SSRIs & breast feeding desperate for advice

CharCharxxx

Reaction score
My LO is coming up 15 weeks and is exclusively breast fed. I absolutely adore bf and have been enjoying my new addition so much. However I hav suffered on and off over the past 7 years with extreme generalised anxiety for which I've taken medication and had CBT which worked for a while. Anyway I was on sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg before I got pregnant and stopped it as soon as I found out and haven't been back on since. I was doing ok but since having my LO my anxiety has peeked and is having a huge impact on my life and starting to make me slightly depressed with it Which its never done before. I've been trying to ignore it as I'm absolutely terrified that if I go back on the sertraline while bf that it's going to give my baby some sort of mental health issue or effect his brain development (an example of my irrational thoughts ) I know they say about the benefits outweighing the risks but at the same time I'm petrified of harming the baby with these meds in my system. I don't want to give up bf either I want to do minimum 6 months but want to aim for anything up to a year if I can! Help me someone I'm desperate. Thank you x

Hi Hun,

Have you been to your doctor? I know you said you have had CBT before but could you try that again before meds? I suffered from PND with my son and went onto meds when he was six weeks. It helped SO much I can't describe.

I know you want to BF but maybe some meds are safe to use when BF'ibg? Maybe ask your dr? They say happy mum happy baby. I know it's so tough but you have to look after yourself so that you can look after your little one.

I remember the lie feelings from having my son - I too have had bad anxiety/depression over the years so I hopefully can understand. Huge hugs. You're doing so well recognising the symptoms and taking action - you're so strong! ��

Hi Hun,

Have you been to your doctor? I know you said you have had CBT before but could you try that again before meds? I suffered from PND with my son and went onto meds when he was six weeks. It helped SO much I can't describe.

I know you want to BF but maybe some meds are safe to use when BF'ibg? Maybe ask your dr? They say happy mum happy baby. I know it's so tough but you have to look after yourself so that you can look after your little one.

I remember the lie feelings from having my son - I too have had bad anxiety/depression over the years so I hopefully can understand. Huge hugs. You're doing so well recognising the symptoms and taking action - you're so strong! ��

Thank you so much for the reply Hun, yes I will book an appointment with my doctor this week as I can't go on like this it's ruining what is a lovely and prescious time with my little one. I'm so on edge all the time and constantly getting stressed with things that don't normally worry me. My other two LO's were doing arts and crafts in the living room earlier and I walked in and saw the mess and I felt like I was going to have a break down which is so not like me. I had to walk away and go upstairs to calm myself down its not nice :(

So just had a google to see what it said and first thing that popped up was this

Zoloft seems to be the safest to take while breastfeeding. In studies of many breastfeeding infants whose mothers were taking Zoloft, the drug has either been undetectable in the infant's blood or is present in insignificant amounts.

Also worth remembering that 50mg isn't a huge dose so it's even less likely to have any affect on LO, good luck talking to your doctor, I have anxiety too and I suck at making that phone call :hugs:

Well done for recognising what's going on for you , that's not easy and the biggest step :)
Be sure to get your thyroid checked as well don't just assume its general anxiety. I say this as I had post partum thyroiditis which made me majorly anxious .. As sense of impending doom ALL THE TIME which I didn't understand . Turned out my thyroid was out of wack and I needed medication for that . Its common post pregnancy which I also didn't know . So be sure to ask the doc to check it :)

Well done recognizing that something is wrong hon, you'll be feeling better in no time. I take 10mg citalopram (generic brand of Celexa/Lexapro) and took it all through pregnancy and now while breastfeeding, on the advice of my doctor due to the severity of my depressive episodes when I am not on it. Hang in there, see what your doctor says, maybe even get a second opinion from another doctor if you want! You're doing great already by addressing the problem head on. Rooting for you!

Thank you so much for these replies ladies I really appreciate it. My doctor who I trust is away this week so got an appointment booked for next week I can't wait to not feel like this anymore. Such a strange thing I'm still really enjoying having my new LO even though I feel like this. I didn't realise thyroid could have an impact I'll ask to go for a blood test to check that! Just in case. Thanks again all of you xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->