Starting IVF in Dec/Jan/Feb on NHS (UK)?

So true life is not all about children oh and I have been together for 10years next and he was a very close friend for 10years before that we have done so much together and we have enjoyed every second of it but we just feel there is something missing from our lives now and OH is 42 I am 30 in march we just want to be able to still enjoy our lives but with children :)

Totally agree with that! We have a similar story, it's not all about the children, but wouldn't it be wonderful to be a family? I hope you don't mind me asking, and you don't have to answer, but are either of you having counselling? We didn't think we needed it, but is has transformed us and our relationship for the better. I used not to be able to think beyond January, but now I realise this is all part of our journey. We are more mentally prepared. We all must keep some joy in our lives, and nurture the relationships we have with those dear to us. I was up for living in a hole for the next two years and not coming out until I knew whether or not it would work, but then where would I be? I think I'm saying this because you were both discussing making plans - be kind to yourself and do whatever you need to do, keep your options open. And you must celebrate your 30th in some way, even if it's just the two of you and a box of chocs. Had a shitty birthday this year, but we went out anyway (to the theatre), and I was glad of a bit of normality and a reminder of the good things in life. We're planning a treat for Feb so that we can celebrate/ lick our wounds and have some time to regroup.
I think we might tell our in-laws at Xmas that we've known for some time we will find it very difficult to have children of our own, to explain why we've been so weird recently and why we're not shining with happiness over Xmas. But nothing about the IVF. Is that mean? I just don't want them to worry that there's something wrong because we're acting weird, but I'm not going to go through this in public either. This sucks! Sorry such a long one and that I don't reply to all posts, work is a nightmare at the moment (I'm 'working at home now - oops!). :hugs:

Hi all, is it OK if I join you? :flower:

I've just started the IVF process - I'm 36 and OH is 37 and we've been ttc for about 18 months, although NTNP for quite a bit longer. We've been quite lucky in that since seeing our GP about failing to get pregnant in the summer, everything has moved very quickly for us. All to do with my age I suppose...

Anyway, we have combined male & female factors - both fairly mild problems but the combination of both, along with the age thing, has led to us heading directly down the IVF road. We're getting one round funded on NHS, so keeping our fingers crossed that it is all we need as out PCT in south London won't pay for any more :nope:

I'm on the long protocol, so have been taking the pill for the past 3 weeks. I should have been starting my injections today, but Christmas is getting in the way, so I'm on the pill for an extra couple of weeks and will start the down-regging injections on 7 December. They haven't given me any dates for the rest of it as they'll make a decision as to when I start stimming following scans, but it is likely to be in late Dec/early Jan - which means egg collection and then transplantation (all going well) in mid-late January.

They haven't yet decided if we'll be having ICSI or IVF - they'll make that decision when they see OH's sperm on the day, but have said that it would be an easy ICSI (not sure what they meant by that, but it sounded positive!!)

So that is pretty much were we are - feeling nervous and excited, and I know I'm fortunate to have not had to wait for very long to get going. Anyway - hope you don't mind buddying up with you guys!

I can understand that, might start giving that excuse if people ask me questions about when I'm due to start IVF and so on. At the moment I just keep it as vague as possible, just telling people there's a lot of waiting to do and I can't plan anything in advance!
If your sister is pushy about the party it might be worth telling her to go ahead and organise her own and you might tag along if you can?
It's a bit of a no win situation I guess, if you are pregnant by the time your birthday comes round you won't be able to drink & might feel too tired or sick to party. On the other hand if you're not pregnant, you might not be in a mood for a party with a lot of people?
I've decided that I won't book a flight to see my sister's baby till the last minute. If treatment doesn't work I don't think I'll want to be around her just having had a baby, it wouldn't feel right. Might sound selfish but quite frankly, tough.
What we're going through is a heck of a lot of shit, people can't even begin to imagine how hard this can be on a mental level and if they want to judge so be it, but if I were you I'd think about my own well-being an that includes your mental health, whatever it is others might feel about it.
Let's hope you'll be able to celebrate your 30th with a mini bump and a sick bucket in front of you instead of a pint!
My birthday is this Sunday by the way xx

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you..! Hope you had a lovely relaxing time in Wales and it was as sunny there as it was here :flower:

Hi all, is it OK if I join you? :flower:

I've just started the IVF process - I'm 36 and OH is 37 and we've been ttc for about 18 months, although NTNP for quite a bit longer. We've been quite lucky in that since seeing our GP about failing to get pregnant in the summer, everything has moved very quickly for us. All to do with my age I suppose...

Anyway, we have combined male & female factors - both fairly mild problems but the combination of both, along with the age thing, has led to us heading directly down the IVF road. We're getting one round funded on NHS, so keeping our fingers crossed that it is all we need as out PCT in south London won't pay for any more :nope:

I'm on the long protocol, so have been taking the pill for the past 3 weeks. I should have been starting my injections today, but Christmas is getting in the way, so I'm on the pill for an extra couple of weeks and will start the down-regging injections on 7 December. They haven't given me any dates for the rest of it as they'll make a decision as to when I start stimming following scans, but it is likely to be in late Dec/early Jan - which means egg collection and then transplantation (all going well) in mid-late January.

They haven't yet decided if we'll be having ICSI or IVF - they'll make that decision when they see OH's sperm on the day, but have said that it would be an easy ICSI (not sure what they meant by that, but it sounded positive!!)

So that is pretty much were we are - feeling nervous and excited, and I know I'm fortunate to have not had to wait for very long to get going. Anyway - hope you don't mind buddying up with you guys!

:hi: SophieBee, welcome! It sounds like you will be more or less in sinc with us because of Xmas, good to have another buddy. Such a shame that you only get one go, but it only takes one, and it's great that you have been able to get started so quickly.

Had my last :drunk: this weekend and will try to live like an angel from now until Feb. Won't be easy over :xmas4: but it will be worth it!

Hello Sophiebee and welcome! Always good to have another buddy, though of course not so good that there seem to be a lot of us in this situation... :shrug:
You are very lucky indeed for things to have moved this fast for you. I first went to see your GP after failing to conceive. I first approached my GP in Sept/Oct 2009! We've spent the best part of 2 years waiting to see an NHS consultant or another. But anyway, getting close now so no point moping!

PGLady: I had a great week-end, thank you! The weather was great too, so couldn't have asked for more :thumbup:

Happy Monday everyone and have a good week x

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies :flower:

It seems the only good thing about being over the hill and past it (in terms of fertility anyway) is that everything gets hurried along at a great pace. I do feel bad when I hear about how long others have waited to get to a similar stage - the nurse we saw at our last consultation said that in Scotland the average wait from GP appointment to treatment is 4 years, which really put our situation into perspective.

It was interesting reading the whole thread and your experiences. One of the things that prompted a bit of a mini meltdown and first visit to the GP was my younger sister falling pregnant with her second after just a month of trying. She has just given birth to my new niece, who is gorgeous and lovely but it has been very difficult. It's so hard not to sound like a total bitch about these things isn't it? Still, I'm very close to my sister and she knows what we are going through, so she did her best to be sensitive and offer her support. It does help talking about this with people who know what you're going through doesn't it - even though it's sad that there are so many of us.

Hope you're all having a good week! Catch up with you soon...

Hi Ladies,

Can I join here??

Little bit about me.... Me 30 DH 30. 1 MC April 2008 and nothing since :shrug: HSG showed no problems. Clomid for 6 cycles :bfn: DH low motility. Trial ET went well and scan showed no problems.

We're looking at starting standard long protocol with this AF due next wednesday.

Period Dates - 26th Nov - 3rd Dec
Down Reg test - 10th Jan
Start Stimming - 11th Jan
Day 9 scan - 20th Jan
Egg Collection - W/C 23rd Jan

Hippie - Happy Belated Birthday xxx

Sophie Bee, Wanna and PGlady - :hi:

Does anyone else have any idea of their dates yet?

Hi Ladies,

Can I join here??

Little bit about me.... Me 30 DH 30. 1 MC April 2008 and nothing since :shrug: HSG showed no problems. Clomid for 6 cycles :bfn: DH low motility. Trial ET went well and scan showed no problems.

We're looking at starting standard long protocol with this AF due next wednesday.

Period Dates - 26th Nov - 3rd Dec
Down Reg test - 10th Jan
Start Stimming - 11th Jan
Day 9 scan - 20th Jan
Egg Collection - W/C 23rd Jan

Hippie - Happy Belated Birthday xxx

Sophie Bee, Wanna and PGlady - :hi:

Does anyone else have any idea of their dates yet?

:hi: Sambatiki, welcome. You must have had a tough couple of years, so sorry about your loss :hugs:.

I'll know more about my dates when I call in with my next AF around Dec 14th. I think they'll be along the lines of:
Start downregging 3rd Jan
Star stim around 19th Jan
Egg collection end Jan/ beginning Feb

Those dates are obviously averages, so no idea of actual dates. Looks like I'll be a week behind you, although maybe I've got something wrong as there seems to be a long time between your AF and downreg test? My first time so forgive me if I'm being thick! This would be so much easier to deal with if we could be more certain of what was happening when! Told my boss today, he was very nice and serious about looking after me, have agonised about that for ages..

PG Lady - The D-reg test possibly seems so long because I call on first day of AF then don't actually start sniffing until CD21 I think and then I need to wait for the withdrawl bleed. Ive got the full list of details in my journo. https://www.babyandbump.com/ltttc-journals/41386-samba-journo-ivf-referral-bfp-2031.html Its got the full details of what happens and when. Hope it helps.

Today Im off work sick with this awful cold, earache and sore throat :( Starting to feel REALLY nervous about calling the OFU next wednesday, still can't believe that we're going to be starting so soon.

Hope everyone else is doing well xxxx

PG Lady - The D-reg test possibly seems so long because I call on first day of AF then don't actually start sniffing until CD21 I think and then I need to wait for the withdrawl bleed. Ive got the full list of details in my journo. https://www.babyandbump.com/ltttc-journals/41386-samba-journo-ivf-referral-bfp-2031.html Its got the full details of what happens and when. Hope it helps.

Today Im off work sick with this awful cold, earache and sore throat :( Starting to feel REALLY nervous about calling the OFU next wednesday, still can't believe that we're going to be starting so soon.

Hope everyone else is doing well xxxx

Ah, I get it! I've been busy counting days too. Hope you're feeling better? Not long to go until you call in - ready to get on the rollercoaster? :dust:

Feeling slightly better thanks. VERY nervous about phoning next week!! :argh:

Hows things with you?

Hello all, thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing? Been a bit sloppy checking this lately, work is absolutely crazy at the moment and about to get even more hectic, fortunately not long till Xmas now.
First of all hello Sambatiki and welcome :flower: !
I'm a little behind you and PGLady as waiting for my period now to be able to phone in and get my appointment... should be in about 10 days now!
Thanks to all also for the birthday wishes, I had a great week. Got the last piss up out of the way, hopefully it will be the last in a long time and I made sure I wouldn't miss the booze for a loooog time, haha :oops:
Other than that, I'm trying not to make any changes until I know for sure that I'm going to get to start the IVF cycle in December.
I called at the beginning of this month but unfortunately as they close the labs for Xmas they couldn't let me start as it might have been likely that the labs would have been needed over that period. They did however note it on my file that I had requested it and they can only turn you down twice, after which they HAVE TO start you on it the 3rd time you ask. I'm confident they'll let me start in December. They seemed extremely apologetic about not letting me start last month, so fingers crossed.
Well, hope it's been a good week-end for everyone, will try and be quicker to reply, promise xx :dust:

Hi Everyone!!

Well the :witch: decided to show her ugly slag bag face early :grr: So I'm phoning the clinic tomorrow.... :argh: Im so scared!!! Im guessing that by calling on a monday we'll be quite likely to get on this cycle.

Hippie - :wave: There's not going to be much between us :hugs: I noticed that youre having TESE.... when will they do this procedure? Is it same day as collection?

Hope everyone is ok xxx

Hello all :hi:

Exciting news Sambatiki! It was the first time I was pleased to see the :witch: in a very long time. I'm just waiting to start my DR injections - not long to go now, just over a week. Does that mean that I'll be kicking us all off, or does someone start DR-ing before me? Sorry - lost track a little bit. All very exciting anyway... :happydance:

How's everyone doing? Hippie - I hear ya on the work thing, I can't wait for a bit of chilling out time over xmas! I've been a bit bummed out this weekend. I went to visit my dad, who was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this year, and he wasn't doing brilliantly. The pain is getting quite bad, so they've upped his drugs which makes him more sick. He knows that we are starting IVF and he's so desperate to hear good news from us, which I know he doesn't mean it to be but it is a bit of extra pressure :wacko:

Anyway, it has been an incredibly challenging year for all sorts of reasons, but I am going to be positive about 2012 and all the new exciting things it may bring us. Hopefully the new year will be about new life - for us all :hugs:

Oooh Sophie you could well be starting us all off!!! YIKES on D-reg injections!!! How come you are stabbing and not sniffing?? Our clinic said we could chose... so I chose sniffing :haha:

So sorry to hear about you dad :hugs: I bet that it does feel like an awful lot of pressure on your shoulders :hugs:

Yes I cant wait to kiss goodbye to 2011 its been all abit doom and gloom. 2012 is going to be the year to remember for all the right reasons :hugs:

Hi Everyone!!

Well the :witch: decided to show her ugly slag bag face early :grr: So I'm phoning the clinic tomorrow.... :argh: Im so scared!!! Im guessing that by calling on a monday we'll be quite likely to get on this cycle.

Hippie - :wave: There's not going to be much between us :hugs: I noticed that youre having TESE.... when will they do this procedure? Is it same day as collection?

Hope everyone is ok xxx

How exciting for you! Looks like that's where I will probably be at in 2 weeks time. After over 2 years of being messed about with cancelled appointments and so on it feels unreal. I bet it does for you too!
About the TESE, we already had that in May. Had to do it privately as the PCT doesn't automatically fund it, and even if we ha received funding for it there would have been over 12 months's wait! :nope:

Hello all :hi:
How's everyone doing? Hippie - I hear ya on the work thing, I can't wait for a bit of chilling out time over xmas! I've been a bit bummed out this weekend. I went to visit my dad, who was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this year, and he wasn't doing brilliantly. The pain is getting quite bad, so they've upped his drugs which makes him more sick. He knows that we are starting IVF and he's so desperate to hear good news from us, which I know he doesn't mean it to be but it is a bit of extra pressure :wacko:

Anyway, it has been an incredibly challenging year for all sorts of reasons, but I am going to be positive about 2012 and all the new exciting things it may bring us. Hopefully the new year will be about new life - for us all :hugs:

Dear oh dear, so sorry to hear about your dad. You definitely win the award for shittiest situation ever! :cry:
I agree about being positive about 2012, I'm hoping we'll all get to be bump buddies soon xx:thumbup:

Thanks guys :hugs: It's a crappy situation to be in, but onwards and upwards as they say!

Sambatiki - I didn't get offered a choice of sniffing or injections, so that decided that! :haha: To be honest, I've already had a practice try with the nurse (just with water) and it was a piece of cake. Doesn't hurt at all, as you just pinch the skin around your tummy and pop the needle in. It felt a bit weird sticking myself with a needle, but once you get your head around it it's all fine.

Anyway, time for bed. Someone set up an 8am meeting tomorrow - who would be stupid enough to do that? Oh right, me :dohh:

Catch you all soon xx :hugs:

Hi Ladies!

Called the clinic today and we're on for this cycle!! Just waiting to hear now from the drug company and the clinic to send my drugs breakdown xx

Hope everyone is ok xxx

Hi Ladies!

Called the clinic today and we're on for this cycle!! Just waiting to hear now from the drug company and the clinic to send my drugs breakdown xx

Hope everyone is ok xxx

Excellent news! So you're the first to start, do you have to wait a few weeks to start injecting? Everything crossed for you :dust:
Can I ask a stupid question (I'm good at those!), do you inject once a day? And how often would you have to sniff? I'm asking as I'm not sure if I get a choice, and convenience at work will be important..

Woo hoo! :happydance:
Congrats Sambatiki! Time to get the show on the road :thumbup:

Hope you get your drugs sorted soon - you may need to make lots of room in your fridge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->