Such a shallow world...

Twister

Reaction score
I was browsing Facebook earlier and a picture that someone on my friends list had commented on popped up on my news feed. It was a picture (meme I think they're called?) of a female weightlifter lifting weights in the Olympics, couldn't tell you where she was from, with text which reads "can lift 100kgs... But can't pic up a razor". I looked at the comments and there were soooo many people, both men and women saying how disgusting and gross she was for not shaving her armpits.

It just made me think, this woman is actually doing something with her life and achieving something, more than most people ever will achieve and yet people pick fault with her because she has hairy arm pits, I mean really? Is that the world we live in these days??? Someone does something with their life and because they don't fit societies standards and has made a personal choice regarding how they choose to look people would rather poke fun and attack a person rather than acknowledge their talent? What business of anyone else's is it anyway whether someone, especially a woman chooses to remove her body hair or not. And why does it take priority over actually acknowledging someones achievements? I just found it SO judgemental and narrow minded. I know it's only Facebook but sometimes I just can't get over people's attitudes:nope:

I totally agree.
That kind of sneering, mean-spirited attack makes my stomach turn.
And boy is it ever disproportionately aimed at women athletes!
Another story along the same lines: the crazy and ridiculous fuss made over gymnast Gabby Douglas' hair. Could we all just step back and review this? The girl WON A GOLD MEDAL. And some of her fellow Americans skipped that part and instead decided to focus on the fact that her hair was somehow sub-par and that she was letting the side down.
For reals?
:shrug:
Like the pressure of being an elite athlete, an Olympian, isn't enough. Let's make sure we pile on all sorts of bitchy, judgy pressure about your looks, too! :nope:

I'd like to see some of those shallow, narrow minded idiots try and lift 100kg...

There are some places in the world where it is completely normal not to shave. Unfortunately some people forget that.

People can be such idiots :dohh: Unfortunately FB seems to attract stupidity... I find myself in disbelief at a lot of comments on pages/pics.

There were people defending her, saying its her choice and what does it matter and the response was something like "so it's still disgusting and unnatractive, hair on a woman is wrong she looks like a man".I shave under my arms, but wouldn't pick on someone who didn't, it's their body and it's natural. I hardly think she's to fussed about being attractive whilst lifting weights tbh:shrug: and it might be normal where she's from. I just hate how looks take priority over almost everything.

I read about gabby douglas hair-gate and its ridiculous! her hair isn't even bad, idgi? what did they want her to do, wear a weave whilst doing gymnastics?

How stupid and shallow! This is why I love my DF, he doesn't care one bit if I choose not to shave. I for one like having a bit of hair, it gives me character.:coolio:

Haha yeah my oh isn't too bothered either, he does prefer me to not have hairy legs etc but it doesn't put him off or gross him out if i can't be bothered and let it grow a little.

ETA: Just read about the Douglas hair thing, how pathetic is that? Her hair looked fine, no more or less messy than any of the other gymnasts. What does it matter anyway, it's not a beauty contest!:dohh:

I dont like hairy armpits and think it looks gross but not my body therefore I dont have a right to an opinion!

xxx

It would bother me, but fact is.
None of them would say it to her face 'cause she'd bounce those weights off their measly hairless bodies!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->