starting BLW from purees

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
this has to be like the millionth BLW related post and im sorry..
i just have to ask..
i started weaning around 4month old due to reflux & Dr's advice, i obviously started with purees, most of the food he has has lumps as i dont like to puree, mainly just much up, for example.. banana is mushed up with little lumps, if he has something with mashed potato, i try leave lumps.
but i want to start BLW soon, but ive read that there is more of a choking hazard if baby has been started on puree, so now im second guessing wether i should now or if i should wait till hes a little older.
ive tried to put him in his high chair but he seems to lean to the side, not actually sit up straight, but in his pram he does and this is where i usually feed him...

I would wait until he was 6 months old as at that age the NHS recommends adding finger food alongside purees anyway and hopefully he'll be a little more upright naturally. The risk is slightly higher as you say but all puree fed babies transition to finger food at some point and the overwhelming majority are absolutely fine I'm sure so try not to worry.

For now maybe make very thick porridge so he can pick it up in lumps and feed himself so he gets used to that side of self-feeding and it isn't too different a texture, we use large rolled oats so not the baby stuff. Then I'd offer foods like avocado and banana but just in long finger shapes so they are easy for him to mush around, although I'm sure roasted or steamed vegetables will be soft enough. Broccoli is really good too as they can hold the stalk and munch on the soft top X

Like the above poster said, it is recommended that all children start finger foods at 6months or just after (when they are able to sit upright safely). It's not a BLW vs TW thing. TW must include introducing LO's to finger food too and most babies "get it". Bigger pieces allow LO to hold the food while 'gumming' it and biting bits off. If the pieces are too small LO might be tempted to try to swallow it straight down with no chewing.

sorry i did think i said i want to start BLW when he turns 6 month, instead i said soon. but yeah hes 6 month in 2 week anyway...
he has had a chip sized carrot, he managed that just fine, hes also eaten a wotsit feeding himself, he tries to feed him self using his spoon.
when he turns 6 month i will try with very soft foods first but he does try to chew things now, with the carrot he was trying to bite and chew that...

Ah I see, it sounds like he will take well to it! Go at whatever pace you think is right for him as you will be the best judge but most cooked food is soft anyway and if something like an apple is a little too hard just put it in the microwave for 20 seconds or lightly steam it but it is surprising how well they manage! x

i guess im just so scared of him choking, we spend 9 months protecting them inside up, as protecting them as babies, yet something so simple as feeding can panic us
thanks ladies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->