starving breast fed baby for an operation

merristems

proud new mummy
Reaction score
My dd is having surgery next Thurs. She has to be starved from 2am until her operation. I'm really worried because she still feeds through the night 2-3hrly(she is 9 months). Anyone have any advise in what I can do to try to make this any less stressful for us both? X

Can you get a 2nd opinion on if it really needs to be that long since breast milk digests very fast. It would be very hard withholding milk from a baby that age as they don't understand and I could imagine that you and your baby would get very distressed if she does wake expecting a feed.

This site has some info that might help: https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-surgery/

Thank you I think 8hrs starving is ridiculous for a baby. I am waiting for our pre op consult but the hospital is worse than useless at communication. I think I could manage 4hours but she has never gone longer than that without feeding.

Can you get a 2nd opinion on if it really needs to be that long since breast milk digests very fast. It would be very hard withholding milk from a baby that age as they don't understand and I could imagine that you and your baby would get very distressed if she does wake expecting a feed.

This site has some info that might help: https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-surgery/
Nice link, :thumbup:

I don't understand why a breastfed baby would need to be starved. Is she eating solids? If so, i'd not give solids and just breastfeed. (and get a second opinion with a doctor who is well educated on breastfeeding and breastmilk). Not all doctors are - believe it or not.

Kelly mum says four hours in one part and then on the table it says six. I'm obviously not going to risk my dd life by feeding her if I'm told not too I'm just unsure how to distract her from 2am until they operate. Its going to be a terrible day for us all

It is awful no matter what to have to fast for pre op.Dd has had 5 surgeries now. The most recent time she was fasting for 13 hours. They do adviseitfor the best reasons and it can be so dangerous if ubreakthe fast. If the hospital had an inkling you did it they will cancel the surgery as its so serious even water is fasted for several hours beforehand so it doesn't matter how easily digested B?m is its still too dangerous. I know you've said you won't break the fast but for the others suggesting milk will be OK I just wanted to point out that's its not.

As far as how to get through it we always get a few new things she has never seen before if books and toys to play with. They don't have to be new borrow a few from friends as long as your baby hssbt seen them before. Be prepared to sing and dance and be silly even if your baby is distressed because how u behave will influence baby a lot. We find if we keep her really busy it helps. None of the other patients round you will be eating either so that helps and they try to take babies first if they can usually so hopefully u won't wait to long but honestly you just need to ride it out as best you can. Our 13 hour wait last time actually wasn't too bad and DD was only 13 months then.

My LO had to have an op at around 10 weeks old, and although he was on a drip that was feeding him so slightly different, I couldn't feed him anything orally and was told the drip wouldn't make him feel 'full' although he would be getting what he needed. The nurses suggested using a dummy. My LO has NEVER taken a dummy, he just spits them out, but when he was crying for a feed, a dummy actually did help calm him down as a lot of them wanting to feed isn't just hunger but for comfort also, he hasn't used a dummy since then either, so maybe something to try?

I also had to have him fast before an abdominal scan when he was a little older which was slightly harder, all I can suggest if the dummy doesn't work is lots of cuddles, lots of walking around with her and trying to take her mind off of it as best you can (although I know this is much easier said than done!). If DD is really screaming by the time you get to hospital, they might even make sure you're first or something if there are no emergencies. For the scan, my LO was very upset after around 6 hours, so the nurses rang up to see if I could have the next available slot or he could at least have some water, so at least the nurses were sympathetic and we then in within ten minutes, so don't be afraid to fuss if she's inconsolable.

Good luck for the operation :flower:

Thanks for the advise and reassurance ladies x I will try the tips on new books and toys definitely. As for the dummy, I'm not sure it will work due to her nose/breathing issue hence the op. She always spits them out because she can't breath very easily. Fx they see us early in the morning and don't make us wait too long once we arrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->