Sterilising

xnewxmummyx

Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle
Reaction score
Hi ladies

probably a daft question but how do you sterilise your babys utensils? I have microwave steriliser so the bowls wont fit lol..

X

Do you mean now, or...? I would usually say don't bother sterilising bowls and spoons but if you're weaning now it's probably advisable. Smaller bowls? Use Avent via pots maybe, they would easily go into our microwave steriliser, but not sure which one you have though.

Yes, now. Well when she is 16weeks and I am doing it following advise from my HV.

I have TT microwave steriliser and obviously she is still only 4mths old so need to sterilise utensils.

X

Yeah, I'd go for feeding from small pots then. Cheaper than buying a bigger steriliser, and you'll only need to sterilise food equipment for 2 months anyway.

We have a big steraliser which our bowls fit in, but maybe you could buy some of the steralising fluid/tablets and do it that way?

I dont sterilise feeding utensils, I do put them through the dishwasher though!

If they dont fit, could I rinse/put in pan of boiling hot water?

xx

Hey chick, if you have a big tub with a lid you can cold water sterilise :flower:

I'd say use small pots too, we use the little tommy tippee ones. At that age LO won't be eating loads so no point using larger bowls

We haven't been sterilising Fran's bowls or spoons. I was told on the weaning course I went on that there isn't any need to. I've just been washing them thoroughly in hot soapy water xx

We haven't been sterilising Fran's bowls or spoons. I was told on the weaning course I went on that there isn't any need to. I've just been washing them thoroughly in hot soapy water xx

Change of subject - hope you don't mind xnewmummyx but bigbetty, what did you learn on the weaning course?! Any good info/hints or tips you would share? :)

Change of subject - hope you don't mind xnewmummyx but bigbetty, what did you learn on the weaning course?! Any good info/hints or tips you would share? :)

It was a 3 week course and just covered the basics.

The first lesson was about what the ideal first foods are and what you should and shouldn't give at certain ages. They had an electric steamer there and they did little samples of purees for us to try. They gave us handouts with a a guide to the stages of weaning and suggestions of what sorts of food to give and how many feeds a day as well as how long you can store food in a freezer. There was also a sheet that tells you how a childs feeding skills develop.

The second lesson was about the introduction of meat, fish and finger foods. It also covered foods to be avoided (e.g. honey before 1yr old) and what foods offer the best sources of iron. They had some products on the table which are designed for babies that had a low salt content - there were pouches of gravy and even baby stock cubes which I had never heard of before!

I couldn't make the third lesson but I believe it was about drinks and introducing a cup.

If anyone wants copies of the handouts I don't mind photocopying them and popping them in the post xx

Wow, that sounds like such a great idea!! It sounds like it was really useful, I've not heard of weaning courses before. :flower:

Wow, that sounds like such a great idea!! It sounds like it was really useful, I've not heard of weaning courses before. :flower:

It was at our local surestart centre. I've heard some of the other ladies mention they have been to one at theirs too.

It was really good. Fran was the only baby there who hadn't started on solids - the other ladies there had all started weaning but just wanted some reassurance. It was the nurse who works with my hv who called to tell me about it. At first I thought it might be too early to go but the next one might have been too late so I decided to go and get some advice to prepare us.

I'm really glad I did because it has given me a bit more confidence now we have started Fran on solids.

Use the tommee tippee pots/lids and spoons..

With the pots i steralise and put the lids on if im not using it straight away or if i need the sterliser again etc..
Then the spoons i pour boiling kettle water over them..

If you have a wilkinsons near you the pots are £2 for 3.. And they do them in pink, blue or yellow..
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->