Spotting after vaginal swab for strep b test

leoeps1982

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am 27w5d pregnant. Yesterday, I went to my usual doctor's appointment. This was the GD test one. The nurse told me that they will be doing another routine test that day, the swab for strep b. Having read about this, I said that I thoughrt this was given later. She replied that this doctor checks for it twice, once at the GD test appointment and once at 35 weeks.

I didn't mind, the appointment proceeded normally, drew blood for GD, drank the orange stuff, measured by belly, my weight, gave them a urine sample, saw the baby on the small office ultrasound machine. Doc said all looks good, heartbeat, fluid level normal etc.

Then, he said he will do the swab. Well it hurt like hell! Took me by surprise. It hurt inside the vagina and in between the vagina and urethra. As he pulled it out, he said "hmm, there is blood here, probably from irritation." After he left, and I cleaned myself up, there was indeed a half-dollar coin size red stain on the tissue. Since it was the GD test, I hung around the office for an hour, and when I went to pee again, it hurt burned like hell, and more red/pink spots. I asked the doctor again about the spotting, he said it was nothing.

For the next few hours, after I peed, it burned, and there was more pinkish spotting. I thought it was going away, and then that evening, again it burned after peeing and this time I saw big spot of fresh red blood. I freaked out, called the after hours service for the doctor. He mentioned UTI, but I said I had no symptoms whatsoever before the swab. Then he said its probably an abrasion from the swab. He recommended warm milk conpresses, to stay off my feet and to call his office in the morning.

Well, throughout the night, the sporting turned light pink, and was light brown in the morning. Strangely, I found that if I lean to the right when I pee, it doesnt burn, so I've been doing that. Called doc this morning, told him everything, he said it sounds good, again likely an abrasion, and I dont have to come in and can resume normal activities.

Anyone had a similar experience? I should mention, that the spotting was never enough to stain underwear, I just saw it on tp, and I never spotted in this pregnancy ( except after pap smear) even during BD.

Not sure how would a cotton swab cause abrasion? I dont have similar experience but hope you recover well. Do put your feet up and rest.

that doesn't sound like a normal strep b test. it's not supposed to hurt, and the doctor just swabs the inside of your vagina with a cotton swab (barely even goes in) and also your rectum. that's it. you don't even feel it.

i would ask a different doctor.

That is not a normal strep B test. Mine have been painless. And there is absolutely no value in doing it that early. That is just weird. But most likely, just a bit of irritation causing the bleeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->