Steriods what do you think?

Mumof42009

Mum Of 4 Preemie's
Reaction score
I was due to have steriods yesterday but doctor refused to sign for them to be given to me as he said i didnt need them this early :hissy:, my consultant who i seen previously wanted me to have them at 25 weeks due to 3 pre-term deliverys and they think this babys going to come early due to placenta previa, sch bleed. Im now worrying more than ever as i know if i do go into pre-term labour or i have a placenta abruption the steriods take 48 hours to work properly. Im so fed up with 1 consultant saying one thing and another saying something else. :hissy:

Get a second opinion hun. I think tbh, we're just numbers to hospitals sometimes. And they forget about everything we've been through or are going through.

:hugs: Hope you manage to get them hun

xxx

Thanks amy :hugs: just had enough of them and seriously considering going elsewhere for my care im going to see what my gp says and advises, ive been reading up and says steriods at this time is when its best to give them.

I got them this time at 26 weeks, doc didnt want to give them before this as apparently they can cause other bad side effects to the baby even though lung function would be improved, sorry cant remember exactly what the effects are but I think something to do with the brain:hugs:

They're not usually given as a "just in case measure" coz of other side effects. I've had this same argument before too but if you had steroids today and tomorrow they won't make any difference if baby is delivered in say 6wks as they're only effective when given a short time before delivery and the other side effects and the cost make them deemed unsuitable unless necessary.

Steroid Injection for Fetal Lung Development

Injections of corticosteroids for fetal lung development has been praised as one of the best advances in fetal medicine in the 90s. Since 1994 the National Institutes for Health and other professional organizations have encouraged their use in promoting the development of fetal lung development in moms who were at risk for preterm labor or birth.

Betamethasone and dexamethasone are the two most commonly used steroids. The average protocol was to give to intramuscular injections (IM) 24 hours apart. Some practitioners also choose to continually repeat the dosages every week until the birth. The injections had to be given 24-48 hours prior to the birth for maximum effect. They were also best used between weeks 24 and 34 gestation.

The use of the steroids provided benefits for the lung development in the premature infants to reduce the risk of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) as well as to reduce the risk of intracranial hemorrhaging and some other potential benefits.

However, recent studies say that the benefits of multiple doses is questionable, particularly in light of potential risks. Citing the "limited quality" of the studies of multiple doses and the potential disadvantages the National Institute of Health issued a statement of August 18th that a single dose was sufficient in achieving the benefits desired.

Potential down sides to multiple doses can include: psychomotor delays, behavioral problems and the fact that the effects on neonatal mortality aren't known between the single and multiple dose courses. In separate findings by an Israeli study it was also noted that there is an increase in maternal infection with the use of steroids, so limiting doses may help with this side effect as well.

I hope everything works out for you.:hugs:

Thanks for that i read that yesterday its just done my head in that they cant make there minds up about my care, im going through enough stress without them stressing me any futher cause they cant stick to an action plan.

I know what you mean babe:hugs: I've always gone into early labour with no explanation, starting with contractions, no pre-eclampsia, no incompetent cervix etc so therefore nor figging help or reassurance.

Pm me if you want to have a moan or compare experience, just have someone to support you etc :hug:

Hey Hun,

I think you should push for some good reasons as to why not! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you that you get them. :hug::hug::hug::hug:

I'd push for them hun, I had them with my daughter the day after I was 24 weeks. My consultant was excellant though and done everything he could to get me further last time and 35+5 was where I got to :) I also got the jabs again at 32 weeks as it looked like I was going into labour again but all settled and Katie was born with no probs at all and a 10/10 apgar score :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->