Struggling with Hynobirthing breathing techniques - please help!

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

I am now 35 weeks and have been 'trying' to practise hypnobirthing techniques since about 28 weeks, I have Marie Mongans book and accompanying CDs, and while I find Sleep breathing straight forward, I am really struggling with the most important breathing technique.....slow breathing.

I feel as though my lungs and abdomen simply dont have the space for me to breath in continuously for 20 seconds. The most I can manage is about 13 seconds,

Im planning a home water birth with no pain relief (possibly gas and air only if I feel I need it) but am now unsure whether I will be able to do it as I dont feel confident in my ability to get into a deep sense of relaxation and breathe through surges effectively.

Can anyone who has either used Hypnobirthing, or is planning to offer me any advice, or words of wisdom as I am now feeling very anxious that I wont have mastered the breathing for when I need it most, and will go into panic instead! :wacko:

Yes dont worry about not getting to the prescribed number. The main point of the slow breathing is long, deep, slow breaths. The problem with HBing is that it can be a bit prescriptive when actually you can't get it 'wrong'. If you don't want to count swap for visualising walking up a hill and back down the other side or something. X

Have you tried taking a few moments to get into a relaxed state first, isolate the diaphragm for breathing and pulling down on the diaphragm to allow the air in, release to let it out and so on. Concentrate on the diaphragm. It is less work than using the chest in an ‘in, out ‘ fashion.

thanks ladies,

MervsMum I think that may work better for me, as when counting I always end up trying to breathe in more than is actually comfortable in order to get to as high a number as possible, which then makes me feel a bit panicky if anything.

Alice - How do I concentrate on my diaphram? sorry if that is a stupid question, this is the first time ive really practised breathing techniques and I wouldnt know where to start even isolating my diaphram when breathing.

snap. i get to about 12 with the occasional 15 or 16 and ive been practising for ages. some days when i practice i end up coughing and spluttering all over the place as it feels so un natural for me. i was starting to get quite stressed about it.

i read a few posts on the hypnobirthing forum from hypnobirthing practitioners that basicly said just do ur best and dont worry about counting or how far u get too much. its mostly about making ur breaths long and equal. personally i dont know how u can ensure there equal if u dont count but not counting seems to work better for alot of people.

i try not to stress about it now and just do what i can and i seem to relax more which is the whole point.

i think aswell, for me at least, when i practice i do it continually for a good 3/4 mins but when u actually have contractions they only last about a min.

My practitioner (who will remain nameless) said the Mongan Method can be a bit too ridged and they are supposed to teach it exactly that way. I don't think everything works for everyone so it's good to have an alternative. Just remember that you can't get it wrong xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->