Spotting on and off; thickened endometrium but no sac

ltbustle

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I discovered I was pregnant last Thursday, the 5th. I think I would have been right at 4 weeks on that day. On the 6th (Friday) I saw a tinge of brown when I wiped, but then nothing.

Then, Tuesday, I wiped and red blood. That day I went to the community clinic and had a urine test done to confirm and make an appointment. I've had several previous losses, including an ectopic, and ectopic needs to be ruled out early for me.

The nurse at the clinic told me to drink lots of water, and literally as soon as I started drinking, the bleeding stopped (maybe coincidence, but my pee was REALLY dark so I def needed it).

Yesterday I spotted just a bit of brown when I wiped, not enough for a liner, even. But then last night I had some cramping. Then today had red blood like 3-4 times when I wiped; still not enough for a pad. But now it's just little tiny brown bits (flakes of blood? tissue? idk)

I went in today for a transvaginal scan and my endometrium was thickened but there was no sac. If my dates are right, I would be 5w1d today. Shouldn't there be a sac? The tech said the thickened endometrium could be the start of something, but could it also be the end of something? I had an early m/c last month, so I didn't have a typical "period," and I don't know when I ovulated. They did an HCG quant today and will do another Monday when I go see OB.

Has anyone had thickened endometrium but no sac around 5 weeks? Also, did anyone else spot on and off, brown and red, like I have? Did you miscarry that one, or are you still pregnant? I know there's no way to gauge what's going to happen with me, but it's nice to hear others' stories.

Oh, also, I took another HPT today, and it's darker and came up more quickly than Tuesday's. Don't know if that matters. Thanks for listening!!

Have a look at my thread 'spotting again :(' it sounds pretty similar to what I've gone through, except I've not had a scan. I don't think you can see anything until 6 weeks, so try not to worry xxxx

Hi there in my last pregnancy I spotted Brown pink and red blood from 4 weeks till about 11 weeks I didn't have a early scan so can't say if they would see anything at 5 weeks or not but the spotting I had it so many times and my boy is two now and is perfect had no problems don't know if this helps but sometimes people just spot and it's nothing it's not always bad as someone else said I do think 5 weeks is very early to see anything usally 6 weeks id say hope all turns out fine for you x

Have a look at my thread 'spotting again :(' it sounds pretty similar to what I've gone through, except I've not had a scan. I don't think you can see anything until 6 weeks, so try not to worry xxxx

Thank you Holly. I did read your thread and I'm so sorry you're going through this, too. I'm happy to see your betas came back normal, though!!

Hi there in my last pregnancy I spotted Brown pink and red blood from 4 weeks till about 11 weeks I didn't have a early scan so can't say if they would see anything at 5 weeks or not but the spotting I had it so many times and my boy is two now and is perfect had no problems don't know if this helps but sometimes people just spot and it's nothing it's not always bad as someone else said I do think 5 weeks is very early to see anything usally 6 weeks id say hope all turns out fine for you x

Thank you!! Yes this does make me feel better. I know it doesn't mean it'll turn out the same for me but at least there's a chance.

soo my hcg on Friday came back at 452, and the repeat on Monday only showed 566. My spotting increased in flow over the weekend, but was mostly brown discharge with tiny brown/ black bits. Now it has ceased altogether.

I haven't had any pain whatsoever. My doctor was so alarmed by my hcg not doubling that she sent me to another OB to "discuss my options." I went today, and thankfully, the new OB is not pushing me to end the pregnancy. They did another ultrasound today, and there is still no sac, but the endometrium is still thickened (you know how when there's a sac, it looks like an over easy egg on an ultrasound? mine looks like an egg over easy without the yolk. sorry for the somewhat unexpectedly perverse simile.)

I understand all signs point to miscarriage. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws, but.... here's what I've found:

1. I have a tilted uterus. Anecdotal evidence suggests that pregnancies are harder to find (in early stages) via u/s when a tilted uterus is involved. Also, my hcg is less than 1,000, which is when I understand a sac should be visible via ultrasound.

2. My hcg levels still increased, albeit slowly. Is it possible I was pregnant with more than one and just lost one? Two of my last three confirmed pregnancies were twins/ started out as twins.

3. My spotting has stopped and never increased to anything beyond a "spot." Also, I haven't had any pain other than mild back pain/ sporadic light cramps.

Again, I realize I may be grasping at straws! Just thinking about how different this is from my last miscarriage, and the one before that, and the one before that............. they were all very similar and not at all like this.

I would of thought the best thing for them to do now, would be to repeat your bloods again. I agree you wouldn't see anything on a scan at that hcg, so the only way they can see what's happening is with the betas at this stage.

Fx your bloods were just slowly rising and everything is ok. It's horrible the waiting game xxx

Have they ruled out ectopic?

I hope all works out for you.
x

They are almost certain this is not ectopic. There was a spot on my ovary they were investigating but it was just my follicle. They don't see any indication of a pregnancy being anywhere, really, except my thickened endometrium.

Side note: apparently, the term I was looking for with the egg analogy was "decidualized endometrium." That's what shows on the u/s, and I could swear I saw a tiny, perfectly round sac, but the tech said not. It must have been something else. I should have asked.

Still no pain, no bleeding, just light brown discharge when I wipe (only sometimes). Still waiting to miscarry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->