Struggling with the pain....

lyndsey3010

Mummy of two boys
Reaction score
I am reduced to tears now with every feed. When Coop latches on and starts sucking it is agonising but realistically only lasts about the first 20 seconds. Boobs are generally sore now milk is in but Lasinoh is definitely helping that.

I just wondered how long it took you girls to break through that pain barrier? I really want to keep bfing and I don't want to introduce a bottle just yet but the pain is really getting to me.

I know we are all different, but to have a rough time scale could be just enough to keep me going.

Thanks girls
XX

Keep going hun your doing fab. The pain thing just lasted a few days with me, I used cry as well, make sure he's really latching on properly and getting a full mouth full of nipple and areola. Lansinoh was a life saver too.
You may want to change positions from across the tummy to rugby balling and vice versa, I seemed to find that having the nipple the other way round on alternate feeds helped a bit too xx

Bless you sweetie :hugs: You are right in the thick of the toughest time. Mrs Shine said it - make sure he's got a good mouth full and is on well and it will pass. At this stage I'd say it's likely to be your nipples just toughening up a bit. Especially as it just lasts for the first 20 seconds - thats EXACTLY how it was for me. I'd had my latch double checked so it was just a case of tapping those feet for that 20 seconds and in quite a short time - a week or two at the very very worst case scenario - it was soooo easy.

This is the time when you are so tempted to top up. Topping will give you some relief - 20 seconds per feed to be precise! - but it will leave you with a different problem after. If you are really keen to exclusively BF then just keep reminding yourself how well you've done so far and that it wont be long - I promise. when you look back when you are celebrating reaching your personal goals, it will seem like a tiny amount of time and so worth it.

Come back and moan anytime - I'm always here to listen xxx

exactly as the others said hunny, it's a phase that does pass quickly for most women. You may find you have odd days where it comes back a little but no where near as bad. You are doin really well just stick with it, the pain does ease :hug:

Its awful isn't it, literally toe curling !!

I still find it hurts a bit to start with then just a little uncomfortable after unless he is in a random position then its flippin agony :cry:

Since Ive been expressing its been MUCH better and my oh gives Lucas a bottle of expressed milk around 11pm and again in the morning about 11am this has taken some of the pressure off me as I have been able to drop two feeds a day and express instead which I actually prefer doing.

I had mastitis to which made the pain worse although luckily I realised what the symptoms were and went to docs asap so it went within 48 hours.

I was really worried about giving Lucas a bottle incase he didn't want to breastfeed again but he is fine, we use the medela bottles and teat as they came with pump but we did try him with the tommee tippee one and although he drank from it, we kept ending up with milk everywhere, it seemed to come out quicker than he could drink it so we have stuck with the medela.

I had a couple of feeds around day five where I was in tears of agony. But it quickly passed. I think that was roughly when my milk came in and Jack was getting the hang of drawing it down, my nipples took a while to toughen up as we used nipple shields in the beginning. It still pinches for the first 20-30 seconds but it's no where near as painful as those early days. Just push through it hun, it's over so fast and then just gets easier every day!

Girls THANK YOU that is exactly what I needed. We are sat here now in a very comfortable rugby ball position with restored confidence. Cooper certainly looks happy.

I'm gonna stick with it exclusively a while longer. It's only been 5 days but patience has never been my strong point. Guess it's time to start working on that one.

Funny thing is, if I couldn't feed him, there would be even more tears I'm confident of that.

Thank you all again. I love this place.
X

Glad you're finding things a little easier already. I remember well how painful it is to start with. It's a walk in the park now, so stick with it and you will be so glad you did!!!:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->