Starting out in cloths,,, some questions please..

Kota

Mum and Preg!
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm completly convinced that I wanna go fluffy bum and have had the conversation with OH about it... he's happy to 'give it a try'. but doesn't want to lay out a heap of money on something until he's sure it will be worth it... We bought a pram for LO and have babyworn instead, and bought 3 different beds and a sensor/breathing monitor only for him to co sleep so he's a bit reluctant to fork out another heap of money until he's convinced....

(Then I'll start working on all the beautiful fluffies I keep clicking links too.. :blush:)
So, questions..

Whats a good 'starter nappy' that doesn't cost the earth? right now I'm more about proving function then looking pretty.

How many would we need to get to 'try them out'?

um,,, anything else you can give as advice, I keep reading all the threads and am feeling rather overwhelmed by it all... :wacko:

Flips...they are very good value and work very well. To give Flips a trial (ie to be able to use them through the daytime only for one full day) you would need two outers and about six inserts. You can get these trial packs for just over £50, you may be able to find them preloved for less but Flips are popular so not many people seem to sell them! The organics are better once you get the absorbency up (soaking them for a good 24 hours and then running them through the machine a few times seems to do it)
Id keep an eye out for preloved nappies for good prices. Some staple and useful nappies that work well and are BTP are Pop-Ins (bamboo are better) and Blueberrys....they are AIO, easy to use and are relatively inexpensive to buy preloved (around £12-15 for a blueberry and £5-10 for a pop-in)
I actually have Pop-Ins you would be welcome to borrow to trial if you would like? I have tonnes of them so wouldnt miss a couple :) I may also be able to part with a Flip Organic for a couple of weeks for you to try out before you commit to buy?

I'd recommend buying preloved if you just want to try things out. That way, if they don't work for you, you'll be able to sell the nappies on for the same you paid. If you really want to buy new, you could either buy some of the cheaper ones (Naughty Baby nappies on ebay are a good cheap pocket nappy) OR go for the big popular brands because they'll have a good resale value.

Also don't forget that you can use a few cloth nappies while you're still mostly using disposables until you get a feel for what you like and what works for your LO.

Hmmm... not really an expert! Bit of a late starter. Only been in cloth for 4 days! But loving it already! Just wanted to stop by and say go for it! Also - great advice that you can mix and match cloth and disposables. It's not the end of the world. This motherhood game is all about learning new things!

Flips...they are very good value and work very well. To give Flips a trial (ie to be able to use them through the daytime only for one full day) you would need two outers and about six inserts. You can get these trial packs for just over £50, you may be able to find them preloved for less but Flips are popular so not many people seem to sell them! The organics are better once you get the absorbency up (soaking them for a good 24 hours and then running them through the machine a few times seems to do it)
Id keep an eye out for preloved nappies for good prices. Some staple and useful nappies that work well and are BTP are Pop-Ins (bamboo are better) and Blueberrys....they are AIO, easy to use and are relatively inexpensive to buy preloved (around £12-15 for a blueberry and £5-10 for a pop-in)
I actually have Pop-Ins you would be welcome to borrow to trial if you would like? I have tonnes of them so wouldnt miss a couple :) I may also be able to part with a Flip Organic for a couple of weeks for you to try out before you commit to buy?

Ohhh, thank you!! That would be amazingly wonderful if you don't mind lending them out, I prmoise to take very good care of them. :thumbup:
I think I like the idea of the AIO's and pop ins, then seem pretty user friendly,, surely even I can get them right, :lol: i was looking at some bambina mio's on ebay and all that pre folding and liners was already confusing me! :blush:

I'd recommend buying preloved if you just want to try things out. That way, if they don't work for you, you'll be able to sell the nappies on for the same you paid. If you really want to buy new, you could either buy some of the cheaper ones (Naughty Baby nappies on ebay are a good cheap pocket nappy) OR go for the big popular brands because they'll have a good resale value.

Also don't forget that you can use a few cloth nappies while you're still mostly using disposables until you get a feel for what you like and what works for your LO.

I was looking at the naughty babies ones.. so they're okay? they seem really cheap in comparison to some so wasn't sure if they lacked in quality as well? I'm only going to get one chance at convincing OH about this. :wacko:

PM me your address and I will get a couple of nappies in the post to you. I think all my Flips are in the wash but they should be dry by tomorrow :) I will write a quick note to go in with them on how they work and washing instructions, I think I should be able to send you a stay dry insert as well as an organic one...
what weight is he now approx? Its possible the swaddlebees I have would fit him too and that would give you a look at a pocket nappy.

he's 4.98kgs or about 10lb14oz, thank you so much, i'll pm you now.

I found you the following-
A dream dri pop-in
A bamboo pop-in
a rockmelon small Itti
a swaddlebees pocket sidesnap
A littlweeds hemp insert (for the swaddlebees)
A Flip outer with a stay dry insert and an organic insert

:D

I don't even know what half those are and I'm excited! :rofl:

Fluffy bums.. here we come! :dance:

Lots of councils give vouchers or money back for washable nappies, and it's great if you're in one. Lots of London boroughs do. Have you looked to see if yous does?
This list is quite good! https://littlepants.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=15&chapter=50

Lots of councils give vouchers or money back for washable nappies, and it's great if you're in one. Lots of London boroughs do. Have you looked to see if yous does?
This list is quite good! https://littlepants.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=15&chapter=50

yep i found a leaflet for this yesterday actually and signed up for it.. I have to send them off some id and stuff and then it takes 4-6wks to get the vouchers sent out. I can't wait that long! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->