Stem Cells

greeneyes098

Reaction score
Hello Ladies

just wondering if any of you have/will donate(d) stem cells or had your stem cells saved for medical reasons ?
My mother in-law has cancer and I would love to be able to give her our stem cells from the cord but I'm not 100% who to speak to
The midwife wasn't too sure either ...

Any help/opinions will be much appreciated

xxZxx

No experience but want to keep an eye on this thread as this is something I'm v interested in doing x x

We are saving ours... I just contacted my OB unit and told them so they can make sure someone comes from the lab to collect my cord blood at the appropriate time. They were very informative.

Maybe you could try to speak with your MIL's oncologist. He/she may be able to help since you are saving them specifically for your MIL.

An a scientist who used to do 'Stem-cell' research (for 5 years)....

... I'm not doing any of that.... The most I'll be doing is donating the cord blood to the Anthony Nolan Trust (if they'll take it) - for research purposes etc.

Be very wary of such companies. The most honest thing I can say is that we don't know enough to effectively use this material. No we don't. I honestly don't care what your OB's or midwives are saying. At work, we used to read the advertisements and generally take the mickey out of them as most of them were pure BS. Also the storage facilities may not be optimal and this stuff needs to be treated correctly.

Also - you don't know if your babies phenotype will be a match for your MIL. It's a lovely and noble sentiment, but before you decide (and pay through the nose!!!!!) please consult a genetic counselor about this.

I'm sorry to put a dampener on this lovely idea - but the reality is a lot more stark and bleak then those glossy pamphlets let on. That is why we are constantly asking money for research.... it's a long and windy road to 'cures'.

I wish you guys well

we where asked by some one at the hospital if we were interested in donating the cord blood and if there was not enough cord blood they would send it to stem cell research i would say talk to your local hospial

If our baby is born between 9 and 5 Mon-Fri then someone will come and collect the umbilical cord, where we are there is a research unit based at the hospital. y other time and it will go to the vitamin D research group.
Speak to your hospital and they'll tell you what's on offer there.

It's pretty available in the US but I can't tell you the first thing about the UK. I'm sure your Dr/midwife can give you more information for your particular area. I'm donating mine (I think it's a waste of money to privately store but that's for another thread ) and just had to fill out a bunch of paperwork that is in my hospital bag for when we deliver.

I think.... theres only a select few hospitals that do it in the UK, I googled it as it was something I was interested in doing but my hoapital doesn't do it.... Try having a google hun xx

It's mainly private practice in the UK. You will need to pay for the procedure and pay storage yearly. Costs run in the thousands.

Thanks for all the responses, I think I'll make a few calls before I totally disregard the idea.
I am already part of a Vitamin D research thingy - and they need cord blood so I suppose it will depend on how much they require.

Definitely made me have a think - I'll re-visit the subject on here if I get any news and keep you posted

cheers ladies

Z xx

In the uk leicester royal infirmary collect cord blood cor research and obv stem cella from etc, they do ask for donations also. As a leader in medical research leicester is one place i trust if I can donate xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->