Starting a nursing course while newborn is 3 weeks.

mumma koala

Reaction score
Hi! I'm 17 years old and currently 27 weeks pregnant, I've applied for a 2 year nursing course at a nursing school near where I live, I've nearly fully enrolled into it but I have one more form to sign but I don't know if it's the right decision. It'll be a 3 day a week course then moving onto 5 days a week for placement at the end of each semester, which means I'll be working from as early as 6:00am to as late as 10:30pm, I really want to do this course but if I do this course there will be an hour were the baby will have no one watching her till someone in my family finishes work and comes home. Does anyone have any advice or stories they could share? Anything would be greatly appreciated:D

Put baby with sitter or daycare.
Dont go to school and wait until baby is in school to go back
Do online courses

Hey there

The best thing to do is to find a good day care of babysitter.

I was taking online courses while pregnant and I did a semester where the first half I was pregnant and I had to finish the last month as a single mom to a newborn. I actually wrote my midterm while in early labor, thankfully these were online classes and an online midterm. I would recommend you go back to school, I started working my regular 9 to 5 job when my daughter was 10 weeks old which is when she started daycare.

In hindsight going back to work at 10 weeks worked out well and I was ready then and having a break during the day from parenting was a relief as I had no help at all with my daughter and lived alone. However doing even online classes with a newborn was hard as I wasn't mentally ready to focus on anything but my baby in the first 6 weeks after birth. Even when I did have time to do the work while she slept I just couldn't get myself into the right mindset to focus and I was sleep deprived. I do regret that semester and wished I'd decided to skip it as my grades were passing but hurt my gpa. I never did go back yet but plan to pick up my last 2 courses over the summer but this is my third degree and I have a good job so finishing isn't urgent for me.

If you can wait on school until your daughter is passed the first couple months then I'd say that's probably a good option, although if you can't delay a semester then for sure go back now. Don't put off school for more than a couple months, daycares in my area (Ontario Canada) will take babies as young as 6 weeks old. You can find care for that remaining hour but the first couple weeks will be an adjustment but you can push through.

I was half way through a 2 year course when I stopped to have my child. I didn’t go back till she was 18months! I cannot imagine what trying to function at study and work placements would be like with a three week old...but it’s about what works for you and I know in countries where there is no maternity leave it is much more normal for newborns to be in daycare.

Have you spoken to the school about whether you can change your mind/defer once baby is here and you know how you feel?
Can you afford daycare? (as it sounds like you have not quite enough family to cover it - you say there is a 1hr gap)
Are your family really committed to childcare for the FULL length of your course?
What are your reasons for wanting to start straight away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->