in the room with me something that can't happen if i get a general. what is every one else doing any fears?

I opted for a spinal with DD2 (ELCS) because I wasn't awake when they took DD1 (EMCS) and I was super upset about it. I'd go for a spinal if you could...you definitely want to see your child when they take their first breath, it's amazing!!

ETA: I will say that it was a bit scary because you feel like it's hard to breathe, I got so anxious because of that, but you have to calm yourself down.

Good luck!

I was in a similar situation myself, in 2010 I had DS by emcs and had a epidural which didn't work ended up horrific and me needing a general. Then in 2012 I was scheduled to had DD by elective csection I was 98% certain I was to have a general as I was terrified of it not working etc, well the morning of the section I spoke to the consultant and he understood my concerns and fears and managed to talk me into going for a spinal so hubby could be in the room and I would be awake to see baby born.... Best decision I've ever made, they made sure my spinal was working before going anywhere near me it worked perfectly.

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/246197//thumb.png
My Ovulation Chart

The spinal literally only takes about 3 minutes to do, at the most. It's nerve-racking, but no worse than getting the IV! :)

The spinal didn't hurt at all. And they will move your legs and poke you and ask if you can feel anything before they even start. I would absolutely go for the spinal over general!! All you feel during the procedure is a lot of pressure, feels like someone's pushing on your lungs when they're pulling the baby out, but all in all it's done so fast. The longest part is just stitching you up, which you don't feel at all either. And now a days most hospitals will bring baby right to your chest after c-section and you can keep them there the whole time.

I had a planned c-section a week ago, and had a spinal. Getting it really wasn't bad at all, and they had to do mine twice because I could still feel after the first time. It was just a pinch and some pressure and then my legs felt heavy, warm and tingly. The pins and needles wasn't the most pleasant, but is apparently normal and honestly I forgot about it after a few minutes in all the excitement. The anesthesia didn't go very high up on me (it was well below my breasts), so I had NO problems breathing, although this probably varies from person to person. It was awesome to be awake and have skin to skin in the operating room. I'll admit it is a bit emotionally overwhelming so I'd ask lots of questions about what will happen during the cesarean ahead of time so you know what to expect. I did this, and am glad I did because I was much more comfortable this way. If you have an option for a spinal I would totally take it. I was alert all day, and up and walking with no IV and no catheter by early that evening. They'll give you pain drugs, but you can ask for ones that won't make you out of it.

I worry about next time. as with dd2 (normal birth) the epidural didnt work properly, but did my first labour. my 3rd baby was section and spinal made me really sick. what would happen next time, put to sleep is not an option. x

With my EMCS I had a spinal and was awake for the birth and had OH in the room with me. Unfortunately I did go back to theatre soon after and that was under general and so scary to be put to sleep IMO. I'd go with spinal if there was a choice as you can have OH with you for support.

x

I thought the spinal was cake compared to the epidural! I don't even remember the spinal hurting. The only bad part was a headache afterwards.

My spinal actually did hurt when she did it but it's all over so quickly that I'd probably do it again. She didn't think it had worked first time and I said to forget it and knock me out but she had actually got it there.

One thing that I wasn't expecting is that you can feel sensation still even though you can't feel pain. That is a REALLY tough thing to reconcile as there is no other time I can think of where you can feel someone touching your skin but you can't feel a scalpel. I wish someone had mentioned that sensation to me as I was in a panic when they wanted to start as I could feel them touching me.

I think I'd probably have a general next time as I found it mentally challenging to be awake for a major op! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->