Subchorionic hematoma

Feronia

Reaction score
I was in the ER last night for heavy bleeding and cramps, but baby is fine and measuring on track. However, they found a subchorionic hematoma that is causing the bleeding. Have any of you experienced this, or are you experiencing this now?

I had a scan yesterday that showed baby on track for gestation and heartbeat and also had a bleed around the sac but she put hemorrage on notes not heamotoma is there a difference??

It's the same thing. The prognosis is much, much better if you haven't been bleeding though.

No experience myself, but 'haemorrhage' means blood loss, 'haematoma' means a collection of blood where it shouldn't be. One can cause the other and visa-versa, but they are different things. Hope that helps :)

I had 3 between the uterine wall and placenta. I had a very small amount of tan spotting at 7 weeks which I think may have been the start but no bleeding. I could clearly feel my uterus above my pelvic bone at 8 weeks which I now think was due to internal bleeding making it bigger than normal (i'm now 10 weeks pregnant and cant feel anything). I didn't know until my scan at 13 weeks. The doctor recomended complete rest. I did a private scan to check it at 16 weeks and they were much smaller. At 18 weeks they couldn't be seen anymore. I didn't have more problems. After she was born the MW pointed out on the placenta where the seperations had been.

No experience myself, but 'haemorrhage' means blood loss, 'haematoma' means a collection of blood where it shouldn't be. One can cause the other and visa-versa, but they are different things. Hope that helps :)

For some reason, the terms "subchorionic hematoma" and "subchorionic hemorrhage" are used interchangeably, so it's the same thing. I'm guessing it's because there is a hemorrhage, but it collects in a clump in the uterus. I've already lost a ton of blood from it, but it has stopped bleeding for now.

Thanks for your story, Bunny. I hope mine disappears too and I don't have any more bleeds!

From what I could find out it usually takes about 6 weeks to go away once bleeding stops and although it should be taken seriously the chances of things being okay were good. Early on the placenta is growing so fast that it repairs quickly. Later in pregnancy the same thing is much more serious. The damaged parts can't actually repair but the healthy parts soon grow around them leaving only small blemishes.

I had one with my last pregnancy. I spotted brown/pink from 4weeks until 10 weeks, when I had a huge bleed. Unfortunately I lost the baby that day. When I did research after I was diagnosed with it though, I read tons of people had theirs just absorb into their bodies and went on to have completely normal pregnancies. Did they measure yours?

For some reason, the terms "subchorionic hematoma" and "subchorionic hemorrhage" are used interchangeably, so it's the same thing. I'm guessing it's because there is a hemorrhage, but it collects in a clump in the uterus. I've already lost a ton of blood from it, but it has stopped bleeding for now.

Thanks for your story, Bunny. I hope mine disappears too and I don't have any more bleeds!

They are use interchangeably incorrectly. Subchorionic haemorrhage means the bloods escaping, i.e., you get bleeding; subchorionic haematoma means the blood's collecting, i.e., you only know about it if you see it on an ultrasound scan.

Haemorrhage can result in haematoma, and haematoma can convert into a haemorrhage, but as a doctor I can assure you that the two terms are used distinctly to mean different things :flower:

They are use interchangeably incorrectly. Subchorionic haemorrhage means the bloods escaping, i.e., you get bleeding; subchorionic haematoma means the blood's collecting, i.e., you only know about it if you see it on an ultrasound scan.

Haemorrhage can result in haematoma, and haematoma can convert into a haemorrhage, but as a doctor I can assure you that the two terms are used distinctly to mean different things :flower:

It sound's like Emily's doctor should have written hematoma then instead of hemorrhage if she wasn't bleeding. I guess I have both if I have bleeding and the hematoma?

Chelsea, did you ever see your baby on a scan with a heartrate? I was really hoping to hear positive outcomes... :(

Although not formally diagnosed I am sure this is what I have. I had a bad bleed just over 2 weeks ago and thought I had mc but a scan at the epu showed baby and a good hb. I have continued to have varying amounts of brown discharge ever since. I still feel pregnant and am due another scan on Tuesday. Just hoping everything is still ok. The stress is really getting to me though :(

It very well might be. They only saw the SCH with a transvaginal exam and not an abdominal one. Fingers crossed for you.

It sound's like Emily's doctor should have written hematoma then instead of hemorrhage if she wasn't bleeding. I guess I have both if I have bleeding and the hematoma?

Chelsea, did you ever see your baby on a scan with a heartrate? I was really hoping to hear positive outcomes... :(

Yes, since I had two miscarriages previous to my SCH, when I started spotting the doctor wanted to monitor me. I had quite a few ultrasounds. Heart rate was normal until the last day, when it was reading over 200 on my Sonoline B Doppler. The doctor didn't see it right away, either. At first he said he couldn't see where the blood was coming from, then he called back and said he could see a fluid filled sac near the baby (which was the SCH)

Ok please only relate positive outcomes from now on... I'm so worried about this as it is.

I had one without any bleeding. It was spotted at my 7 week ultrasound and gone by my recheck at 10 weeks. Baby looked perfect at her 18 week scan.

Most SCH clears up on it's own, resulting in a healthy pregnancy. Best of luck to you!

they didn't tell me the exact measurements of mine but I remember the size been referred to as 1/3 of something not sure what as I was struggling to take it all in. No bleeding as yet for me but a lot of pain in lower tummy and what feels like my left ovary but will just have to see what happens from now for the other ladies going through this I hope it reabsorbs and corrects itself :) xx

My positive outcome of a SCH was heavy bleeding 12-14 weeks, then it clotted up and slowly reabsorbed by 20w. I was ultra careful and didn't lift anything or exert myself until it was resolved. He is now a year old x

Ps mine was as big as the baby at 12 weeks.

How you doing feronia, have you had any more bleeding.

No more bleeding, but I've had some cramping. Whenever it happens I drink some water, have some cramp bark extract, and lie down until it goes away. Fingers crossed. Thanks for sharing your positive stories! :)

I had SCH with my last baby. They found it at 11 weeks and I still had it when I delivered him at 16 weeks. It was pretty small, never grew bigger and never went down. That being said it didn't cause us any problems. :) It was a little scary knowing the risk and what could come.

**Oh, and we didn't lose him because of that. Didn't want to scare you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->