• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stretch Marks

SoldierWife

Reaction score
Okay ladies so I'm just wondering when (or if) you guys had started using any kind of stretch mark preventative?

I started worrying about it this weekend since I realized I'm slowly but surely getting my bump. So I bought some and I've been slathering it on like crazy already. But am I doing it too soon?

They say to stay as soon as you find out to be on the safe side, but I honestly think if you're going to get them you're going to get them. Regardless what cream you use. I used bio oil every day in my last pregnancy and was still covered in them :( it's all to do with your skins elasticity. I hope you're one of the lucky ones!!

No harm in doing it from the start but most people will say - if you're going to get them you will, there's nothing you can do to prevent! I used stretchmark oil all through my first pregnancy and still got them really bad. But they are so faded now you can hardly see them - just in time for round two! haha.

I'm still using oil and cream this time though as I found them so itchy and would like to keep that to a minimum!

I'm not sure if there's any real research that shows they work. I'm sure the companies have done "tests" based on women's observations of their own bodies, but real evidence based research under controlled double blind conditions?? Probably not.

Still I think that starting soon around the end of the first trimester has a certain niceness to it. Its a little relaxation time, but its also a good way of bonding with baby, especially when baby starts kicking back.

I agree - there's something very soothing about rubbing your belly every night :)

I have really dry skin so I imagine there is nothing I can do to prevent marks, but it feels nice all the same and can only be good for my skin in general.

I've been using clarins body tonic oil and palmers cocoa butter - my skin is at least nice and soft :)

I also always heard that if you're going to get them, there int much you'll be able to do to prevent them. I think you can minimize them though. I used emu and Argan oils which are MUCH more effective than Shea, cocoa, etc. I also took high quality fish oils religiously which are known to help with skin elasticity and health. Could be genetics, but not a single stretch mark after two babies.

I've heard that scratching your skin during pregnancy is what causes stretch marks. So using regular lotion to offset the dry skin should work. I wouldn't spend a fortune on creams and oils. When you start getting bigger try not to scratch when it itches.

Never too soon, but from my experience on here no cream stops them if you are prone to them.
My doctor with my son told me that creams will not help, the best bet was excersise regularly, lots of water, and no scratching. I followed all of that and no stretch marks with my son and so far none with this baby.

I started using palmers last time and they started to appear so switched to bio oil and they kept appearing :haha: I didn't scratch either, I think I am just pre disposed to them so might save my money this time!

I get horrible stretch marks, so I was expecting pregnancy to leave me with a new set. I ended up with one tiny mark under my belly button that showed up right at the end. I think keeping the weight gain slow and steady (I only put on 14lbs) helped, because my skin didn't stretch quickly from a rapid gain. I also drank water non-stop to keep my skin hydrated. :)

I buy my products from natural.ca but you can usually find Argan and emu oils from natural health stores :)

According to my mother they run in the family haha!

But I've been using Palmers Tummy Butter. Its almost like a thick paste. It makes my tummy super soft after tho :) I've been trying to put it on like twice a day :) Once when I get out of the shower and then again before I go to bed.

We'll see if it helps lol

African Shea Butter is great. Super greasy, takes forever to dry and absorb, but it worked for me last time. My Mom has stretch marks but I didn't get them so maybe I was lucky or maybe it was the African Shea Butter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->