Strongly Thinking About Home Birth

Leopard

2yrOld;3rdTriBoy
Reaction score
Our hospital here doesn't have a maternity ward, and the hospital I would have to go to is 45minutes drive away.

Can someone please go over the pros and cons with me. The basic ones I can think of is if something goes wrong there is less assistance, you have to start doing everything yourself straight away.

What are the pros? Thanks girls!

There are many pros!

Firstly, you'll be labouring and giving birth in your own environment, which you can control completely. You'll be much more comfortable, you can use candles, aromatherapy, anything you fancy really because you'll have it all there for you.
Because you're in your own home, you can happily distract yourself more easily than in a hospital. You can have music, the TV on if you fancy it, the food in your fridge!
You're also more likely to have a smoother, easier birth simply because you'll be more relaxed. This means less likelihood of intervention, it'll be less likely that you'll need forceps, vontouse or an emergency c-section, for example.
You will have one or two midwives there who are focusing solely on YOU. They will not be running in and out, trying to take care of several women all at once.
If you fancy a waterbirth, you can hire or buy a pool and it will be all yours! No chance some other woman will have got in first.
Your baby will be born into your home, and afterwards you can all go up to bed together - your own bed, with your own shower/bath whenever you want it.

Statistics and studies have shown that home births are generally safer than hospital births. Please don't worry about the 'if something goes wrong' scenario - they will monitor you and your baby throughout and if needed they will transfer you to hospital. But this in itself is less likely to happen, because there is less chance of something going wrong.

I keep hitting barriers. I do not know how much it is going to cost as i am public health and here you have to be private health or pay for an independant :(

For more info, there is an awesome website, with tons of legit research and studies:

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

Check it out!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back