Sterilisation during labour

MamaDo

2 Boys and 1 Girl
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right area - I was wondering if any of you had the sterilisation procedure done during your caesarean or if you know much about it??

I'm planning on researching it but would like to hear "real" experiences if anyone knows of any?

In particular did it add much time onto the CS and was recovery different because of it?

hiya my sister was sterilized while having her c-section she said it didnt make her recovery longer , i dont think it bothered her at all she has never mentioned any bad from it. She did have to fight for it a bit though even though she was told not to have any more babys as her body wouldnt be able to cope , good luck with what ever you choose to do x

Thanks for responding good to hear how someone has felt having had one !

There is 1 woman on here who had it done during her CS and regretted it afterwards. Not for the recovery or anything but she wished she'd waited until baby was older and she really knew how she felt. I don't know her username but maybe she will come on her and speak to you xx

Thank you.......and I really hope she does!

I remember when I was having my first child (emergency CS) that a lovely lady on my ward on her third baby, had had it done. I remember thinking what a horribly final decision to make but she was very obviously 100% with it.

Personally I don't even know if Im 50% there :shrug:. I think it was the shock of finding out I was expecting again so soon - my last child was born in Jan and Im due again in Mar 2012 (or before really - awaiting on CS date) that had me thinking of it .....plus my consultant was pushing it when I mentioned it to him.

Since then I suppose I've gotten past the shock somewhat and Im happier about it all. Therefore my thoughts have changed a bit towards it .......for example Im pondering that we've been told we're having another boy and since I have 3 sisters myself and we are all close......I kind of think in the future we might try again and hopefully provide our little girl with one (I've debated the ins and outs of this with myself so I know that might not even be the outcome & therefore perhaps not a sensible thing to base a decision on)

Just trying to get a real feel for what the reality of having the procedure may be I suppose

Thank you.......and I really hope she does!

I remember when I was having my first child (emergency CS) that a lovely lady on my ward on her third baby, had had it done. I remember thinking what a horribly final decision to make but she was very obviously 100% with it.

Personally I don't even know if Im 50% there :shrug:. I think it was the shock of finding out I was expecting again so soon - my last child was born in Jan and Im due again in Mar 2012 (or before really - awaiting on CS date) that had me thinking of it .....plus my consultant was pushing it when I mentioned it to him.

Since then I suppose I've gotten past the shock somewhat and Im happier about it all. Therefore my thoughts have changed a bit towards it .......for example Im pondering that we've been told we're having another boy and since I have 3 sisters myself and we are all close......I kind of think in the future we might try again and hopefully provide our little girl with one (I've debated the ins and outs of this with myself so I know that might not even be the outcome & therefore perhaps not a sensible thing to base a decision on)

Just trying to get a real feel for what the reality of having the procedure may be I suppose

I'm sure you will make the right decision hun.

To me it sounds like you aren't 100% sure so maybe you would like to put it off a few years. I don't think its a decision that can be made until you are 100% sure your family is complete.

Have you looked at getting a Mirena or Copper coil fitted soon after birth? That will give you another 5 years to decide and are about as effective as sterilisation anyway xx

I know its not really the same, but I had an ovarian cyst, ovary and tube removed during my c section, it defo added a fair bit of time onto the procedure, although I had a general so didnt know much about it, but it wasn't much fun for OH who was having kittens waiting for me to come out, but in terms of recovery i don't think I struggled any more than any other lady who'd had a section

I asked to have it done after I had my DD(it was a VB not a CS though) but got point blank refused because of my age.Because DD was a suprise as I was on the pill I didn't want to risk another surprise when she was 6 months old.

From my understandings the NHS won't consider it till you are over 35(Ive got 10 years to wait)

But Im kinda glad it didn't go ahead for 2 reasons first being that I would love to be a surrogate one day.My partners not 100% on board yet but Im sure he'll come round to it. And the second reason is that we have recently decided we would like a 3rd child.It won't be for another 4-5 years,probably after we get married.

If you truely don't wan't more kids and if your HC provider is onboard Ive heard its no different than recovering from a normal CS(friend of the family had it done after her 2nd as she has CF)

I know its not really the same, but I had an ovarian cyst, ovary and tube removed during my c section, it defo added a fair bit of time onto the procedure, although I had a general so didnt know much about it, but it wasn't much fun for OH who was having kittens waiting for me to come out, but in terms of recovery i don't think I struggled any more than any other lady who'd had a section

Thank you ...

I think I dont like the idea of elongating the procedure as much as I dont like the idea of a longer /harder recovery.

My OH is considering getting himself sterilised so I think we might go that route instead. I believe that can be reversed easily enough if wanted. For various reasons I dont like the other forms of contraception.

From my understandings the NHS won't consider it till you are over 35(Ive got 10 years to wait)

Thanks for that...just as an fyi to the above I'm 32 now, but this will be my third CS so maybe thats why the consultant was very pro it, he started my exam with a lecture on the dangers of any further CS's (probably as my last was just done in Jan past) so when I said I wanted to enquire about sterilisation he jumped all over it and said yes straight away.

I know what you mean though Im not 100% on it so I think we'll look more into my partner getting sterilised instead... we've been told this is easier to be reversed if wanted...again more research needed though

my sister was 26 but it was her 4th child and they knew it was there last and didnt want to risk any more as 2 of them were surprises , by the sounds of it your not sure so i would wait its a huge decision maybe your OH could think about being sterilized as its easier to reverse? x

The NHS did it for a friend, but it was her 6th baby. She's in her mid 20s.

Im a student midwife and have seen a few women being sterilised following their sections. It doesn't take very long at all and the recovery time is no different i'm led to believe. I would say the ones i have seen have added maybe 15 mins on to the surgery.

The NHS will sterlise for you if it's your third section and you are under 35, also if you have 3 or more children or over 35. I wanted to be sterilised at 27 and with only 2 children they wont do it so i have the implant instead x

My midwife mentioned to me that the consultant may ask me at my appointment so I was prepared. I am pretty sure I am done after this baby, getting too old (for me) and financially any more would be a struggle. The sensible side of me tells me that it would be a good idea just to do it and get it out of the way, you know they're already in there etc. My friend just recently had her third and she had it done and was fine. She said it did add a little time to the surgery but her recovery was good.

I pondered more about it and decided I wasn't ready. What if something happened to this baby, I just didn't think I could go through with it. After four visits with the consultant, he hasn't once asked me which I thought was kinda funny after all the soul searching I had done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->