Stopping progesterone tonight... so scared.

Praying4BB

Reaction score
I've been on 200mg progesterone suppositories since 4 DPO and I believe it made all the difference in finally getting my BFP. Under the advice of both my RE and OB, I am stopping them tonight at 10 weeks. I definitely trust them both, but I can't help but be nervous. Has anyone else gone off progesterone supplements this early and can give me some reassurance?

Hey, I was on a high dose of progesterone from 4 weeks pregnant, 200mg three times a day, due to my unexplained recurrent early miscarriages.
I was on them until I was 12 weeks. I can remember how terrified I was to stop taking them as i firmly believed they were the key to keeping me pregnant. I was convinced that when I stopped taking them something awful would happen... Anyway, I stopped them and felt such relief when had my routine 12 week scan and all was well.
I understand how u r feeling, try to relax and remember that your doctors no what they are doing.
Wishing u all the best :)
Sorry I can't offer any advice to make u feel any better xx

Thanks Sally, it does make me feel better! I feel like most ladies are on them until 12 weeks so that's why I'm not sure why they stopped me at 10. I did have some tan/light brown spotting tonight, so of course I panicked. If it doesn't clear up by the morning, I'm going back to the OB.

They actually want me to stop at ten weeks but because I had some meds left they said I could use them up. The placenta will have taken over by now that why the meds are no longer needed.
I have heard other women experience brown spotting after stopping progesterone too and everything turned out fine. If I were u I would just ring my doctor for peace of mind :) xx

I was on the progesterone pessaries 200mg twice a day from embryo transfer (approx 3 weeks pregnant) until just over 5 weeks and then told to stop taking them. I was very stressed as I didn't want to lose our baby.

The clinic monitored my progesterone levels before and afterwards and my body was making it's own progesterone. I had further tests afterwards and they were fine. I'm nearly 10 weeks now and all has been ok. See,the heart beat on scan at 7 weeks 3 days and baby has been fine inside.

Trust the docs (as hard as it is!) as they should know what's best for your body. Good luck x

I don't think I could be able to stop them after everything we've been through :/ I'm taking them for unexplained recurrent losses. Three first trimester, three second trimester. I start the injections at 16 weeks. I'll be thinking about you!

My doctor wants me to stop taking my progesterone at 10 weeks, and I'm terrified! I agree with what Sally said... I think that progesterone supplementation was a key factor in preventing me from losing this baby.

I plan to taper off slowly when I do stop (even if they say it's OK to stop cold turkey, I'm going to do it gradually). But I will ask my OB and see if she allows me to continue until 12 weeks. I wonder if there is any risk in waiting too long to stop taking it? (maybe if I keep taking it and don't allow the placenta progesterone to take over, the placenta won't ever produce enough on its own? or maybe there is risk with progesterone levels getting too high?)

I stopped mine at 10 weeks as well and was nervous as hell about it. I think it is natural to be afraid, not knowing what is naturally going on inside our bodies at that level.

Thanks ladies! The spotting has stopped for now (thank you God!) and I've actually felt a bit better since I went off on Saturday... still unbelievably tired and a little nauseous, but my boobs don't feel so painfully sore anymore and I'm not as bloated. I'm definitely trying to focus on the positive! :thumbup:

My RE told me to stop at 8 weeks. It didn't matter if I stopped completely or weaned off but she said it does nothing for you after 8 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->