Strep b positive in first tri?

sil

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I just got a call from my obgyn that my urine test last week came back positive for strep b and they want me on a week of antibiotics. I thought strep b wasn't a problem or even tested for until much later in pregnancy? Is it safe to take antibiotics to treat it? Is it even necessary at this point? Is the strep b harmful? I thought it could only be a problem if passed to baby during birth.

Group b strep is screened for closer to delivery but this wasn't the screening test for it, it was a urine culture that came back positive so you have a UTI that just happens to be caused by group b strep. Totally possible! Take the antibiotic, you don't want it progressing!

I have strep b too! But mine was discovered during a swab I had about 3 years ago! I just got a letter saying I had it and to let my midwife know when I decided to have children! I was never offered treatment or anything..!

I told my midwife and she said I must just have it sat there not causing any bother and she said she wouldn't bother treating me at this point :-/ I'm not too sure what happens now, I guess I'll be tested later on maybe? She did say I'd probably need antibiotics during pregnancy though..

Group B strep can be normal skin bacteria and most often is asymptomatic. It's dangerous, even deadly, to newborns which is why they screen for it and treat later in pregnancy. If it was found during a routine swab they likely wouldn't treat at that time since you weren't pregnant. The OP had it in a urine culture which would be treated, male, female, pregnant or not since at that point it is causing symptoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->