Stomach/Ab exercises

Kirstin

Reaction score
I was just wondering whether any of these are safe in pregnancy? Or a complete no-no?

I want to try and improve them as I have just read about the benefits during and after pregnancy but have no idea what I can and cant do:dohh:

Hey Kirstin... I googled it (google is my best friend :rofl:) and this came up from the BabyCenter.com ....

*Jeanne-Marie Guise, associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology, Oregon Health Services Center, Portland
Sit-ups and crunches are fine in your first trimester. But by your second trimester, you'll need to avoid lying on your back because as your uterus grows, its weight can compress the blood vessels leading to your heart, potentially depriving your developing baby of oxygen. Of course, by that time in your pregnancy, you'll most likely find that sit-ups are almost impossible to do anyway.*

I guess if you feel any pain tho or have a high risk pregnancy then situps are out of the question!!

Hope that helps :)

*ETA - Pilates balls help too btw! I've been told this a few times. You can then find the position that is most comfortable for you rather than being flat out on the floor*

as someone said above, they're fine in first trimester but definately not fine from about 4 months onwards. you should not only avoid laying on your back after 4 months, but also shouldn't do any movements which involve a form of stomach crunching... i always support myself now when getting up rather than relying on stomach muscles and roll out of bed sideways rather than sitting up using stomach

wow interesting about not lying on your back, i didnt know that. I sleep on my side, so...at least it wont be so bad. I was always told not to do any excercises that might jeopardise your baby..im laying off the crunches and just doing lots of walking...

wow interesting about not lying on your back, i didnt know that. I sleep on my side, so...at least it wont be so bad. I was always told not to do any excercises that might jeopardise your baby..im laying off the crunches and just doing lots of walking...

Just remember when you start to get bigger...no sleeping on your right side, left side only! Sleeping on your right causes internal organ to be compressed and reduces blood flow to the baby...just FYI, not trying to be a know-it-all!

OMG I'm a right wriggler in my sleep too!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->