Still chance of an ectopic

Pepper100

Reaction score
I have had 2 m/c's before but both of them were with a little spotting, a scan which showed a sac which was not growing as it should followed by a d&c.

I got a positive pg test on 3rd Feb but started bleeding on 14th Feb (just over 5 weeks pg). The next day it was very heavy and I went to the hospital on 16th Feb. They saw nothing on the scan. They took my beta level and was told it was 107 which was quite low. Then on 19th Feb I went for another beta level test and had to wait around for them to get the results as she was worried about it being ectopic especially as I was getting a small bit of pain in my lower abdomen. I was told they were now 29 so all is doing as it should. I had a proper period for 7 days and now am just getting brown discharge so by tomorrow should be all done.

Problem is that I am really scared that they have missed something. I have some lower back pain but it feels a bit like I am constipated. I don't feel like I am going properly (sorry tmi) so it might be that. I also have sore muscles in my arm. DH thinks I have just exerted myself doing some heavyish lifting. I haven't really got any lower abdominal pain now.

So I suppose my question is, can my bleeding have stopped nearly, my levels be at 29 with no abdominal pain and still have any chance of an ectopic. Really don't want to call the hospital and look really stupid.

I would say no. with my first mc i had a sac but no bean. they said that may be eptopic after a wk my hcg level went up but not the normal amount. eptopic levels go up they just dont double every 48 so i was told and its shoulder pain with eptopic rather than arms. i dont think u have anything to worry about x

I agree with Niamh22~ I think you are okay. I can 100% understand the concern- I even wondered that for a half of a second when I saw I was still getting such a positive BFP... but after reading more about it ~ I am sure that isn't the case for me. Besides- your numbers would still be going up if they had for some reason missed that. I hope you start feeling better soon hun! :hugs:

:hugs: Sorry for your loss.
If they weren't able to see anything on the ultrasound, they definitely should've checked for an ectopic anyways. Did they say anything about that during the scan, or was it only the nurse taking your blood a week later?
Just to ease your mind you could call to ask if they looked for an ectopic on the scan. No question is stupid when it comes to your health.
But, it doesn't sound like an ectopic to me - the pain and bleeding would be increasing, right? :shrug:
I hope you get well soon and best of luck TTC again.

Apparently the scan that they used can't actually look for ectopics :shrug:

They said that the fact that they couldn't see anything in the uterus and the hcg level falling that it points to an early m/c. She said if I had any severe pain to call the number they gave me. I have had a couple of twinges near where (I think) the baby making things are but they have been on both sides and as I say, I have been having a few problems with my bowels.

Today the back pain feels different. It feels as if the muscles are weak so sometimes when I bend over or twist it twinges.

All I want to do is get back to ttc. I feel miserable. :cry:

Hi there, just wanted to advise on the symptoms i had with my ectopic, to try and put your mind at rest, i had light bleeding at 6 weeks, scan confirmed pregnancy was no longer in uterus, went back for follow up check 1 week later and HCG levels had risen, another scan, nothing in uterus, but they couldn't see pregnancy elsewhere, sent home and asked to return for bloods in 48 hours, the bleeding i had was weird, dark purple, like prune juice and i had really bad diahorea (sp) within 3 days i was admitted to hosptial as my HCG had rised from 580 - 1600, still nothing on daily scans, i wasn't in any pain what so ever. treated with 2 doses of methotrexate and kept in hospital for over 8 days, my HCG levels were over 10,000 before they started to decline, it took 6 weeks for them to return to below 5. once the pregnancy finally ended the pain kicked in, but i never passed anything significagant, they reckon the baby was absorbed back into my body, weird!

i would imagine you are ok, but you are right to be careful, print out some of the symptoms on the ectopic pregnancy trust website and just make sure you are not getting too many of them, if you are really concerned, see your GP and ask for a final follow up HCG draw.

Sorry for your loss, hope you are on the road to recovery soon x

i have also had an ectopic and agree with tweedy the hcg does still rise with ectopic just not as much as a viable pregnancy, i did experience the pain tho (my tube had started 2 rupture) and believe me it is unbearable. It is right that they cant see if its ectopic on the scans x sorry 4 ur losses x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->