Steroid shot for baby's lungs at 38 weeks?! Opinion needed

There is a dispute with my due date so according to the hospital records I will be 38 weeks when I have my section even though I will really be 39 weeks and my consultant had insisted on steroids and said any c section before 39 weeks that is planned steroids is a condition at our hospital x

Ohhh very interesting. I didn't know that. I wondered if it ha something to do with csection. My son was a 37 weeker but I had him naturally, and they didn't even mention anything about a steroid shot. Hmmm. Good to know thank you. Will be talking to both the dr and midwife.

I have heard & read before that when a baby is born naturally their lungs get squeezed on the way out which helps them to clear fluid etc out and to breathe when born, however, during a c section they don't get squeezed the same way so c section babies are more likely to have breathing difficulties than those born naturally, maybe this is why the steroid injections are eyeing recommended?

Edited to add, I've just had a quick googled and it seems in the uk (I know you're not here!) it is standard procedure to give steroids for any planned section before 39 weeks as there is an increased risk of respiratory distress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->