Spontaneous labour after two inductions?

Piper84

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I haven't posted here in a while but I'm 36 weeks and baby is measuring two weeks ahead. The doctor and midwives don't want him to get too large and my last two labours have been induced, #1 cos he was 10 days late and #2 cos my husband was working in another city during the week and we wanted a weekend birth so he could be there (due date +3).

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to go into spontaneous labour despite only having inductions previously? Theoretically #2 may have come on her own but we'll never know. With my past two pregnancies I had absolutely zero BHs but this time I seem to have had a few (minor contractions on the front of bump...).

No help because I've been induced 3 times, but interested to see the replies because I hope to go into spontaneous labour this time!:)

I'm in the same boat, been induced twice and plan to go spontaneously this time! I'm refusing induction so far :D

There's absolutely no reason you wouldn't go into labour yourself with enough time given. Remember your midwives advice is just that and you don't have to be induced if you don't feel it's right for you

For some reason I got it into my head that I don't go into labour naturally, but speaking to my mum she had an induction first time after being 10 days late and then second time went 8 days over, before going into spontaneous labour. These things can be genetic I suppose.

I've just been reading that you can increase your chances of a timely labour by cutting down on white carbs and sugar in the last few weeks (or giving them up completely). Apparently the insulin spike that happens after you've eaten these things prevents your body from producing enough prostaglandin, which is what you need to go into labour by yourself! I can only find sources in German though.

I'm determined...that and walking, curries and raspberry leaf tea :haha:

My doctor is saying I won't be allowed to go over my due date for fear of having too large a baby, so hopefully the LO decides to come out earlier.

I had a cervical exam yesterday and apparently I'm just under 2cm dilated and effaced (not sure what %). This wasn't the case for the other two, as far as I can remember.

Last night I tried to turn over and started howling with unbelievable round ligament pain, but I don't think that's a labour sign :wacko: I have had cramping and slight back ache ever since the cervical exam though.

I thought I'd post a little follow-up. Basically I was having false labour and BH all over the place but didn't go into labour on my own :nope:

I was induced at 39+6 with cytotec (misoprostol), which is used off-label in Germany for inductions where the mother is showing very little progression (I was 2cm dilated and only partly effaced). It's not used on the NHS for this purpose but I think maybe in the US and other countries.

I got given the first dose at 8am to see how the baby would react to it. I had it for my past two inductions too so it was expected to be no problem, although they have to be sure. It can lead to distress and slowed or increased heart rate and end up in an emergency c-section.

Every two hours I was given a slightly increased dose until after 12 hours I was only at 5cm. By this time I was in tears during contractions and desperate, got offered an epidural and gladly took it. That and the drip meant I was at 9cm within half an hour, then out bubba came in three pushes. All in all a very long and boring induction and I later found out the epidural wasn't even working as it should because DH was supposed to be pushing a button to release the anaesthetic :haha:

Rhys weighed 9lb 7oz and is therefore my largest baby yet. I had a first-degree tear cos he had his hand on his cheek coming out but otherwise no other complications. He was also considered "overdue" cos all his vernix was gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->