Statistics Anyone?

Jolinar

Mummy to Nic
Reaction score
We're starting work on number 2 this month and I can't help but wonder about the statistics bandied about with regards to declining fertility and age. I mean it's pretty grim on paper isn't it?

However I look around me on here and IRL and I see LOADS of older mums and bumps wandering around. They tell us that more and more women give birth later in life and it makes me wonder how and when they arrived at the figures. I'm wondering if these stats are based on old data where women were pretty much done having families by the time they were 30 and they weren't bothered about the oldies lol.

Anyway does anyone think it would be a good idea to make a list of our ages and time taken to conceive? It's got to be more inspiring than a bunch of dusty old stats now hasn't it? :)

I agree - I was 36 and it took 2 months to conceive. We weren't even dtd numerous times around the time of ovulation - hubby thinks it's all down to his super 'boys' - bless! I'll probably be 38 or 39 if we decide to have a second baby - hope it's as easy second time round.

That stats can be pretty depressing really... even for those younger TTC-ers!!! lol. A younger couple may only have about 20% chance each cycle... crazy huh?!

There are just SO many factors to consider... and I believe age is just ONE of many. I do know my age is playing a role (as I'm 37) and my FSH levels are a bit high. So that combined with my hubbies SA results (after 2 VR's), our odds aren't as good... BUT... odds smodds!!!!

Lots of woman my age are able to conceive with no issues... so really, odds or stats only mean so much from a doctor!!!! I think it would be nice to see some stats from women on this forum for sure!

Best of luck to all you lovely ladies!!!

I think these stats do us no good whatsoever - personally I went into ttc thinking it was going to take ages (which it now is!) because I'm 36 and, according to the internet and press, I'm pretty much barren because I'm over the 'magic' age of 35 :growlmad:

I am absolutely convinced it is taking us so long because of my age. And I will be asking our doc just how much of an influence he thinks age is when we see him next Monday.

But the other side of the coin is that my best friend, who now lives in New Zealand, is a year older than me and conceived her first on the first month trying at age 35 :shrug: I know she is trying for her 2nd now and am just waiting for the call that tells me she is pregnant again as I just now she will find it easy again. Why can't I get that positive attitude about my own body?? x

Hi Ladies, I'm 36 and have been TTC #1 for 9 months. Reading all the age statistics frustrates me. I'm very healthy and always have been. We've done 2 IUI's that have failed. The one thing I did notice was DH's sperm count was lower than a lot of the other DH counts I saw on here for IUI. DH smoked, drank alcohol and a lot of coffee. They put me on clomid even though I ovulate on my own and the pills made me crazy. I finally conviced DH that his lifestyle habits were probably interfering with this sperm count. I was frustrated with him because he is younger than me and I just don't have the time to waste if he chooses to drink and smoke rather than taking seriously that we want to conceive a baby. I hate feeling like I'm watching the sand pass through the hourglass. He's finally changed his habit so we'll see if that helps us conceive any time soon. I'm be 37 in April I'm hoping and praying I get a BFP before then.

I have a coworker whose wife had her first child at age 40. I keep thinking about her and that gives me hope. I wish all you ladies the best of luck because I know how you feel. I hate the stigma of age and that people think I should've had a child by now. It just isn't that simple even though I wish it was.

it took me 6 months ttc baby no.10 and im currently ttc no. 11 at 37 so i hope it wont take too long this time.xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->