Strep B homebirthers!

Mrsmitch80

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I found out that I was strep b positive at my booking in appointment at 8 weeks and was devastated. It was found in urine but in such low levels that I wasn't given and treatment for the UTI, I've done some reading and it appears that this usually happens when it's not been a midstream test and is contaminated with bacteria from the outside of the vagina.

The letter I received said that I would only be able to deliver on the labour ward and will have antibiotics during labour. This is something I really don't want, it's not just a feeling it's an absolute fear. My first daughter came 2 weeks early, she was stressed in labour, they repeatedly attempted to break my waters without success, I was rushed to theatre for a section, couldn't sit up for a spinal as I needed to push but was told I wasn't ready. Luckily my husband was forceful and made them examine me at which point they realised I was ready and I had my daughter naturally in theatre. It was terrifying, I wasn't listened to at all and was adamant that I would never have another child.

Luckily I spoke to a lovely consultant at another hospital who said that even though I was high risk as my first daughter was poorly I could have a water birth in the midwifery centre , so I had another baby and had an amazing birth experience hence the reason I'm having another!!

Since my strep b diagnosis I've been worrying about the birth, the hospital has told me that I have no choice, no water birth and the labour ward only. I have my own midwife who fully supports a home birth, she plans to do the gbs specific test at 36 weeks and if that's clear I will be having a home birth but I have a big decision to make if it's still positive.

I'm looking for experiences please, my midwife has told me that if I'm positive and have a home birth she will stay longer afterwards and teach me how to do obs, she will also visit every day for the first week and obviously if the baby appears unwell in any way I will get her to the hospital and tell them about strep b. I'm so torn and desperate for my swab results :(

If your midwife supports you then I dont see why you should go to hospital? She would not put you and the baby in danger.

I had ds at home and was gbs+. My midwife had antibiotics with her if my labour was long enough to allow it but I had home in 1.5 hours. She prefers just to watch baby afterwards. We ended up going to the hospital 2 hours after he was born. He had a bend inside his nostril that was trapping mucous. Once we got there the pediatrician decided to take swabs and put him on antibiotics for 48 hours. We were told the first sign of baby contracting gbs is respitory distress. Although it was clearly from mucous they were being safe. I'd say if your midwife supports you, you should be fine. Don't let them break your water because that is what protects baby. I believe there are also a few things you can do to get rid of gbs. I'm going to be talking to midwife about it at my first appointment.

I was GBS positive with my last birth. I was able to get a prescription for IV antibiotics and had them ready for when I went into labour at home. Is that not an option for you? I went on to have a lovely home birth with no complications (except DD being admitted for phototherapy at 5 days old... grrr).

I had strep b with my son and have been told I need a swab at 36 week to check if I still have it as it comes and goes. Could you get another swab done at 36 weeks?

I had strep b with my son, refused antibiotics and had a home birth - monitored him at home and he was absolutely fine! The midwives i had stayed a little longer to show me what to look out for and to monitor him straight after birth. They visited more frequently too.

After testing positive the Midwives and consultants were adamant i had no choice but to have a hospital birth with antibiotics and then a 3 day hospital stay for monitoring. I tested positive at 30 weeks. I did my research and felt confident with my findings and my decision. And i will be home birthing again this time. Please don't feel pressured or forced into something you don't want. Do you research, get your results etc and then make an informed decision that YOU are comfortable with. Hope that helps xx

Thank you ladies :) I got my results and I'm still positive :( I was devastated at first but my midwife is still supportive of a home birth. I'm torn, if I go to hospital and have the antibiotics then I reduce the strep b risk but hospital itself poses risks of needing intervention not to mention the other bugs, if I stay at home if baby does become poorly I will never forgive myself.

I've spoken to the hospital who said I can go on the MLU and should be able to use the pool so that could be a good compromise. It's just that I know I can birth a baby fine, I don't feel as though I should need to go to hospital for it. I just can't make my mind up!!!!

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this one. GBS comes & goes, in the uk we don't have regular testing for it like they do in the us so many women have no idea they're positive. I tested positive during a urine check and needed antibiotics for the infection. I had a homebirth which was fully supported by my midwife. Good luck with whichever route you choose!

Hey, your story remind me of the headache battle i had last year.

I had positive from HVS at 14 weeks, although i never agreed to be checked for strep b. No one told me until i was 21 weeks.

I got all the same i cant do this, i cant do that. Your not able to use the pool, you need IV.

Well, i told them no. It was my birth and my choice. I would make an informed choice through my own research.

I would insert garlic almost every day; or when i looked like i was getting thrush back i had big issue with that. I decided not to retest as i read nhs tests were inaccurate if i wanted a better answer i'd need to pay £30 that result would last 5 weeks. I dont think nhs ones are like that, so if you dont go into labour until 41w it could be gone. Although i must say i didnt look into strep b in urine it was purely swabs.

SoM said i needed to see a consultant because i was going against medical advice - which i did she had no big concerns i explained my plan of action.

I will decline IV/hospital birth unless these situations happened ;
go into labour before 37w
if my waters break its been longer than 18hrs and no labour has started
if i get a high temp that could mean i have an infection.

Plus my theory was (but no one could give me a straight answer, apart from mw who did was there in delivery) giving birth in water eould help reduce risk of infection. Plus if baby is still in sac when head is born could also reduce the risk.

Come day i went into labour was no staff available sods law that really after the fight i had to get my home water birth.

I was not prepared to go it alone at home due to possible strep b. I had my baby on delivery ward at the hosp ( i wasnt allowed on mlu) i did get water birth even though i was told no earlier in pregnancy. My waters didnt go until baby was born, she came out amazing! No signs of infection at all. I was told i needed to stop in for 24hrs which i declined and said i wanted to be out that night so only stopped for 12hrs. Checking obs was easy as to be honest.

Sorry for long post, ill never get strep b test done again. Just follow those precautions and check on baby regardless in first weeks anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->